Winter versus summer soaps? Help!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I read this often, "This is a summer scented soap"...or" "definitely a winter soap".
    I just don't get it...how do you distinguish between a winter scented soap versus a summer scented soap?:signs002:

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't.
    Next soap/scent up in the rotation is the next soap used, regardless of scent or season.

Mike Brown, Tdmsu and dees77 like this.
  3. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Geeesh! The burm...is subjectivity 'en-mass,' eh?:
    If I like a 'mentholated' Lather (or After-shave) in the Summer; can I like it in the Fall? Can I like it in the Winter; if I like it 'most-of-all?'
    And, who's to guide me 'objectively,' when I wan't to choose from-all, a shaving-soap or after shave, when no cool menthol's there at all? (Burma-Sha....ve!) :Animatedfrozensmily: Oh; I just..., well...; want you to have more "Wonderful Shavings" than the (redundantly-spoken) "un-wonderful-ones;" is all! :bounce017:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    CarlfromMO, mylesc1234 and Shaver X like this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

If there's a scent or soap you like wearing more in the winter than the summer, then it's a winter soap/scent. And vice versa. It's all subjective and may not even exist for you. For the most part it doesn't for me.

Slow Joe and swarden43 like this.
  5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I'm partial to citrus, barbershops, and light menthol during the warmer months. On the other hand, I save earthier, woody, or vetiver scents for the winter. Same with Bay Rum, it only comes out when it gets colder. Of course it's all subjective, and it's really all up to you and your personal preferences. Did you have some specific soap scents that you were curious about?

PickledNorthern and entropy1049 like this.
  6. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

I like to use nice warm scents when it gets cold, but when its warm, I do light and airy. There are several soaps, however, that I will use forever

PickledNorthern likes this.
  7. swarden43

Define "warm scent."

8. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

MLS Cocoa Maya, B&M Leviathan, Stirling Ozark mountains.

Scents that are dark, or spicy but not floral and are more heavy. Ozark Mountains doesn't fit this, but there is this inherent warmth to the pine in the scent that I just like on a cool morning

PickledNorthern likes this.
  9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I don't like to segregate soaps to one particular category. I tend to use what I am in the mood for at the moment.

Some people say floral scents are for spring time

Bay Rum for winter,fall

Lime and other citrus scents for summer.

Some scents may bring up memories from a particular season, but I would recommend using a particular scent when you are in the mood for it. YMMV

Demidog and crackstar like this.
  10. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I think most look at citrus scents as summer soaps and more complex scents like tabac as winter soaps.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well this is not a soap but there is a particular cream I like to use in the winter time and it is WARS. The scent is somewhat deep, dark and somewhat complex. I like it in the winter much more than the summer.

12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Round soaps for Summer
    Square or rectangular soaps for Winter

Seriousky, why not just use what you like when you want?

PLANofMAN and swarden43 like this.
  13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Here in SE Louisiana, we rarely get "winter" so I use whatever strikes my fancy. It does get chilly in the winter down here but not enough to make a difference in my selections.

crackstar likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ignore the perfume police and use what you want.

Shaver X and Mike Brown like this.
  15. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I'm not seasonal with my rotation. The soaps and creams I enjoy are used year round--and there is a lot of them!!! I am not a fan of "holiday" scents so one week leads to the next. Menthol overdose in January is enjoyed equally in July. All of my rotation is based on shave quality with scent being less important as my sniffer doesn't work as well as when I was young and foolish, just the foolish part applies now.

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

But... Mine are all round. How do I shave come winter? :D

17. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

In the summertime I like menthol. In the wintertime I like menthol too. But it doesn't get very cold here either :).

18. swarden43

Use a knife to cut the pucks into squares.

tuxxdk likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Thank you - I'll get right to it!

swarden43 likes this.
  20. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Most would say floral and light in the spring, mentholated and citrus in the summer, pumpkin and oaky scents and some sweet scents in the fall, and woodsy and heavier, spicier scents in the winter.

Of course, it's all subjective. It is always nice to have a couple of "seasonals" when the mood strikes, however.

Demidog and youngunn like this.