Winter versus summer soaps? Help!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Sep 9, 2015.

1. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

It's more of a mental thing to me, somehow I just can't get the urge to smell like a tropical breeze when it's 20 degrees outside, same with the menthol. However, there are some I like so much I'll use them anytime.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

There certainly are ones that i would consider year-round scents/soaps. I totally agree with you, though. Stirlings soaps margaritas in the artic is one of my absolute favorite soaps, but it is mentholated...so it doesnt make for a great winter soap.

ohbrian likes this.
  3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Agree totally!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Exactly what is this winter thing you speak of... I live in Florida and we have summer and "not summer "!

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For me it would be very strongly-mentholated soaps in the summer and very strongly-mentholated in the winter! loll

Mike Brown and swarden43 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I just use what I feel like using, summer or winter

Mike Brown, Shaver X and swarden43 like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So it's been a year and a week since you posted this. What have you decided?

8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

@swarden43 ...Well, Steve, oddly enough there are soaps and products I do seem to enjoy more in the summer. This past summer for example, Proraso green preshave cream and Proraso green ASB were products I seemed to use often. A nice fresh cooling scent. And I also finished a puck of Haslinger Schafmilch this past summer. Cella was a soap I used quite often, though I will probably use it through the fall as well.

Now that we are heading into fall I have started using Haslinger Marigold and Saponificio Varecino more often and will probably continue with those two over the fall/winter. And Pre de Provence ASB is another scent I enjoy in cooler weather.

I know you have a regular rotation of soaps, but is there a particular scent you associate more with summer?

swarden43 likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Tabac makes it's way to the front and center when the weather starts to cool off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Perhaps the one scent I most strongly associate with a season is cinnamon and apple with the fall. I don't have any soaps with that scent. May have to rectify that as fall starts in less than a week.

Other than that, I guess I really don't associate scents and seasons.

PickledNorthern and Rusty blade like this.
  11. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

The only difference season makes to me is how I dress to go outside! I enjoy my soaps when they come up in rotation regardless of the season. Others may consider some of my rotation to be seasonal, however, they are in rotation because of performance.

Rusty blade and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Menthol is definitely more of a summer soap but I have only been wet shaving since February of this year so have not gone through a really cold winter yet shaving. I typically save the Menthol for after bodybuilding or running. I currently have a very moisturizing soap with basenotes of incense similar to nag Champa... very strong scent. I can only use that one when it's cold or it's too powerful of a scent, I did not like it in summer.

youngunn likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

It isn't really a conscious thing, but as the weather gets cooler I for sure find myself gravitating towards my soaps that just "feel warm". We are nearing October, and here in MN we have already had a couple of frosts, and this weekend I turned the heat on. In the last couple weeks we have had a lot of damp chilly weather, and I seem to have been picking (and daydreaming about) soaps like this:

Stirling Hot Apple Cider
    Tabac
    Stirling Sandalwood
    Stirling Autumn Glory
    Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
    Tiki's Captain

I have been something of a cold water convert since spring, but the change in the weather also makes me want warm lather and hot water.

I am putting a scuttle on my Christmas list this year.

14. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

My brother bought some of the Stirling hot apple cider stuff for my dads birthday and the bath soap smelled up the whole kitchen. It smells incredible, I kept walking back into the kitchen to get another wiff, now I have to order myself some...

15. PickledNorthern

It is one of my absolute favorites for a fall/winter shave in the evening. Make sure you get the splash with it....

16. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

If you live where it's hot all the time like me, it just doesn't matter. Sometimes I wakeup and feel like something that goes with a good cologne, sometimes I want something like fresh fruit and sometimes I just wake up feeling sandalwoody.

17. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

the typically common method of seasonal soaps is simply based on how it leaves the face. My face prefers tallow soaps, and so when winter comes back.... I simply use a heavier duty tallow soap like cella to help fight wind burn and cold damage to my freshly shaved mug.
    Rest of the year it does matter, normally tallow interspersed with soaps containing glycerine.

18. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I would the majority of my soaps fall into the "year-round" scents...but, there are some I dont really touch in winter (stirlings MITA, south padre, and most menthol soaps)...but, I would say I do prefer the spicy/woody scents in fall/winter.

19. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

This sounds about right to me. I have a green apple and gingerbread scented soap that goes perfectly with the late fall and winter since those scents are associated with the holidays. It's one of my favorite scents but I use it whenever I feel like it. It was one of my main soaps for a while this summer.