with or against the grain?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Chiranjit Bose, Apr 16, 2013.

1. i hear that shaving against the grain is bad for skin... But i dont get total smooths shave untill i shave against the grain..... Is it ok????

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

My shaving store guy said to avoid shaving dead against the grain for the same reason, that it wasn't the best thing for the skin. At this point, I might be inclined to agree with him. I try as much as possible, to use a sort of diagonalish razor path which is a bit more on the cross side than dead against. The reduction seems pretty good with this approach...

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Shaving against the grain is not for everybody...Some peoples faces just will not tolerate it and shouldn't be forced to....Others love it and have no problems from doing it, so if they like, they should go for it.... It depends on the person...the razor....the blade and the blade/razor combo....

There is no yes or no answer to this......But there is more than one way to skin a cat...:eek:....ATG moves are not necessary for a great shave...just one of the ways that works for some people...

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I shave against the grain every day. Yes, seven days a week, three passes. I do not take days off from shaving.
    No problems for me. Been doing it for years.
    But, as has been stated, some people just can't do it.

178-bplatoon and BigT like this.
  5. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I totally agree with swarden43. I also have no problem shaving against the grain but have been doing it for over thirty years. Neither my father or son can do it though and my father has been wet shaving since about 1954.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  6. dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch Active Member

+1for against the grain. I have a tough, wirey beard and as long as the razor isn't crazy aggressive (an adjustable cranked all the way) I can go ATG, no problems.

BigT and 178-bplatoon like this.
  7. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I also shave daily with a Slant or straight and have no problems shaving ATG. I can get close to BBS going diagonally, but to get the last bit I have to go ATG.

BigT, 178-bplatoon and Leo K. like this.
  8. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

When I started shaving with a DE, I thought I couldn't go ATG, because of burn. But I found a blade and razor that works best for my face, and my technique has improved, and now I can go ATG everyday with no irritation or burn.

DLreno, Raven312, youngunn and 2 others like this.
  9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The only razor I have tried it with was an aluminum Tech. I only did that because it's very light and mild; so I figured there wouldn't be much damage done.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I also shave everyday with,across and against the grain. At least three passes and touch up..I've always shaved like that and never had any idea it might be bad for your skin...However I do have a couple of friends who simply can't tolerate going against the grain at all!! I also have a friend who freakin dry shaves, apparently with no problems..It seems to be "VERY" much a YMMV kind of thing....:)

Leo K. and Luteplayers like this.
  11. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I dry shaved quite often when I was in the Navy. Not because I enjoyed it, but because I didn't have time to shave proper before morning quarters. Oh to hr young and dumb again!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

When using my DE razors and Injectors, I always do at least one ATG pass and usually some ATG buffing here and there.....been doing that for years and am very happy with it....

But with my Gem OCMM it's just not necessary, 1 WTG/1 XTG and I'm as BBS ....well actually more BBS than from my Turkish Barber:happy108:...Funny...now that I think about it....I need to do an ATG pass and maybe a little buffing with my shavette to come close to the OCMM shave...ha,ha...

Erik Redd likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy088: OHH YES to be young,dumb and full of...well you know...:) I never thought those days would end and now they are "LONG" gone...oh well I survived and it was fun while it lasted...:happy097:

14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Why do you shave for the army? Been wondering this for some time..

15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I can't get a decent shave without one or two ATG passes. XTG helps and looks okay, but to feel a smooth face, I need the ATG. I use a straight razor and find that buffing troublesome areas helps if you can't go ATG.

16. swarden43

Required in all branches of the military.
    Facial hair prevents a gas mask from getting a good seal on your face.

BigT and youngunn like this.
  17. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Ahh okay. I didn't knew that. Here you can grow whatever you want on your face.

I cant imagine a wet/dry shave without prep and time, must be killing :-/

18. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

That makes sense though the navy seems to be the exception. Besides shear tradition of having beards, maybe the wearing of such a contrivance isn't really an issue aboard an ocean vessel...

19. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I shave daily for work, usually 6 days a week and not on sunday because that is my day off. I like many others go for a 3pass shave with touch-ups and go against the grain with no issues. I can do this with every vintage Gillette & Merkur that I own, as well as with my injectors. When I first started DE shaving I got a little irritation, but I think once my technique improved and my face adjusted it no longer became an issue. The blade razor combo no longer matters for me as much as it used to either. I basically can put any blade in my Gillette New or Merkur Classic and get good shaves. There is at least one of two blades that tug a little that I try and avoid though.

Leo K. likes this.
  20. swarden43

Beards are no longer allowed in the Navy, according to Navy Grooming Standards.