With or against the hair?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by flettaloff, Jan 8, 2014.

1. flettaloff

flettaloff Member

Shall I shave with the hairs or against the hairs?
    I've heard if you shave against the hair will be ingrained?

Sorry if the english is bad, i'm from Norway!;)

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Most folks make three passes, wetting the face and lathering up before each pass.
    The first pass is with the grain, or with the hairs, as you say. We abbreviate it WTG.
    The second pass is across the grain, XTG, or 90 degrees to the direction the hair grows.
    The third, and for many, the final pass is against the grain, ATG. Not all people can go ATG without ingrown hairs or irritation. Many can; I'm one of the fortunate ones who can without any problems. I say "fortunate" because it allows me another pass and prolongs my shave time :D

The wisest thing you can do is to map your beard; find out what direction all the hairs grow on your face. Only then will you know for sure if you are going WTG, XTG, or ATG.

And don't worry about your English - I can't even speak Norwegian! (or any other language, for that matter)

JBSharp, BigT, 2grubswrestle1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

For me, it depends on the razor. If I use a mild razor like a Gillette Tech, I do two passes: one with, one against. If I'm using a very aggressive razor, I do two passes with. The same also goes for a new razor until I get a feel for it.

What you should try is beard reduction. That just means shaving bits if stubble off with each pass. Don't try to get everything done with the first pass. It's ok to miss stubble. Just go back for a second pass at an angle that suits you.

Your English is very good. I speak Spanish, some French, some Hebrew, some Arabic, and some Italian. Regrettably, I don't speak Norwegian.

BigT likes this.
  4. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Try it and you'll see what suits you best , my first shaves were WTG only, when I stopped letting blood every shave I progresses. YMMV (your mileage may vary) ...you'll get that a lot around here :D

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hey! Welcome to the den! Your English is fine.

6. flettaloff

flettaloff Member

Thanx for good answers!;) I'll try and fail!;)

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "flettaloft"................I hope you enjoy it here....:)
    Your English is better than my Norwegian...:happy088:

What many newbies do at first is shave with the grain(WTG) only...Then as you get used to wet shaving, find the correct preasure and angle for your face and develop your technique more, you can start going across(XTG) and against(ATG) the grain...When I first started I concentrated on getting a comfortable,irritation, nick free shave, rather than a super close shave...I feel a comfortable DFS is better than an uncomfortable BBS....With time, your technique will improve and closer shaves will just come naturally..Time, Technique,Practice and Pateince are key to a good shave...:D

8. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Welcome...great advice here!! I would not even be able to try to ask questions in Norwegian! !

9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!

10. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

+1 on Eddie's comment on starting progressively.

The fact that not everyone's first language isn't English is what makes this forum so great! Lots of different customs and culture, yet everyone still loves wet shaving!

dscaver likes this.
  11. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Welcome to the Den. Hope you like it here. Let us know how your shaving skills are progressing.

12. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Welcome. I myself am new to wet shaving. I have already found tons of useful info here at TSD.

13. flettaloff

flettaloff Member

I tried wtg, then xtg and atg at the end and it came out really good!;) cut my self a couple og time! ;)

Really good advices here guys!;)
    Thanx!!;)

JBSharp likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great! Stick with it; it only gets better!! :happy088: