withdrawn

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fram773, Nov 7, 2013.

1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

withdrawn

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    BigT likes this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Around here I think most people appreciate good razors so it might be tough to find a really good one that's underrated. :)

Monkeylord and Ryan B like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Weishi 9306 IMO.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The "Star" DE's although just a Gillette Tech clone are nice....The handles look really nice I only wish they were stouter like a Gillette "Fat" handle tech..:)

fram773 likes this.
  5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Im guessing they're still brass and not pot metal?

6. 178-bplatoon

Yes as far as I know they are made of brass...Nice looking little razors, they come in Gold and Nickle... I got mine off of ebay a couple of years ago fairly cheap....:)

fram773 likes this.
  7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Yes, the Schick has been "discovered". I remember paying something like $7.50 for mine in excellent shape. They run $20-25 now. Very nice shaver, if a little non-aggressive. If you don't have a tuff old beard it's a good one!

fram773 likes this.
  8. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Well Ido have a tuff old beard......or old at least and I have my father"s in rotation. Crackin good. I have my father"s and it shaves great.

jeraldgordon and BamaT like this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

If your on ebay looking for vintage razors you need patience...The prices rise and fall,while in general the prices are higher you can still get good deals out there if you put in some time to hunt them up..

The SE's (Gem 1912,Damaskeen,1915,G bar,Featherweight,Micromatic OC and CC, the EverReady's to name a few) are also a good bargin,as they shave well and are generally less expensive, except for ones like the ER "Streamline"..The one I like that isn't that popular yet, but works "VERY" well for me at least, is the EverReady 1924 "shovelhead"..The way the 1924 cap opens is unique(it's hinged on the front sides of the cap and locks at the back) it makes for a very secure blade hold...Many of the SE shave heads are threaded for 10/32 threads and can be used with your favorite(3 piece) DE handles for variety, all you need is a 10/32 set screw..:happy088:

alpla444 and fram773 like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Vintage? The Weishi Company was founded in 1984.
    I guess it comes down to how you define "vintage" or "antique." I may be wrong, but I don't believe a definitive answer exists.
    That being said, I guess for some 1984 could be vintage. If so, that just makes me feel that much older :(

:D

LifesShort and Monkeylord like this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gillette OLD OC. For double edge it is the absolute in vintage. Great razor.

12. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You should definitely try one and see. I have a tough beard and Gem type SE's don't work for me. I tried both the carbon steel blades from CVS and the PTFE coated stainless GEM blades. Both tugged really hard on my beard. Injectors work wonderfully for me though.

14. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I would also recommend SE's, either Schick injectors or Gem/EverReadys. Any of the Gem Micromatics or a Schick G or I would be good choices and are not hard to find at good prices.

15. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, Brother! I heard a band from my teen years on classic rock station the other day. :angry017:

LifesShort likes this.
  16. Weeper Warrior

Krona for sure! Schick Injectors as well because it takes very little if any skill to get a great shave with one.

Not sure if you would really call it underrated or not as prices have gotten high the Rocket HD 70gram model. It is the greatest shaver I have used but the fancier handle of the other Britocrat types get a lot more chatter and respect.

17. Weeper Warrior

Well.......I got my drivers license that year you were born. MMM.....I was thinking Rosanne was an '80s show. Who knows.... when people ask me my age now, I have to think on it for awile.

18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I love my Schick Krona. I'd say check out BST threads for them too. My Krona is my number two razor.

Also, try out Gillette Slim. It's like having nine razors in one.

19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

There's a clearance on Fatips at Bull Goose. Might as well check it out.

fram773 likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would say that the standard Gillette flare tip super speed is one of the most overlooked razors of all. It was made for over 40 years with virtually no changes to it's design.

Many shavers here ignore it because it is either too common, or they feel it is too mild of a shaver. I am surprised that most new wet shavers seem to be starting off with the EJ 89, rather than a vintage SS. Maybe it is a sign of how mainstream wet shaving has become.

feeltheburn and HolyRollah like this.