Woah...Shoulda stopped sooner

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JohnDB, Mar 19, 2017.

1. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

As I've stated before that I got a couple of Vintage Straight Razors from Whipped Dog to replace my shavette.
    I was really looking forward to the smiling blade over the singing blade.
    So...I stropped it lightly when it came in just like the other.
    I was looking forward to the shave this morning.
    Last night I noticed that the blade was curled over. (From sharpening too much on one side)
    So I worked it some more.
    This time putting it to the rock hard wool until it felt better and then put it to the leather.

I figured that I had solved the issue...And grabbed it up this morning.

YYYYEEEEEOOOOOWWWWWCH

The first pass about ripped the hair out of my face. But I didn't quit. I kept going adjusting my angle and pressure. Finally I couldn't take it any longer.
    I was thinking that my shavette does better and closer and a lot more comfortable...
    So I grabbed up my singing blade.
    Ahhh....That worked so much better.
    So I finished Shaving with it. But half of my face and neck still feeling the burn of my smiling blade.

I'm still feeling it hours later.

So much ahead of schedule I've cracked out my 1micron diamond spray and hosed down my wool felt with it in hopes I can put a comfortable edge on the blade.

If not I got two hard Arkansas oil stones that probably can fix my issue. (Made for honing)
    And from pictures I've discovered that unlike a chef's knife angle dragging a stone works much better for razors.
    Where I'm sure that Larry would make good on the blade...I know that at some point I will need to fix this sort of thing myself.
    The bevel looks fine. But obviously the thing isn't sharp enough.

So I'm hoping that the diamond spray will fix my issue.

Ideas?
    Suggestions?
    (Other than stop being an idiot and stop when things are wrong...Got that one myself)

Keithmax, Jim99, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

You are Jumping Way Ahead of Yourself Here..Diamond this & Arkansas that..If the Edge has been Damaged like it Sounds it Probably Needs Taken Back to the Hone..Maybe..12 K or 8 K..An Arkansas Finisher or Diamond Spray Wont Fix a Damaged Edge..;)

Billy..:chores016:

3. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

IMG_20170319_140708734~2.jpg
    Now one of these is a pink honing stone and the other is a white stone.
    (They are grey from age and use but level and straight)
    They aren't made for sharpening with water but instead with oil. I bought these over 35 years ago. (Long before your micron scale was ever heard of) They have honed many a knife to razor sharp. There is also a coarse stone for creating a bevel...But it is worn and needs lapping.
    I figured that they should work for sharpening the razor.
    Are you saying that they probably won't do an acceptable job.

Obviously you think that the edge is somehow damaged. I wouldn't think that of Larry considering his excellent reputation and references.
    And the other razor was just fine.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Keithmax, Spyder, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. Billyfergie

I Am Going by Youre Shave Report..You Said there was Issues with the Edge..The Blade Can be Damaged by Stropping..I Get Many SRs Messed Up By Beginners Sent for Honing..Arkansas Lower Grit Stones Can Be Used as a Progression & Repair..Yeah..But..Not All Arkansas Stones are Fit for SRs..I Don't Know what those Stones are..;)

Also..Lapping them is a Big Job & they are Far from Ideal in My Books for Learning to Hone On..A Naniwa 12 K Stone is Probably a Good Place to Start..But..Hey..That's Me Talkin..:)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  5. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Well I done it anyway. LOL

I cleaned off the dust and old steel out of them stones and taped up the spine.
    Then worked out the curl in the edge.

Then took it to the finer stone and started buffing.

Never done a straight razor before...So I went really gentle. And boy howdy was I right in doing so. That edge is sooooo thin it kept trying to curl from the polishing. I couldn't put any pressure at all. The tape was providing more drag than the steel ever dreamed of but the edge was trying to curl just the same.

But I got it polished down smooth (under magnification)

Then I took it to my pressed wool with diamond spray.

Then the leather.

Now it seems to be passing the HHT.

So in a couple of days when my face heals up I'm going to try to do this again...And clean up my face to BBS. One way or another.

Spyder, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Very Good..:happy088:

JohnDB and Karl G like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

So, this is your first attempt at honing a razor? If it passes the HHT, that's a good start.
    I will be waiting for the results of the shave.

8. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Yeah...It passed but not exactly to the standard that I would like.
    I'm thinking that I need to spend some more time buffing that edge.
    So while my face is healing tomorrow I'm going to spend some more time buffing that edge out a bit more till it's like my other razor from Larry. It's close now...But not exactly as sharp. And I want it to give BBS shaves.

And as far as my honing talents...
    I'm not an average guy in this. I've had lots of practice over the years with my chef's knives. They all are sharp... Almost as sharp as a razor that one might shave with but the angle is different in order to get it to last. And so they will give a rough shave like I started having this morning. But in the meantime I'm very comfortable and have steady hands when it comes to this.
    Every knife's steel is a bit different. Even if made by the same factory.

This razor's steel seems really hard till it gets really thin then it gets really soft.

So if what I'm attempting doesn't work... I'll admit it. I got a friend here in town who used to restore straight razors. His wife made him stop when she distracted him one day while he was sharpening one and he sliced his thumb wide open. (I know right?)

He still has all his equipment and stuff...Just stashed away. (Till either I get it from him or his wife relents)

So either way I'm going to take control of the sharpness of the knife at my throat. I've studied sharpening and honing knives for years from microscopic pictures to hands on practice. It can't be that much of a stretch from what I've already done.

My neck is crying out for a smiling blade and I'm looking to make it hush.

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  9. DaltonGang

I'm self taught too, and I had many years of sharpening nice chefs knives at home, as well as many other types of knives. I will say, that honing a razor is nothing like honing a knife. Completely different techniques. The hones make or break an edge. Even if it can cut a hanging hair, the blade might not be smooth, due to the types of stones used to sharpen it. Look at the edge under a 60x loupe. the edge on a razor should be smooth an almost polished, if done right. Not needed on a Chefs knife. Watch some well respected honing videos, and that should explain a lot.
    That said, I do hope you have done a good job on the razor, and it gives you a fantastic shave.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  10. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I haven't put it under that strong of magnification...And yes...The strokes are different. I got a microscope good for looking at the man on the steps on old pennies...Guess I'll pull it out for this.
    But my stones are old... Maybe too old and too used. I might have to get more junk. (I've got lots)
    So if I can't pull this off with what I've got... I'll bite the bullet and grab an 8-12k waterstone.
    I'm leaning towards that in light of what you have said.
    Maybe all 4 different k waterstones.

Other than the stones anything else I need to get?

Karl G likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Please tell me what that means? :signs002:

Spyder, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Sorry, HHT(Hanging Hair Test).
    I use my wife or daughters hair to test the sharpness of my razors. . They are blond and very fine. Coarser dark hair isn't much of a challenge.

15. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

A fine, thin hair that will be caught and cut by a razor without the added resistance of being held in place by skin or follacle. IOW the hair being cut is just hanging out there in mid air.

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you gentlemen. :)

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I find the HHT just an indicator. I've had razors that would pass that test, but still have an uncomfortable shave. My final test is TST (the shave test) :) Of course I ain't no honemeister neither ;)

18. DaltonGang

You are very right. For me, if the edge is clean of any nicks, corrosion, etc., and passes the HHT, then the shave should go well. That's why a 60x loupe inspection of the entire edge is done during and after the honing of every blade. But, I have have 1-2 razors that are stubborn, and in the end, I found the steel just stunk. Some steel will just give out after a few strokes of a shave, but still pass the HHT before the shave. That can drive a person crazy. There are several reasons, in my opinion that steel has gone "Bad".
    Oh I'm no "Honemeister" either. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :rofl:

19. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I've been reading about hones...
    And from what I've read I don't have a great feeling about what I've accomplished at this point. And all the hones are more $ than I have tied up in razors at this point.

Somebody mentioned some kind of fine grit sandpaper of sorts (on a piece of flat granite or glass) as an inexpensive alternative to stones. Anyone know of a quality vendor for such? (A link would be awesome)

I've only got two razors and ain't planning on getting into business here for restoring them. I just wanna shave.

Crowne & Crane, Spyder and Karl G like this.
  20. DaltonGang

If you only have two straight razors, and don't plan on expanding your collection greatly, then I would suggest having a resident "Honemeister" do a professional hone : one on them. Then just invest in a decent strop, and some Chromium oxide. This should keep the blades shave sharp for a long while. If you want to take a baby step into stones, for your professionally honed blades, you could get a nice 12-16k finishing stone. This should keep the two razors sharp for years.