World Spice Merchants; spices galore

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by MTgrayling, Mar 18, 2009.

1. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I try to rarely recommend specific brands, places or businesses, but I just have to give a shout for World Spice Merchants. I first ordered from them about 5 years ago when I was looking to try Long Pepper and have since put in a few more orders. This place has an awe inspiring selection that you'd be unlikely to find anywhere else and very decent prices. I can particularly recommend the KC and Memphis BBQ rubs along with the Poultry rub. They have some interesting Mole seasoning as well. The Worcestershire powder is a real favorite and the Wasabi is some of the strongest I've experienced.

http://www.worldspice.com/home/home.shtml

The coolest thing about the place is they'll send out the spice order with an invoice you pay later. Not too many people do business like that these days. Very cool.

Edit: How could I forget the Jerk rub?

2. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I dunno how you could forget the jerk rub! This is my go-to place for the spice supply in this house. Easy to do business with and when I did have a problem, the company fixed it Pronto! Spice blends, herbs, teas, they have it or ya probably don't need it anyway ;)

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Looks like a really cool place....

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thanks, I placed an order, pretty much for everything you listed. :) This will be awesome for coming up with new jerky marinades and seasonings. I love the feel of the site too.

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

My feelings almost exactly. I haven't had a snafu yet, thankfully, but I'm sure it would be easy to deal with as you say.

I really bet it is. I had a buddy that called me from the store when he moved west a few years ago, I only wish smell could be sent through a cell phone. :D

Oh, I'll bet you'll come up with something wonderful. The Worcestershire powder would be ideal for jerky recipes! Jerked Jerky? Mmm.

I'm done buying spice in the supermarket as it never seems as fragrant or fresh and usually costs more.

6. MsBlackwolf

The powdered Worcestershire is awesome stuff. The Alderwood smoked salt is great for pasta dishes and all sorts of BBQing. I use their other spices, Rosemary, sage, etc. Very high end of quality, and in as large or small amount as I wish to buy.

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I have some of the Alderwood smoked salt, but never found a good use for it. I'll have to try it with pasta. So far I've only tried it on roasted potato's. It is strongly flavored and very aromatic in my experience.

Any tips for the black lava flake salt? Cool stuff that I have no idea what to do with.

8. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I have actually been to that store when I last went to Seattle. It was a great store, I could have bankrupted myself if I bought everything I wanted!

9. MsBlackwolf

I haven't ordered any of the black lava flake salt, so can't help you there. With the smoked salt..a little is probably more than you need. I substituted aprox 1/2 the normal amount of salt I would normally use with the smoked and held off with the regular salt to see how it went. easy to get too much of a good thing. I've tried it in a pasta dish with tomato/basil sauce and it worked out well. Added to BBQ sauce works, just leave out any other smoke flavoring or it'll kill ya. I make my own BBQ sauce as most commercial brands either taste like chile powder or glorified ketchup, so I get to experiment all I want. Dang it! now I'm hungry again. Rack of ribs, potato salad, cole slaw....:pot