Worst-Smelling Aftershave in Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by boyextraordinare, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Worst? Jovan Musk for Men. Hock ptui!

Weishi Warrior likes this.
  2. Lola Crazy

Lola Crazy New Member

Jovan Musk For Men has the same scent that Musk AV does. Or at least thats how it smells to me.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

For me it absolutely has to be Barbasol Pacific Rush...I was out looking for small containers to put my soaps in today and happened to see Barbasol Pacific Rush on the shelf and I said to myself "Self, perhaps that there Barbasol Pacific Rush would smell good on you and it is cheap to boot."

BAD idea! This smell is sticking around like no tomorrow. It has this sickly sweet, yet nasty smell and it makes me want to puke. Yanno that feeling you get when you climb in your car and you smell dog poo and you say to yourself "Self, I really hope that is not dog poo on my shoes" then you look and yep! you do have dog poo on your shoes...might as well throw those shoes out because that stink is not going away anytime soon.

I will take that dog poo on my shoes smell over Barbasol Pacific Rush ANY day!

Barbasol Pacific Rush; bad idea at any price! :signs113

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

english leather and stetson.

5. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

May I bump this old thread?

I do not like Old Spice and Pinaud Clubman
    An apparently I felt the need to tell everyone :)

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :happy102:
    I'm surprised to find so much hate for Pinaud Clubman. To me, a whiff of Barbacide, a little Pinaud Clubman and Vitalis hair tonic transports me to the barbershops of my youth. Old Spice is another favorite of mine. To me they are classic, timeless scents. If you don't like those, you should probably stay away from British Sterling as well.

The crap from the 70's- early 90's on the other hand, suck. Jovan musk, Canoe, Cool Water, Polo Green, Halston Z-14 and Ralph Lauren Safari are horrible...and I'll add Joop to that list as well.

I'm not sold on many of the newer "metrosexual" scents that are marketed now either. I do like one unisex scent, Bvlgari Black, though the scent does not last long.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Pinaud Bay Rum
    Aqua Velva

edit: The Veg. Worst of all. Rancid cat pee in a bottle.

8. Unforgivun

Unforgivun Member

I like Cool Water - in the summer. I should say I like the scent itself, more so as a cologne. The aftershave aspect of it doesn't offer any cooling, lotion benefits of even Barbasol.

Worst scent I've found again was also a cologne - not an aftershave really, but it was called Thalium. Wife got it for me for Christmas one year. It was a super super sweet smell. Most colognes/AS I've tried seem to get milder as the day goes on. This stuff just hung around, gave me a headache. Horrible. Brut was pretty bad also.

Wife's favorite scent is Mambo.

9. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Brut, mainly because of a bullying incident in Jr High School.

I also don't understand all the hate for Pinaud Clubman. I love the smell and how it stays with me most of the day.

10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I haven't used Brut in many years, but never cared for it.

11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I agree with Stetson. I didn't like English Leather either. Mostly, I base my opinions on my sister and girlfriend. If they think it smells good, I'll wear it. My dad used to wear Brut. The only scent I get from him now is Axe. I hate Axe.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You just got a bad bottle.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tolerable: current English Leather (vintage/original may not be perfect but is FAR superior...new stuff can be tweaked and improved at home, though)

Disappointing: Skin Bracer green

Bad (tie):
    a. original ('60s) Brut (horribly overpowering, like being hit in the nose with a scent sledgehammer. Believe it or not, Dollar General's knockoff is more subtle thus superior, esp. when vetiver is added)
    b. Old Spice Leather. Just didn't work. Reminds me of Duck Dunne's best (maybe only) line in "The Blues Brothers."

Worse (tie):
    a. Pinaud Clubman. Would be decent if not for that mysterious, clinging, cloying, gagging note that just will not go away.
    b. Pinaud Bay Rum. Should be called Pinaud Clove Cigarettes Soaked in Cinnamon Oil and Rubbing Alcohol.

Worst (tie):
    a. The Veg, even after decanting/recanting and prolonged airing out. Male cats consider it competition and try to cover it with their own scent. Should be regulated.
    b. Axe. Combination of bug spray and various Lysol scents. Allergy-inducing every time I'm around someone wearing it (no joke). Should be banned.

On the other end of the scale...

Good: Tabac a/s (cologne, too).

Very Good: Superior 70. Possibly the best (meaning "pleasantly scented and least likely to offend") bay rum ever. Would be great to wear to a Christmas party.

Yummy (tie)
    a. AV Musk if cut with Avon Leather or Aramis (trust me...just trust me)
    b. Aubrey Men's Stock Herbal Pine deo. Plainer but better than Pino Silverstre, imo.

Must Have: vintage Avon Island Lime. Smells like limes and other complementary things. Clean and crisp, not at all sweet or candy-like. Manly.

Best (3-way tie...all extinct, sadly):
    a. vintage Avon Leather. Raw, distilled, concentrated masculinity in a bottle. Not for anyone incapable of growing facial hair. Will cause hipsters, poseurs and other irony-based life forms to spontaneously combust.
    b. vintage Stanley Home Products Points North. Indescribably, lushly green.
    c. Burma Bey a/s. From the early '60s. The only barbership-powdery a/s I've ever tried that was done right.

Monkeylord and jeraldgordon like this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

ROTFOL! Quote of the week!

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :happy097:

tuxxdk and jeraldgordon like this.
  16. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

I will tell ya....my most hated aftershave of all time.....well of the times iv been using aftershaves.....is none other than..... SUPERIOR 70 BAY RUM. At first use of this stuff I didn't even take a test whiff of the bottle just splashed it right on. Smelt like horse piss! Im really surprised tho from the posts on this thread.....theres a lot of my favorites listed lol crazy how people differ!

Heres a small list of my favs tho!
    1.Lucky Tiger***
    2.Vitos-Tobacco***
    3.Barbasol-all 3!! Pacific Rush-Brisk and Musk
    4.Figaro
    5.Arko-Ice Mint
    6.Pinaud Clubman***
    7.Aqua Velva- Ice Blue

17. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

My father used to say Hock ptui! That just brought back great memories! Thank you.

Also, I cant stand Master Challenge After Shave Lotion!

18. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Interesting perpectives... one mans poison is another mans elixir of olfactory wonder!

How about AS that transforms on your skin? I find Clubman Vanilla goes on smelling like, well I'm not sure - some sort of industrial solvent? But, after mellowing for 3-4 minutes it smells wonderful, and the ladies in my family come give me kisses on the cheek!

19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Here's what I wear: Vurt Black (discontinued,) Issue No. 1 Platinum, C.O. Bigelow Elixir Black, Man's Pull and Bear. I have a sample of Dolce and Gabbana that i haven't tried yet.

My sister and girlfriend both said that Old Spice smells old and cheap, but I still like it. They also are women of a new generation, so that's your answer.

20. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Do not trust a woman who doesn't like Old Spice - just saying... and don't say I didn't warn you! :sad038:

gorgo2, Ryan Bales and PLANofMAN like this.