Wosty Wedge Project

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Kevin, those scales are gorgeous!

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Looking good!

Kizurra and Billyfergie like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

More time on the Wosty wedge:
    Two more base coats added to the inside of the scales. Once this dries, I'll begin the first hand-sanding.
    To save time (and coats), I'm using the thicker formulation (orange label CA glue vs the thinner red-labeled version).
    [​IMG]

Finishing the blade: I left off months ago on this blade with 400 grit compound; (80>180>240>400), reducing some pitting from the blade face. Wedge grinds are far more forgiving than hollow-grounf blades when removing steel (duh!). I put this blade through a series of 'laps' on the buffer with 600 grit, minimizing the scratches as I went. The final go-round on the buffer is with black emery compound to buff out surface scratches and imperfections visible from the previous compounds.

This is normally a two-handed process, but I needed one hand to photograph the process...:D
    [​IMG]

Early stages as I continue to smooth out the surface, reducing the 'waviness' still present. I'm not looking for a 'true' mirror finish which requires far more time and effort than I'm willing to spend. Additionally, any imperfection in the blade (pits, gouges, etc) become more pronounced in a mirror-like finish. Getting close below, with still some softening to be done nearer the heel.
    [​IMG]

After another 20 minutes or so....This'll do just fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bookworm, Keithmax, 45auto and 8 others like this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

@HolyRollah, if you need a completely unbiased opinion on your skills, feel free to send me the finished razor, and I will judge your workmanship for an undetermined amount of time... :D Seriously, excellent work. She's gonna be a beauty when you get finished.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You've got some serious skills, Kevin.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Beautiful.

Kizurra, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thank you for both the compliments and generous offer! ;)
    Thanks, Jim! This one has been fun...so far!

BTW: someone PM'd me asking about the photos above with the 2nd ring with Hebraic symbols on my finger. A gift from my wife on our 2006 trip to Israel (we've matching bands); It is Hebrew for "Be still and know I am God" (Psalm 46:10)

SRNewb, 45auto, Kizurra and 6 others like this.
  8. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I was curious about that, too. Cool story.

Kizurra, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wow, you sure can get it to shine.
    Out of curiosity, is there less heat generated, on the blade, when you use a larget buffing wheel??

Kizurra and Billyfergie like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes. Even then, you have to keep an eye on the temps as the steel can heat up dramatically fast. This is especially a concern on full-hollow blades. Wedges, to me, are easier to control due to the thickness. I've had several large hollow grind blades crack....
    :angry019:

8/8" full-hollow; $350 razor to......nada.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That is a fine looking blade. :happy036:

Kizurra, HolyRollah and Billyfergie like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I hear you. It scared the $&$# out of me, polishing the Dubl Duck Dwarf. Paper thin blade.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Heavy, too...with a skinny little tang and tail. Because of this discrepancy in size, I'll have to see how tight to make the pins at the hinge in order to keep the razor in the open position.

14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Interesting challenge that I'd never have thought of. :duel: Talk about your first world problems... :)

Keithmax, Kizurra and Billyfergie like this.
  15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm enjoying watching this process. Thank you.
    Nice ring!

Billyfergie, Kizurra and Karl G like this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Kevin, that's great work!

Billyfergie, Kizurra and Karl G like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Scale CA Finish Application Process continues...

After having applied and let dry thoroughly several 'base coats' to inside of the rosewood scales, its time for sanding. I'm using 400 grit w/d sandpaper and lightly smoothing out the coats of CA.
    [​IMG]

What you are trying to avoid are 'low spots' in the finish— areas that reveal themselves as 'shiny' spots where the CA has pooled. These need to be removed in order to have a uniform, level finish.
    You can see these low spots as the light reflection reveals the location. I'll continue sanding lightly until they are no longer visible...
    [​IMG]

Two more thick coats of CA applied. I like to work in indirect sunlight as I've found it (bright sunlight) reveals uneven areas in the finish and areas where more attention is required...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final sanding: I've nearing completion of hand-sanding work on the scale on the right...
    [​IMG]

One scale inside finished: 400 grit > 800 grit > 1000 grit > 1500 grit > 2000 grit.
    Leaves a smooth, hard glass-like finish on the scale. No one will really ever see much of the finish since it resides on the inside of the scales, but its a start...
    [​IMG]

The other inside scale section was competed in the same manner. On to the OUTSIDE....

The medium CA goes on quick thick but coats easily. Thin CA is darn near like water and require MANY more coats to achieve the same coverage. Both will work, but having gone the 'thin CA' route before, I opted for the thicker MED.
    Here is one coat of CA on the outside. Sure. it looks uneven and globbish...but it will all be evened out come sanding time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

400 grit sanding after TWO coats...
    You can see quite easily in this photo the low points (dark & shiny) in the finish. Further sanding required. For a good resulting finish, THIS is the area where the work invested pays off.
    [​IMG]

Detail:
    [​IMG]

More coats & other good stuff to come....

Kizurra, Jim99, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  18. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

The Rosewood is gorgeous, as are the blades.
    But those two pipe razors on the far right in the first post make my breathing funny. Can't wait to see when you get to them.
    But first, I need popcorn for this thread. :D

Kizurra, Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Mike.
    One of those Pipes (far right) was pretty far gone (blade and tang deeply mottled from black rust) so I dont know if the razor ever made it across the finish line.

On the rosewood scales: I've applied several more coats of CA to the scales and am nearing the final sanding stages.
    My progress on the razor in this thread has been slightly hampered by some carpal-tunnel inflammation rearing its ugly head.
    I have to pace myself on the workload to avoid any long-term issues on my wrist.
    :sad038:

20. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I understand; definitely pace yourself, and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Kizurra, Billyfergie, twhite and 2 others like this.