Would you care to opine on a Merkur Progress?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by memoryleak, May 5, 2010.

1. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

Thinking of buying one (in nearly new condition) mostly to say I have an adjustable in the fold, curiosity, and as a candidate for the Mergress mod.
    More than happy with current stable of 34c, EJ 89L, couple of Super Speeds and Techs. Hey, haven't bought a razor in ages. ;)

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I think the Progress is the best of the Merkur adjustable razors (the Futur and Vision are too heavy for me) - I loved mine until I traded it for two pipes :D

3. Shaving.ie

Shaving.ie New Member

The Progress is my favourite DE razor. I like the ability to dial in different blade angles at each pass depending on how things are going.

You said you have an EJ 89L. I just recently got to inspect one up close, they are stunning and feel perfect in hand. That has to be my next on my list of must have razors.

4. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

The Progress is a great DE

Issy

5. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

The Progress is by far the best razor that I have used. Have used about 7 different ones including a Fat Boy and Gillette Red tip. While the FB and the RT are of great quality, so is the Merkur. The Progress gives a very good , long lasting shave. You MUST maintain focus with technique for the entire shave and for each pass. Not a very forgiving razor, but offers a very fine shave. On a 3 setting, it is the MOST aggressive razor that I've used with exception to a st8. Never tried a Merkur slant, so can't speak of that one in comparison, but I would say that the Progress is well worth the money spent, and it will be a great heirloom one day.

6. Shaving.ie

Shaving.ie New Member

If you think the Progress is aggressive you should try the Futur;)
    ________

7. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

I think the Futur is probably the best of the current adjustable razors out there, it blow the doors off of the Progress IMO.

8. Shaving.ie

Shaving.ie New Member

Will there ever be an iKon adjustable?

9. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

Agreed!

10. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

I lost the last 3 Apollo Mikron razors that showed up on eBay - think that made in all stainless steel would be a pretty interesting razor.

Attached Files:

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I haven't used the Futur, but I have used the Progress. It has to be the best razor I have used but it is also the most aggressive I have used, even more so than the GEM Micromatics. I got some of the closest and longest lasting shaves ever with it but also got the worst cut to date. I have heard that quality can be hit or miss though but the one I had was impeccable.

If it weren't for that damn plastic knob I would say that it couldn't get any better, maybe the same, but not better.

Bottom line, get one. For that matter, get the Futur at some point as well.

12. Shaving.ie

Shaving.ie New Member

Yes it would.. Look forward to maybe seeing that one day!

13. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

Thanks for all the input guys but the deal fell through. Still keeping the eyes open fo rthe next deal.

14. Gillu

Gillu Member

I received the Progress 500 yesterday and I have to say, the first thing that struck me was how short the handle was. It is extremely short. If I could choose again I'd wait for the long-handled ones to be back in stock. But then, patience is a virtue and it is a virtue I am sadly lacking. The first shave was good but not close. Then again I shaved on a wimpy 1 but tomorrow I'm going to crank it up to 4. Throw caution to the wind ey. I will post another update once I have had a few more shaves.

15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I recently got my progress converted to a Bull Mastif by Bob and I have to say it's the best razor I own. It really surprised me. Bob's Progresses are numbered 1-8. I set mine on 5 and it was the closest, smoothest shave I've had yet.

Good luck on your search.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. Gillu

Gillu Member

Thanks mate. I'm going to look into it.