Yardley Shaving Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fido, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Fido

Fido Member

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Lucky dog...I'd love to try it.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'd love to get my hands on one of these :)

Congratulations!

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Me too, if it wouldn't be too expensive.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Congrats!... I have been using Yardley bath soap lately and kept thinking that it was a shame that Yardley shaving soap isn't around anymore.

6. heirkb

heirkb New Member

I'm in the exact same situation.

7. Fido

Fido Member

I telephoned Yardley today and told them about the enthusiasm for this soap. The lady I spoke to thanked me and accepted my suggestion to have a look at what is being said on the shaving forums. Who knows - they may take notice!

8. RnR

RnR Member

Personally, I think public consciousness of both the "Yardley" brand and wet shaving in general have increased and I'll have to begrudgingly acknowledge Gillette and their latest infernal contraptions to have accomplished the latter.

TSD has certainly informed me of the quality traditionally associated with Yardley, and even seeing their common hard soaps in the $stores has helped break the barrier some of us guys possess in even considering them. They are admittedly not packaged to attract the non-metrosexual male and I commend Fido in taking the initiative in raising Yardley's consciousness about our community's enthusiasm for their product...

Now Yardley... don't you dare forget about the Gold cream either!!

9. heirkb

heirkb New Member

Great idea!

10. insomb

insomb New Member

Man this stuff goes for so much on ebay, I can't justify it, but I read so many good things about it. That would be nice if they started making it again. I wonder how much it went for back in the day.

11. APC

APC Member

I watched one on Ebay go for $91.00 plus s&h last week

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

:shocked003 that's just plain sick...

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Was?????????????????????????????????????????????? Das ist laecherlich. :sick007

14. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I saw some reports on B&B that prices passed $100.

This used to sit on drug store shelves next to Old Spice and Williams. At the time, I preferred Old Spice, probably because I liked the mug better. ;)

I wouldn't pay that much for a puck of soap, but I can see why collectors and hobbyists would want to try it. 40 or so years ago, Old Spice and Yardley were dominant soaps, at least here in the states. Yardley, if I remember correctly, was a bit upscale. And connecting with the "roots" of wet shaving is kinda cool.

I've used it, but I have no memory of how good it was or why I preferred Old Spice. May have been cost or, like I said, the very cool Old Spice mug (which I lost in a flood in 1994 :( ).