Yes, I did it: Merkur Futur at 6

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Grick, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Grick

Grick Active Member

Though I've been shaving with the Futur for years, I would crank it up to 4.5 only. Today, I wanted to see how aggressive the Futur can be. So I loaded it with a mild Supermax Stainless (my fav blades). I could definitely tell the difference to a 4.5, and yet, the shave went smoothly. No cuts, no razor burn. I love the Futur. But I'm still not sure if the shave went down faster than usually.
    What are your experience with the Futur? Possibly with a Feather? How does the Futur at 6 compare to the Mühle R41?

Tdmsu, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

On my face the R41 is a beast, just a tad behind the Futur on 6.

3. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the 2013 R41 when I pay attention. The Futur is an impossible razor to use for me. It just doesn't agree with me . At any setting it's ready to bite and it usually does.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Funny, I can use a str8, as aggressive as it gets, but gotta keep my Futur just a tad under 3.

entropy1049 likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Blade flex. Don't have that with a str8

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  6. swarden43

I believe that by curving the blade to be held in the razor, it is rendered rigid enough to prevent blade flexing.

I don't believe in blade chatter, either.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

So your theory about the Futur would be what then?

8. swarden43

That's why I started my statement, "Funny,...".
    I have no theory. It doesn't make sense to me why the Futur above 3 feels like it's going to rip my face off with its aggression, yet the str8 can feel smooth and comfortable.
    *shrug*

9. swarden43

Straight razor flex:

Keithmax likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I understand your position on chatter, mine is that the narrow platform on which the blade sits in the Futur (it's curved but not well supported) makes for a tendency for chatter at certain angles and situations (it's a lousy ATG head shaver for me). The large blade gap and reveal makes it easy to get the angle where that chatter/flex/displacement occurs. I shim the Futur but it's still a problematic razor for me in that one context.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  11. swarden43

Shim under the blade, right? I've never tried shimming a blade.

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes. Worth a try. With a single shim in an adjustable the increased blade gap is easy to offset (it's negligible anyway).

13. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

A few months ago I came to the conclusion that non-lather products work better for me.

I discovered that using a product that produces a slick residue facilitates razor glide instead of razor scrape. Upon repeated testing...with my Merkur FUTUR...I discovered that shaving related irritation disappeared, I was able to get consistently close shaves and it made little difference what setting I chose when using shaving IF:

1. My face was sufficiently lubricated (i.e. wet and slick enough to allow razor glide, and...

2...I applied no pressure to the razor.

I've used the same blade for over a year; the Personna blade (that comes in the blue box); a new blade every 7 days. My daily shave typically takes 40 minutes because I'm obsessive about feeling absolutely no stubble on my face, but I find my shaving time is gradually decreasing as my technique improves. Shave consistency is unchanged... approximately 20 hrs. until stubble begins to reappear.

I can't help but conclude that it's not so much the razor that produces the shave, but how the razor is used.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Keithmax and battle.munky like this.
  14. Grick

Grick Active Member

So the Futur is a superbeast?

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Futur has ridiculous blade gap at 6 which serves no useful purpose (it allows for crazy angles is all). But its aggression is limited by lesser exposure than some other razors like the Ikon Tech. If you can't get a good shave below 5 (being generous here) you probably need a reexamination of your technique.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  16. swarden43

There ya go.
    To quote @Bama Samurai "Technique trumps tools."

AGHisBBS and SABOTEURw like this.
  17. Grick

Grick Active Member

I do get perfect shaves at 4 or 5. I was just being curious.

SABOTEURw likes this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I rarely take my Futur to 6, I enjoy a more milder shave.

19. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I don't find the Futur all that agressive at 6. Much more efficient, but something about the head geometry seems to keep the blade exposure change limited while the gap increases.

SABOTEURw likes this.
  20. Grick

Grick Active Member

Today I went for the kill: Futur at 6 loaded with a Feather.....I survived....didn't draw any blood at all. No weepers, nada. The shave went smoothly without any burn. I think I'm ready for the R41 now....