Yes, I did it: Merkur Futur at 6

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Grick, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I can shave with the R41, no problem. The futur even on 2 gives me weepers and a lot of cuts.

Grick likes this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

In my experience the 2011 is more aggressive than a Futur on 6 but the Futur is more aggressive than the 2013 R41.

Sounds like your ready for a straight.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I never had a chance to try a 2011, but totally agree about the 2013. I also find a jacked up Futur to be much more comfortable than an R41.

The gap in them gets to a point where it is so big it is almost irrelevant. It does sound like you are ready to try a straight.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Grick

Grick Active Member

Thanks. I already tried straight but I didn't enjoy the straight shave enough to work on my technique. I prefer the safety razor shave.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. steelheart1948

steelheart1948 New Member

For me, the Future at 6 is just as efficient as the Muhle, but smoother.

6. Grick

Grick Active Member

Had my first R41 date tonight.....having used the Futur for many years, I was kind of disappointed with the R41. It lacked bite and I couldn't feel the blade as intensely as with the Futur which I use between 4 and 6. And the R41 tugs more. Then again, could it be that the Mühle blade that came with the razor was dull? I'm gonna have to use the R41 with a Feather. Something I noticed: The blade gap is much wider on the Futur, even at below 2. Also, the blade exposure is a bit wider than on the R41. So these two factors combined are probably the reason why the Futur is a more aggressive razor. And yet: It feels smoother than the R41. I had three Feather shaves with the Futur at 6 and all three went more smoothly and without any weepers whereas with the R41 I had to keep going over the same spots. Then again: I might have to get the hang of the R41. Then again: My first shave with the Futur was perfect. I was so impressed with its precision and smothness.....But I'm not giving up ON THE R41 yet...

SABOTEURw and Tdmsu like this.
  7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I used my Futur on six everyday, mostly with voskhod blades. It shaved me closer than a straight and not as risky.

SABOTEURw and Grick like this.
  8. Grick

Grick Active Member

I cannot imagine a more perfect razor than the Futur. By its sheer weight alone it glides over any bumps effortlessly. And I get perfect shaves out of it every time, even at 6. But, like I said, an R41 loaded with a Feather is gonna be my next shave. If that shaves goes like my first one, I'm gonna be seriously disappointed.

Tdmsu likes this.
  9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I never got good shaves with the Futur and feathers. I can get excellent shaves with my Rockwell 6s, R6 plate and feathers. I still prefer voskhod in any razor