Yet another attempt at organization

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by John Beeman, Jun 25, 2015.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

A long time ago when I only had half a dozen razors and had outgrown my razor stand (which only held one razor and one brush) I put up some peg board and altered some hooks.
    That didn't last too long since I didn't like the idea that my razors would get scratched even if I was super careful plus I started buying styles like the StickSchick and the SchickGrip which didn't fit in my holders.
    The pegboard is still there but I don't use it for razors anymore so it probably needs to come down.

june6.jpg

Next I converted some small metal tool boxes but that didn't last because the drawers weren't the right size and the boxes didn't fit well in the bathroom because they were too big for my shelves.
    So after that I converted a multi drawer fastener cabinet. The kind you get that's full of nuts, bolts, and screws but never in the size you need. I got new fastener cabinets and cleaned out one that had 30 identical drawers and lined the drawers with tool box liner. I'm still using that one but now I'm trying the kind you see pictured below that have different size drawers and I'm putting some of my shaving soaps and bath soaps in the bigger drawers. I can't seem to find one that has drawers large enough to hold an Old Spice mug so for now I've got mugs stacked on top. The little squirt bottles are filled with witch hazel.

june2.jpg

june3.jpg

june4.jpg

june5.jpg

I've got two at the moment and probably need a couple more. The backs are open so there's plenty of air circulation and while I removed them for the pictures, most of the drawers have a small desiccant pack for moisture.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I need to organize my cabinet. I recently got the cologne/AS cleaned up but I need to find a better way to organize soaps and creams. I like the idea of the nuts n bolts box

John Beeman likes this.
  4. NewellVW

NewellVW Well-Known Member

Really cool idea and super organized! Well done! :happy088:

John Beeman likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Cool.:happy088:

John Beeman likes this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Very nice! :happy088::happy088:

John Beeman likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nicely done! :happy088:

John Beeman likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096:Great idea!! :happy088:

John Beeman likes this.
  9. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Good idea. Ever growing Shave Dens can be hard to organise.

John Beeman likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Looks great!! :happy088:

John Beeman likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'd say that's a very successful attempt at organization, John! :happy096:
    Nicely executed and practical!
    Every time I read these 'organizing' threads, I realize what a shambles my razor work area is in the shop.
    You've inspired me to tackle it this weekend and maybe have it come out half as organized as yours looks!
    (I've over 42 straight razors in various stages that could benefit from a stackable arrangement such as yours.) :confused:
    Hmmmmm….I see a trip to either target or home depot in the near future….

John Beeman likes this.
  13. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I'm surprised to read that your shop is in disarray. I seem to recall viewing photographs of your bathroom organization a while back and without searching through your posts I believe there was a new medicine chest neatly organized that you showed us on one occasion and cabinet drawers that had custom dividers on another occasion.
    I hereby sentence you to spending more time with your hobby. :char039:

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Guilty! I am partly what they call a 'Disorganized Creative'—whose work areas confound others but the DC person thrives in this disarray. The other part of me is compulsively orderly—so naturally this battle for me is an on-going one. :cool:

John Beeman likes this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Most excellent

John Beeman likes this.
  16. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Love the pegboard!!!!!

John Beeman likes this.
  17. JoyceRedn

JoyceRedn New Member

Haha!! Pretty cool idea.

But it requires lots of space. Many of my friends are using test tube stands for keeping the razors. You can store a dozen of razors in it. You can make it yourself using the wood and hang the razors in it. Also, you can paint or polish it to have a long-lasting use.
    I keep my razors, shave cream, brush etc in the shower organizer which I brought online. I haven't tried the DIY stuff since I have only a couple razors.
    The thing which bothers me is not the razor storage but the rusting. I have lost many razors because of the rusting. So while storing make sure that there is no water left over it. Make it super dry before storing. Also, I read that baby oil prevents the razor from rusting. I haven't tried it. Anyone here uses baby oil to prevent the razor rust?