Young Padawan's First Shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Rogue, Mar 15, 2009.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Which one? I am The Shave Den's resident Super speed fantatic. I went through a period where I yanked all the super speeds i could get my hands on from ebay. Have something like fifty super speeds hanging around somewhere. My favorite tends to be the no date coded 1940s, don't particularly like the 70s one though, but it has nostaligic meaning here. My pop used one of these 70s things for years.

2. Rogue

Rogue New Member

Mine's a '66. :)

3. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

My SS is a Y4, used it once. I like the OC Old and New Gillette razors better.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The SS I sent the young master is a 57 if I remember correct, It better be of I am in trouble. I have a 54 but it belongs to my roomie. I have another 57 that belonged to my Grand Father. I use it now and again just because it was his.

And good pick on the Old Spice <I wore that yeasterday>. Wonder if his friends would pick on him.. well until he beat them half senseless.....

Fuzzy

5. Rogue

Rogue New Member

Hey Fuzzy, if you discover you sent the wrong one, just let me know and I'll send it back to you. No big deal. ;)

6. MsBlackwolf

I think Axe is the current teenage gentleman's rave. Old Spice smells nicer IMO and they did have an aftershave balm in a tube. Don't know if they still make it or not.

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have several of those models they have ridges on the handle that make them a bit easier to manuver around the face in my opinion. The ridges make it a bit hard to spin the razor from on edge to the other edge in my opinion, its still an excellent shaver. My grandpop used one of them before he passed on and my mom did something with the great old thing. Now my shavers of that model look identical to his old one. I also have several of the 57 model as well, the 57 model does not have the ridges on the handle like the 60s models do and does not have the flair tip.

What brands of blades has Padawan tried? I have tried approximatly 40 different brands and let me tell you they can vary widely in quality and how well they do on a particular face. Has he tried any of these brand names: Feather, Dorco or Gillette. If one brand of blade is going to suit him best my opinion is that most often its one of these brands.

Troubble with the after shaves is that they tend to apeal to some women and not others. There is no one universal one in my opinion. Padawan could try Proctor and Gamble's Old Spice and Rogue might like it, but half the women at his school might find it terrible. While the other half find it great. So what's the answer, if you find it please tell me. Some women have told me that the Rose Water after shaves tend to be very appealing, but Padawan will need to wait for those since they are available through Razor and Brush, which is closed for sales at this point and slated to re-open at the end of this month.

What after shaves has he tried?

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Here is a picture of a bottle of rose water after shave. Its the scent of roses.

Attached Files:

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Oh no I would never take it back.. even if I sent the 54. It is still a great razor. It is his until he decides he no longer needs or wants it then he can pass it on to someone that might use it. :D

10. Rogue

Rogue New Member

A couple of the Axe scents smell nice as long as it's used sparingly. I haven't noticed if they have them the aftershaves. He may like that since he has the Axe body wash and cologne spray.

Different smells go different each person's body chemstry. I've smelled cologne or perfume on one person that didn't smell good on another. Then there's certain scents that make me wrinkle my nose no matter who it's on (vanilla immediately comes to mind...too sweet). But different strokes for different folks.

He's only had the one initial shave and he used a personna that was sent gratefully sent. Since he had just a little bit of razor burn and with it being his first time, I'm not for certain if it caused by the blade or because he's just starting to shave or even a combination of both. I'm sure he's thought about that since he was asking me questions about razor burn and what causes it and later mentioned that he thought it may have been because the lather may have gotten a little dry. I'm going to keep an eye on his progress and will probably suggest switching to a derby blade when it comes time to replace this one, if not sooner.

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Send me your address, I'll send you some blades. Derbys are poo IMHO. Anywho, dont make him smell like roses. Take him to the dept. store and let him pick out a cologne he likes. As for an AS, use some plain ol' nivea sensitive or order some TSD milk, the stuffs great. Kids in HS are very sensitive to how other kids smell, if he goes in smelling like roses, well.... lets not get into that.

I've got most of the popular blades laying around that I hate, so hit me up.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You mean there are things you do not like?:D I got a good sampling of blades from a friend on here..,. like the Gillette yellow's the best I think., Of course I usually use the wally world ones with good results,<bet you did not see that coming huh>

Generous offer by the way Jay Kay..

13. Rogue

Rogue New Member

I was going to take him and let him pick out his own scent and teach him how to read the ingredients so he stands a better chance of buying something that doesn't have a bad alcohol base. I was looking at some earlier at the little store down from the house and noticed what little they had stocked had alcohol as the first ingredient. ACK!

I think I've stated earlier I was leaning towards a milk aftershave. I'm planning to get a sample or two from the TDS store a little later for him to try out.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You can not go wrong with anything that JoAnna makes...

15. MsBlackwolf

I saw that coming. I use those wally world blades. A blister 10 pack on a red card and made in USA. Being a beginner....the sharpest blade on the shelf isn't always a good choice for me. I'll graduate to a Feather blade someday....nahhhh I like the Astra Sup. and Derby too much.

16. MsBlackwolf

What store/shop did you get that at?

17. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Bath and Body Works now carries a rose water under the C.O. Bigalow name. Expensive, but smells great. They also have several other good aftershave products under this label that a HS kid could actually get by wearing.
    I doubt the IP blade was a problem in the '57 superspeed. In my '57 SS the only issue is getting a close shave, never any irritation. Once he's shaved 10 times and has some technique, then maybe you can blame the blade if he still has irritation. My favorite blades in the superspeed are the Gillette 7 O'clock SE (yellow) and Astra Superior, but they're rather sharp and might be a bit much to learn on and not needed if he isn't shaving a wiry beard. I think Dorco 301's or the IP's he's currently using would be good for learning. Maybe even the Derby's, though for me they start to go dull before I finish one shave (I do finish a full shave with one, but only on shave).

18. Rogue

Rogue New Member

I'd like to know too! It's interesting to say the least! I googled it but didn't come up with much of anything. :(

19. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

To answer all the questions and statements....

I dont know what has previously been said because honestly, I'm too lazy to read 2 pages worth of posts. I did see wally world coming, from your direction. We dont have wally world in NY, at least where I am from. I've only seen it once during a trip to florida. Cat urine could be the first ingredient of the colognes I wear, but I dont know, because I've never read the ingredients. I dont care who made them, what they are made of, or what animals butt gland contributed to the scent. If it smells good...wait, no, thats the only thing I care about in a cologne. Well, and staying power + non-degrading scents, but you get the idea.

20. MsBlackwolf

Yeah I googled it too and got zip on it. I've got some shaving cream that would go well with perhaps.