Your favorite/best adjustable DE....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Mar 3, 2017.

1. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Definitely the Mergress - well worth the coin if you can get one. Handsome too!

Bill G and Demidog like this.
  2. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I quite like Adjustables, so far I have:

Slim x 2
    Fat boy x 2
    Executive (gold Fatboy) x 1
    Aristocrat ( gold Slim) x 2
    Toggle x 2
    Super 109 BB (long handle) x 3 plus one in gold
    Super 89 BB (short handle) x 1
    Progress 510 x 1
    Auto Strop 7-o-Clock from 1912(ish). X 1. This has an un-numbered dial at the base of the handle that reduces or increases the blade exposure.

Demidog, LOOT and RyX like this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

My favourite is the Merkur Progress. I prefer to shave with modern razors over vintage. The Progress is a great razor for me. For whatever reason, setting 4 on my face and 5 on my neck gives me excellent shaves.

Bill G likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Merkur Futur was my top adjustable until I bought a Rocnel adjustable.

I owned a Slim and a Vision, they were both to mild for me. I did like the weight and look of the Vision.

Demidog and Str8on2 like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ah yes the Auto Strop. Guess I have two adjustables . Great razor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LOOT and Taipan like this.
  6. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

So, is the Barbaros & Rocnel adjustable more aggressive than the Merkur Vision in your opinion? How is the shave compared to the Vision? I had been debating on purchasing the Barbaros & Rocnel S/S adjustable before I went and purchased the Asylum RX instead. Now, with your comment, I'm wondering again......

7. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I've loved my Merkur Futur with a polished chrome finish more than any other razor I own since the day I got it.

DesertTime likes this.
  8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Fat Boy
    Black beauty

Demidog likes this.
  9. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I'm the same way with the Super adjustable, which totally defeats the purpose.

10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

My favorite and best is a D1 Toggle.

Of course, I can and do enjoy the Fatboy and Slim as well.

They are all great.

Demidog and Robyflexx like this.
  11. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

That's a great collection of Gillettes.... But which is your favorite?

12. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I guess it has to be the long handled BB. I have one in rotation and another in my wash bag for holiday use. To be fair though, I don't shave with the gold ones; they're for looking at.

Demidog and Robyflexx like this.
  13. stanko

stanko Member

My favorite adjustable: the Fatboy.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Well, I have four, long handle Black Beauty, short handle Black Beauty, Slim and Fatboy. But because of the weight and shorter handle, I'll go with the Fatboy.

Taipan and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

The fundamental compromise necessary to an adjustable is a more bulky razor head. The Merkur Futur is a nice chunk of material, but it seems so big. The only adjustable I currently have is a slim-handled Gillette, and it's not too obtrusive, size-wise. Still, it's a little unwieldy shaving the area under my nose and ears. Of all the adjustables I've handled, the Fat and Slim Gillette are the most agreeable to me. Old Gillettes are quality pieces of equipment. I also have seen no need to adjust a razor once zeroed in. So all things considered, I won't be buying or using another adjustable. In fact, my pretty darn near perfect slim will go on the market here as soon as I qualify to list it, and that will be the end of my adjustable adventure.