Your Favorite Cartridge Razor?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by PottyDoctor, Feb 5, 2007.

1. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Jody, Where do you get those from? Will they fit the Mach III? Doug

2. Kin

Kin New Member

Wow, that's a lot of great info :thanks
    My tremor is actually worse for me in the morning... kinda weird
    BTW, I plan on getting a Merkur HD soon :)

3. MHDena

MHDena New Member

Schick Quattro for me was the best.

4. jrocker

jrocker Member

5. Huxley

Huxley New Member

I would say for speed hydro 3, however the gillette guard is damn fine for a cart razor, shaves like a de dare i say it.

6. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

I like the Mach 3 and sometimes use the Trac 2. I liked the ATRA but the Trac 2 was a little better for me.

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Trac II. With either the genuine Gillette cartridges or the Dorcos from Dollar General.

8. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

My Favs are:

1. Fusion Phenom Proglide
    2. Fusion
    3. Sensor

Hated the Sensor Excel - just hated it :(

9. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

My favorite is the Gillette Guard made in India.
    IMO it's the best cartridge system they ever made, and i tried them all.
    And oh! i forgot, it's the cheapest:)
    I understand why they don't sell in here in America, a lot of peoples would buy this instead of Fusion or Mach 3.

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

When I was using cartridge razors, the Gillette Fusion was my favorite. After switching over to DE, SE, injector and SR, I'll never go back to cartridge razors!

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is my favorite. It is an Atra X4 (1977) with a Dorco Comfort Thin II blade.
    Atra_x4_10.JPG
    Atra_x4_06.JPG Atra_x4_09.JPG Dorco_02.JPG

gorgo2, Eeyore and Jim99 like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jayaruh likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I had only recently started looking for one (past 3 months). I found this one at a flea market for a dollar. It was a great find. It cleaned up great, and it is the year and quarter of my second son's birth. I used one of these for many years.

Jim99 likes this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, it makes for an excellent travel razor. And the cartridges are still widely available.

The Atra (Contour in Europe) actually was my last cartridge razor.

15. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I don't have a favorite cartridge razor but I used a Schick Hydro many times.

16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Mach 3; great shaves, comfortable size and geometry and low cost (at Sam's Club).

17. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I too love the Gillette Guard. I came back to DEs because carts would always fill with my beard. Then a Shave Den member sold me on the Guard.

They are only sold in the emerging market countries. Cost 27ยข per blade from India on Ebay, as Gillette doesn't want them sold in the US. They shave as close as a DE, last longer, and use very little water. The theory is Gillette wants to kill DE sales in these countries and give them a monopoly. It's an open comb, floating head, and takes little technique to master.

I give many as gifts for cart/disposable users. About half turn out to be converts. Here is more info from a article in the UK press.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-razor-forgetting-countrys-running-water.html

18. smittywerbenmanjensen

smittywerbenmanjensen Active Member

Well I'll be the dissenter here. I have a Shick Hyrdo 5 and it really is a good razor. Sometimes I just don't have the time for the full DE experience. I have the Gillette Fusion too but I like the Schick much better.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No particular favorite brand here; it's the Trac II style I prefer over the Atra or anything else, though I use them all.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood