Your Favorite Cartridge Razor?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by PottyDoctor, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Gillette Atra or Sensor. I still have my first Sensor that I bought in 1990.
    I also have a Sensor Excel or 2 floating around somewhere.
    I got my 1984 Atra as a freebie with a lot of Gillettes, Gems, and Injectors that I bought on the bay. I was gonna sell it, until I found ASR carts for it at Rite Aid for $4.34/10 pack. Now, I wouldn't dream of selling it. My wife got a pack of Wilkie carts for me to try in it.
    If I had had that Atra Handle a year ago, I probably wouldn't have bought all of these DE and SE razors/blades. I would have missed out on all this fun.
    I never had good luck with the limp-wristed pivot motion of the M3 and Fusion.

2. CSL

CSL Member

I liked the Fusion fine. The blades were expensive but they lasted a really long time for me. Of course, the first couple of shaves were best but after that it seemed like the thing hit a plateau & was good for around 2 weeks.

I think whatever shaver you use, your face adapts to. After using a DE for the past few weeks, I tried the Fusion one day when I was in a hurry & it didn't work as well as it used to.

3. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

I was a Sensor man before I switched to DEs and SEs. Got that Sensor for free on my 16th birthday. I thought it was the coolest thing!

I've been thinking of trying the Bump Fighter razor (for travel) as well, but I haven't gotten one yet.

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I'm still using the Gillette Sensor Excel I got in the mail around my 18th birthday (I'm 32) with Sensor blades. I've tried others and nothing else compares. I can't stand more than two blades.

5. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Mach 3. Also have the Proglide but don't like it as much

6. gurgly

gurgly Member

I've used the Trac II, Atra, Sensor and Mach III. Trac II was my first. Got it from my dad. He had about a dozen of those that he got free with cans of Noxzema shaving cream. Gillette sent me the Atra for free. It came with a $1.50 rebate form on the package which was nice bonus. Sensor and Mach III I got because they were new and I had to try them. The Sensor was the best I think. The spring loaded blades worked well and there was open space between them to rinse them clean unlike in the Trac II and Atra. Mach III worked pretty well too but I think 3 blades was one too many.

7. jon

jon Member

I've only used two different cartridge razors. The Mach 3 and the Schick Quattro. The Mach 3 was ok for me but the Quattro was terrible. It gave me a lot of nicks and irritation on the neck area.

8. ohmysan

ohmysan New Member

Gillette Contour Plus

Hi guys my first post here..I use the Gillette contour plus blades, but am looking for a nice handle for these.
    Anyone know of a decent handle please...
    Regards

9. slonenek75

slonenek75 New Member

Trac II is my favorite cartridge razor, kind of reminds of DE .

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great community of guys and gals who enjoy wetshaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Gillette Contour Plus blades, but maybe one of the other members will be able to help.

11. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Is this the Contour twin blade that is the same as the Atra?

The old all metal Atra handles do show up on eBay fairly frequently, sometimes new in package, but they are often rather pricey. I don't know that they're all that nice anyway, just higher quality than some of the more modern plastic and chrome razor handles.

Again, assuming that this is the same one as the Atra, there is a Col. Conk Atra compatible handle available here, and probably other places as well. I have never seen one except in those pictures, so I'm not making any recommendation for or against.

12. Maineac

Maineac Member

I like the Schick Hydro in either the three or five blade configuration. For me I get a smoother shave and the blades last longer than the Mach III or Fusion.

Another positive is that the blades are much cheaper than the Fusion.

13. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Shrick Slim Twins.. you can usually find 12+3 packs right at $6 and most have an instant $1 off sticker.

14. Cormia

Cormia New Member

I never when higher than Mach III and when down to Trac II...nice shave and better price...and it is perfect for carry-on traveling...and by the way I'm using a Merkur Futur for luxury...

15. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I switched to DE from a Mach3, never went beyond that. Whe I wrote Gillette expressign my distaste for multi bladed razors, then sent me a coupon for a free Sensor. I tried it and hated it.

The only cart that I sort of like using now is the Atra.

16. Fido

Fido Member

Hydro 5 gives me a more comfortable shave than my Mach 3 - my only other cartridge razor.

17. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

I received a free Schick Hydro with a mail-in rebate right before I started DE shaving. I really liked the shave but too costly for the replacement cartridges.

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Atra and sometimes the EJ Mach 3; I have some Sensors and Trac IIs that I use when going to Europe or South America because the blades are easier to buy. Also, I can pack the cartridges in my carryon unlike the DEs.

19. houlejames

houlejames Member

Sensor or Sensor Excel with Trac II a close second.

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Trac II followed closely by Atra

Trac II followed closely by Atra

This is based on using them for head shaving in which the fixed Trac ll works the best for me, then the Atra following up closely.