Your Favorite Sandalwood Shave Cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by AWS, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

If you're asking performance wise, Coates. All the Coates are among the best creams I've ever used and Castle Forbes and Xpec are in that group. Scent wise, old C&E Mysore Sandalwood.

2. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

I hope so. I have a tube on the way. I love the smell of sandalwood

gmaugie007 and crackstar like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I love the scent of this sandalwood cream!

gmaugie007 and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I got a tub of Proraso red on the way. Should have it tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out.
    Was a steal at $6.50 free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmaugie007 likes this.
  5. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I've only tried Stirling Sandlewood. It lathers great, but to me it smells like dirt from my backyard..... and it burns the hell outta my face.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

If you like sandalwood, Royal Shave has their own soap called 30° degrees. It is my favorite sandalwood soap, they have it made in Germany, and it has a very mild citrus note. Performance is incredible and it does not burn your face. I have experienced that as well with other sandalwood soap and creams and I am not a sandalwood fan, but their 30° degree soap has made me like the sandalwood scent

7. MetalHead88

Yeah, I'm really not sure if I like sandlewood or not because I only have one to go off of which I do not like. I'm tempted to try another since a lot of people seem to like sandlewood soaps, but my sole experience has turned me off.

Thanks for the recommendation. The hint of citrus seems like exactly my thing. I'll look into it for sure.

8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

The citrus really helped the sandalwood. I too am not a sandalwood fan, but this is one of my favorite soaps, and If you don't like it, you can send it back to them, but they will probably tell you to keep it and pick another. They have a generous return policy to make you happy and they do have incredible customer service. They have it on special a lot, and is inexpensive compared to similar brands

9. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

The Proraso Red came in. Great soap for the price. Loaded it up on a squeezed out boar brush.
    Nice thick face lather. Slick shave. No burn from the alum block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

FWIW, I'm a fan of both Stirling soaps and sandalwood, but the Stirling sandalwood is absolutely not good, IMHO. Don't judge sandalwood by it, because your description of it is about the same as mine. Proraso Red, TOBS Sandalwood, and many others mentioned here are night and day with it.

11. MetalHead88

Ahhhh thanks for this!!! I've pretty much waiting for someone to come out and say exactly that!!!

All of the other stirling soaps are incredible though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    So far, Proraso Red, because that is the only one I have tried. I ended up trading it because my skin was somewhat sensitive to it.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

The first nice shave cream I ever bought was Taylor's, and I loved it, but not so much anymore. It is too perfumy smelling to me. The best I have tried and still my favorite is Caswell Massey Sandalwood. It smells similar to Proraso Red, but a little stronger. Plus with the Caswell Massey Sandalwood, you can also get sandalwood after shave balm and sandalwood spray cologne that goes along with the sandalwood shave cream. It's one of my favorite scents.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  14. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Only Sandalwood cream I have now is AOS but one that I really liked a lot was DdC in Sandalwood but dont think Krissy (Prairie Creations) is operational anymore due to illness.

15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Easiest question ive had in awhile. TOBS sandalwood. Without a doubt.

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Proraso is my favorite scent but I don't care all that much for soap/cream.
    I actually enjoy Stirling's take on it.
    TOBs really has almost no sandalwood scent to it. Even their own scent description calls it a classic fougere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

but is it so-called "clean dirt"?

18. MetalHead88

Nope. Just regular dirt lmao.

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I know that sounded silly, but I've seen outdoorsy AS fragrances described as possessing the smell of "clean" or "fresh" dirt.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  20. MetalHead88

Lmao Yeah I knew exactly what you meant!!! Haha

Paul Turner likes this.