Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

LOL, I was thinking the same thing!

Erik Redd, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1462.JPG

McClelland Personal Reserve Dark Star, in a GBD Canadian, accompanied by the Mosin tamp. The McClelland matured virginias sure benefit from some aging in a mason jar! The advice given to me by P&C was spot on. Open the tin, and let it air out for at least 24 hours, and I've found 3 or 4 days is even better. Then let it sit in a glass jar for at least a few weeks. Mmmm..... good! Mine has been aging for a few months, and it is light and day from right out of the tin.

AGHisBBS, RyX, dbersh and 1 other person like this.
  3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

[​IMG]
    Tried to go to the grocery store at 8 this morning, sign said they didn't open until 9 and people already waiting to get in. I decided to have a relaxing pipe at home instead of waiting. My daughter at Lamar University called in a tizzy, reportedly they were evacuating to Nacadoches because Beaumont water is is off until who knows when. Then they said they weren't evacuating, apparently the RA's at the dorms were "misinformed". Unfortunately, there's no way to get into Beaumont this morning due to all the road closures.

Edit - I jarred 24 ounces of PS LNF in 3 pint jars after this pic. the flake is pretty dense and it took fewer jars than I expected. My office is closed until Tuesday, hopefully it will be an uneventful weekend.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    dbersh, BamaT, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  4. Erik Redd

[​IMG]
    A nice evening after the cool front came thru. Thankfully the cool front is also keeping Irma away, but unfortunately it looks like she'll hit Florida instead of just going into the Atlantic.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Back....

Covent Traditional
    Capstan Blue Label[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, dbersh, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1463.JPG
    Labor Day lawn tractor repair and yard pipe, PS Navy Flake in the Briary billiard #2.

Sorry pipe is fuzzy, camera focused on the tractor.

RyX, AGHisBBS, dbersh and 1 other person like this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Is that your English pipe, or was it Irish? I love a Canadian!

8. Bama Samurai

That's the pipe from London thus past spring. It's broken in now and dedicated to VA.

BamaT, AGHisBBS and Erik Redd like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1465.JPG
    Game day pipe! Chacom stack billiard with H&H Virginia Spice. Accompanied by my favorite coffee, whole bean medium roast arabica from Peru, by way of Aldi's, in my Jacksonville State University mug. The mug now wears some character marks on it!

JSU is taking on Georgia Tech shortly, so go Gamecocks and Roll Tide!

10. Erik Redd

[​IMG]
    A new tin of Stanwell Jubilee, a mild light aromatic. It's OK, but not something I'll buy again.

BamaT, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. Erik Redd

Evening pipe while feeding the mosquitoes.
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking of dedicating this Tinsky to OGS. I prefer the neat cut rectangular flakes in the 50 gm tins to the longer flake ribbons in the 100 gm tins though. Since I'm a wildlife lover, a bit of Wild Turkey in a Glencairn glass on the side.

BamaT, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Play smart, stay dry. Talking to my people in Tampa. [​IMG]

BamaT, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  13. Erik Redd

A bowl of OGS in a Savinelli canadian while jarring some tobacco this morning. I took @BamaT advice and left the McClelland tins open for a day and a half before jarring.
    [​IMG]

14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1466.JPG
    Sunday afternoon pipe, Michael Novak with OGS. I've noticed that after some mason jar time, the perique in the large tin doesn't seem as peppery.

RyX, dbersh, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to see how you would compare one of the McClelland matured virginias right now, vs in about 6 months.

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and Erik Redd like this.
  16. Erik Redd

I've got another 4 tins of the 40th Anniversary. I'll have to open a tin in 6 months to compare with the jarred tin.

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1471.JPG
    Neerup poker, with Sam Gawith Medium Virginia Flake.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    RyX, AGHisBBS, dbersh and 2 others like this.
  18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1472.JPG
    H&H AJ's vaper in the Eric Stokkebye 4th Generation. Enjoying this much more than the SG Medium Virginia Flake last night. AJ's is smoother, more complex, and tastier. The SG Med Va has some kind of topping I don't care for. Not sure why I even smoke it anymore. I should probably seal it up, and put it back in case the pipe tobacco apocalypse happens and then sell it to some sucker, er, I mean someone who wants it.. But I'm waiting on an order from P&C that should help with my prep.

RyX, AGHisBBS, dbersh and 1 other person like this.
  19. Erik Redd

Sunday morning pipe
    [​IMG]

RyX, AGHisBBS and BamaT like this.
  20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1474.JPG
    Sunday afternoon pipe, Newminister No. 400 Superior Navy Flake in an old Lorenzo.

In my last order from P&C, I picked up 4 oz each of Newminister 400 Superior Navy Flake and McClelland 2015 Flake bulk Vaper, along with several tins of 1.75 oz OGS, Drew Estate Gatsby Flake, and Dunhill Flake. The last 1.75 oz size OGS I bought was a square tin, these were round; Don't know if the flakes will be the nicely shaped and squared off flakes I've seen, or will be more of the long ribbon/broken flake that comes in the 3.5 oz tin. The tins I put back, and the bulk flakes I jarred, but I'm already getting into them. Jury is still out on each until I have had several bowls in different pipes, but initial impressions are good, especially 2015.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017