Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Nice Lorenzo. I'm waiting for smokingpipes.com to have a sale on bull McClelland, there's a few I want to try.

2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

LOL, I had so many typos in that last post! Sometimes when I'm using my iPad I go too fast and words get all jumbled. Think it's all fixed now. :(

Bama Samurai and Erik Redd like this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I need to try both these a few more times, but I'm fairly certain the 2015 will definitely be a keeper. There's enough Perique to make it's presence known, but doesn't take over. The Virginia seemed to have a slight matured flavor, and not too heavy on the grassy/hay flavor. I have plenty of blends right now, but at some point I'd also like to try 2010 and 2035.

Bama Samurai and Erik Redd like this.
  4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

The slightly cooler weather has got me on a latikia trend. Been smoking Frog Morton original, On The Town, and Across The Pond, as well as Cornell & Diehil Pirate Kake, and Hermit Tobacco Private Stock.

5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I don't smoke a lot of Latakia, but I do like FM On The Town.

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am personally anti-Latakia, but happy to hear it brings you bliss. Aged Burley is my cool weather change up usually.

AGHisBBS, BamaT and Erik Redd like this.
  7. Erik Redd

I really like my sole Tinsky pipe, and the Lumberman shape is one of my favorites, so I couldn't pass up this lightly smoked estate at smokingpipes.com. They also had a sale on a tin I've never tried before so I added a tin. It also helped that I had store credit that covered the purchase.
    [​IMG]

RyX, AGHisBBS, BamaT and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Looks like it will be a great pipe!

Erik Redd likes this.
  9. Erik Redd

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it out. The pipe and bowl size looks good and it's got an acrylic stem which I prefer. The markings indicate it was made in 1991. If it smokes as well as my other Tinsky I will be pleased.

upload_2017-9-28_20-51-1.png

AGHisBBS and BamaT like this.
  10. AGHisBBS

Tinsky pipes are the bomb! I've had these two for years, the bent bulldog has a 1997 date, the horn is undated, but about two years later. I bought both of these pipes from Mark at the NY pipe show in different years.
    DSCN0854.JPG DSCN0853.JPG
    I just got this one off Ebay. It was marked "American Pipe" no mention of origin, bad pics, I got it for very, very cheep. There is no date, so I recon that it's older than your 1991, and no maker, so this one could be a Tinsky or a Curt Rollar.
    DSCN0856.JPG

BamaT, Erik Redd and RyX like this.
  11. AGHisBBS

My birthday present to myself came in the mail yesterday. Ser Jacopo Insanus. I'm in heaven. Passes a pipe cleaner easily to the bottom of the bowl. Smokes as great as any of my other Ser Jacopos, albeit a wee bit heavy.
    DSCN0858.JPG

12. Erik Redd

Wow, that's certainly a conversation starter.

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Kaywoodie and OGS all week...

AGHisBBS and Erik Redd like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a question or two. It's been many, many years since I've smoked a pipe, Dr. Grabow during my college years. I'm thinking of going back to them and I'd like to start out with a medium strength tobacco. What suggestions are there for something that is decently priced and not too harsh. I'm also thinking of a decent Briar wood pipe, as they can be had for good prices, even used that are restored. Thanks............

15. Bama Samurai

Half and Half

Erik Redd and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Sir Walter Raleigh

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I think this is one of the tobaccos I used, the aromatic one.

Erik Redd likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Yes. There are two versions.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Over the counter, as in available locally? I enjoy Carter Hall.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Is there a good pipe or cigar shop near you? They may have some estate pipes that should have already been restored, or some affordable "counter" or "basket" pipes. These typically have some flaw and aren't sold under a brand name, but if you're careful, you can find a real bargain going this route.

If you wanted to buy new and a local shop doesn't have much selection, I would suggest looking at Pipes and Cigars, https://www.pipesandcigars.com/

You won't go wring with a Chacom pipe, affordable ($60 range), and one of the best pipes for the money. I have 4 of them, and @Bama Samurai has at least one, and a couple of others here have at least one. The key thing to look for in a pipe is to get one with a draft hole at the bottom of the bowl and preferably centered. Chacoms in my experience are very well engineered for the money. I would also suggest a straight pipe to begin with, because the draft hole is nearly always centered from the shank to the stem, and are easier to smoke well without any gurgle until you get the technique down.

For tobacco, I will depart from some of my forum brethren and suggest you not start with an aromatic or semi-aromatic. Orlic Golden Slices would be a great choice, and although matured virginias may not be the absolute best choice for a beginner, McClelland 2015 (Virginia with a small amount of Perique), or Blackwoods Flake are great tobaccos that are consistent throughout the bowl, and don't have a cigarette type flavor or smell. These tobaccos will not be available at drugstore, etc, and will most likely have to be ordered, if you don't have a good local pipe shop. Pipes and Cigars will definitely have them. Probably Orlic Golden Slices would be my top pick for a beginner. Nice even flavor, not too strong, and easy to pack and light.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017