Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

A warm afternoon in Houston. This Tinsky is my only smooth briar, most are sandblasted or rusticated.

[​IMG]

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 11032017 PM.gif
    Escudo Navy De Luxe in the Stanwell 403 Army Mount. Nice end to the short but productive work portion of my day.

Like you @Eric Redd, most of mine are rusticated. The exceptions are all Estate pipes.

3. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ser Jacapo straight apple loaded with Gawith Navy Flake! First time smoking the Navy Flake but really enjoying it (I keep smoking it hot and getting some bite, but that is because I have to improve my technique). Anyone got any hints??

AGHisBBS, BamaT, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good looking pipe. As to bite, it's the alkaloids in the tobacco, and puffing too hard and fast. Get a cool glass of something acidic, like a Coca-Cola, put you feet up, and relax.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

AGHisBBS and BamaT like this.
  5. Preacher

Thanks, brother. I'll give that a shot.

RyX likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Pack Flake loose and smoke slow. Navy Flake is VA with a high sugar content. This means lots of fuel to burn hot if pushed too quickly. @RyX is right about acid balancing it out with a beverage.

AGHisBBS, BamaT and RyX like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Nice pic. The canted egg looks cool. Smoke alright?

AGHisBBS, BamaT and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very! Easy draft, comfortable slight bent stem, love the three sided shape. [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Corto, AGHisBBS, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

I have always really appreciated the simple, almost stoic, designs that Stanwell makes. They are definitely great pipes for daily smokers, and the rustic finishes are some of the best in the biz.

RyX likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

11. Preacher

Savinelli 320ks (Giubileo d'Oro) with Dunhill Nighcap

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, BamaT and Erik Redd like this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

@Preacher, I agree with this and @RyX. I really like a little Coca Cola with a pipe, but usually just sip on some water, coffee, or hot tea because I've really cut back on sodas. I would say smoking Virginias without getting tongue bite, or "leather tongue" (smoking too hot and/or fast without the PH reaction) takes a bit of practice and patience. They must be "sipped," smoked very slowly, and tamping before you think it's time to tamp, although that really applies to any pipe tobacco. If you clench a lot, take time to remove the pipe from your mouth and hold it for a few seconds before drawing again

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and RyX like this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Half and half mixture of H&H Virginia Spice and Esoterica Peacehaven in a Chacom stack billiard. I'm kind of discovering that mixing a blend that I'm kind of meh... about with another one that is either ok or meh... produces a hybrid that is..... meh....

Attached Files:

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Makes sense. (meh)+(meh)=2(meh). Not a Super Lather happening there. Both Virginia, one with a touch of Perique.

I'm finding I like the full body of a Burley, the slighty fruitiness of a Cavendish, and the full on pepper and plum of Perique. Consider spicing it up a little?

AGHisBBS, BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 11042017 Kaywoodie and Erinmore Flake.gif
    Riding out to have supper with my folks, enjoyed a serving of Erinmore Flake in the Kaywoodie Magnum. It's a Virginia/Burley blend with a pineapple tin note.
    While out and about today my everyday PS Toasted Burley with a pinch of Natural Dutch Cavendish in the Chacom. Between the two a pleasant sweetness with an occasional campfire roasted marshmallow. Not a Latakia. Not yet.
    POTD 11052017 Chacom Toasted Burley and Cavendish.gif

16. Preacher

Gave my pipes a break today and decided to enjoy a cigar.

RyX likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Cool throwback Kaywoodie...think I will make it a Kaywoodie night and read TSD.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I picked it up from a local thrift store. The stinger is intact! For being stamped "Magnum" it's not a large bowl, and the finish is odd. It's a weird mottled green brown color with an almost plastic gloss finish.
    The chamber tapers toward the bottom. I load it with straight Perique when I'm feeling the need of a dose of Vitamin N.

Erik Redd, AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Sitter and nosewarmer. I see these being made now by several artisan pipemakers. It's a good size for carrying in ones coat pocket, but the large bowl can be stoked into too much heat if I'm not careful.

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  20. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Nice pipes! My taste also goes toward Italian pipes. I have several Ser Jacapos and Savinellis including two Savinelli 320ks's.
    DSCN0872.JPG

BamaT, Erik Redd and RyX like this.