Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sweet!

2. Bama Samurai

Mellow Mixture is a mild aromatic, kinda like Capt Black, but more refined.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is actually next on the list. I think they were out of stock the other day.

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

698EB97C-62A1-4B8D-80A4-9B7C9D144E15.jpeg
    Beautiful Sunday afternoon in central Alabama, after some extended brutally cold weather. Enjoying PS Cube Cut in a Neerup bent, sitting in a Neerup stand, and with a Neerup tamp. Peder Jeppensen, who makes Neerup Pipes is sitting here with me. Well actually I made that last part up...:) But I have met him, and he is a very nice fella.

5. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Over the weekend I had Captain Earl's Stimulus Package in the Dolomiti and Nightcap in the Deluxe. Both are 320ks's
    DSCN0872.JPG

Corto, RyX, dbersh and 2 others like this.
  6. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Did something a bit different for me. I used a stinger pipe, this Dunmoor. I'll try again but I don't think stingers are for me.
    DSCN0915.JPG

Corto, RyX, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Two new to me estate pipes. I have cleaned them with Everclear, buffed with baking soda paste, and cleaned the bowls with salt and Everclear. Lightly oiled them both.

I know virtually nothing about pipes. I got them both super cheap at a local antique store.

Aldo Velani Grande 40 made in Italy
    Reflection by Ben Wade D13 made in Denmark

One will make its maiden voyage tonight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Bama Samurai

Welcome to POTD! PM me your address. ;)

SharptoothC likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Kaywoodie and OGS today.

Yesterday it was 656.

AGHisBBS, dbersh, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  10. SharptoothC

Sweet. I think my POTD will be a little redundant for a while.

AGHisBBS, BamaT and RyX like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Nice find!

AGHisBBS and SharptoothC like this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Everyone here started with one pipe, or maybe two!

13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

It sounds like you may be new to pipe smoking, and if so don’t hesitate to ask questions. We have a number of knowledgeable and friendly pipe folks here. There is more to pipe smoking than striking a match or lighter; there’s a fair amount of technique involved, and we’re always glad to help. Proper packing, lighting, draw, and tamping, as well as selecting good tobaccos to get started are all important, and will greatly add to enjoyment of the pipe.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

MM and PA on the way to work..
    [​IMG]

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I thought I had a 320ks the other day. Guy wanted to haggle over a few bucks. I got stubburn...he kept the pipe.

BamaT and AGHisBBS like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Some of those were $2.49 corncobs. Well mine was. I've almost got an even match of baccy to bowls right now. Need to figure out what to do about one of my slightly used units. It was fine for a long time, but now the tenon fits a little loose in the mortise. I don't want to do damage so I set it aside. Kind of afraid the bowl might just drop off the stem while I'm tooling down the road.
    Otherwise I'm a Southerner freezing my hind end off in this weather lately. Doesn't stop me from a smoke, but it's hard to relax and enjoy while shivering with a pipe in hand outside.
    Today I packed up the Stanwell Army Mount with PS Lux Bullseye Flake. It's got much of what I like all in one coin. Virginias, Perique, and a center of dark Cavendish. Very much like Escudo to me, though that's what I used this pipe for last.
    POTD 01252018 PS LUX Bulls Eye in Stanwell.gif Then I got all muddy digging up a leaky water pipe at a BBQ joint. Only needed to go 18" deep for three foot square to find all the pin holes that were making a mud casserole.

BamaT, Erik Redd, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  17. SharptoothC

I smoked the Ben Wade tonight. It beats my little cob pipe by miles. Wow. If this remains my only pipe I'll be happy.

18. SharptoothC

Much appreciated. I've been practicing on a little cob pipe. The Ben Wade is an entirely different animal. I had no trouble smoking two leisurely bowls tonight, which is saying something as I usually go through multiple re-lights on the cob. This is a much deeper bowl and a much longer smoke. It also has no filter so I wonder how much that affected the outcome.

19. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Welcome to POTD, IMO a filter in a cob doesn’t affect it too much. However packing does and baccy does. From my experience, if you overpack the bowl it will affect the draw and increase in re-lights. I wouldn’t worry about re-lights too much other than be conscious if it occurs more with one type of pipe or baccy or a combination. Some baccy needs to dry out, even if it feels OK. What baccy are you smoking?

BamaT, Erik Redd, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  20. SharptoothC

Store brand Burley from a local shop. I got it dialed in fairly well last night.

BamaT, dbersh, Erik Redd and 3 others like this.