Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It actually came out pretty good.

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

If the product was too dry? Sure. More often it's a case of wanting drier. Once you get a particular jarred blend just right then keep it sealed tight.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

Sounds right. I was just wondering in case I leave some put away for a long period of time.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

As per suggestions from folks right here; A dampened paper towel across the top of a mason jar and lid screwed down will hydrate. Don't want wet drippy, or the moist towel to be in contact with the tobacco.

gorgo2, BamaT and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. jimjo1031

It's what I used when putting a few cigars in a small box for temporary use.

RyX likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Had a little PA in a cob on the way in to work. Veddy nice.

7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I tried PS400 and PS403 over the weekend, thanks to recommendation from folks in this thread. Both were very good and I especially liked the 403 as it was a bit different than a typical VaPer (probably not a true VaPer). I can see having both of these around as regular smokes.
    I also finished my one year experiment with aromatics. Some of them were quite nice but not something I enjoyed for an everyday, all day smoke.
    I re0ordered some Seattle Pipe Club's "Plum Pudding," a tobacco I enjoyed for a few years. I used to order it in bulk, but availability became an issue as it grew in popularity with the demise of Penzance. I also noticed a decline in quality. It's no longer available in bulk (not that I could find) and I'm hoping the quality stabilized. In its prime, it was a very fine English blend.

Thanks @RyX and @Bama Samurai for your excellent advice on the Stokkerbye tobaccos.

jimjo1031, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Glad you liked it! I am hard core VA, and 400 is a good one.

jimjo1031, RyX and dbersh like this.
  9. DesertTime

Yes it is. Actually, I think these beat McClelland's 2015 and 2035 in both performance and taste. I was surprised how nicely they smoke right out of the bag; easy to light and keep lit. McClelland's usually need considerable drying to get them started and keep them going. McClelland's pure Virgina's would also tear your tongue out if you weren't careful. Stokkebye's tend to be much gentler. Perhaps they age their tobaccos a little longer then McClelland?

jimjo1031 and RyX like this.
  10. DesertTime

Any suggestions on pipe lighters? My old Corona has been back to the factory a couple of times and it finally died. I've tried a couple of newer lighters without much luck. Colibri seems to have really declined in quality.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

I can't get over the fermented ketchup smell that is McClelland.

jimjo1031 and DesertTime like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

I've had little luck. The altitude of Colorado disagrees with butane fired lighters, and I won't use naphtha fuel oil lighters like Zippo or Ronson because of smell. I stick with Bic or Djeep, matches at home.

jimjo1031, RyX and DesertTime like this.
  13. DesertTime

Here's a pipe you may find interesting. It was carved my Michael Butera before he built his tobacco empire. I bought it in Houston around 1992. Butera lived in the Houston area and frequented a couple of pipe shops in the area. I'm not sure he's still carving, but I think his pipes
    are quite rare.
    2018-03-12 10.26.00.jpg

BamaT, jimjo1031, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you enjoyed the Stokkebyes!

PS #403 is described as a Virginia/Perique and that added bulls eye of Cavendish sweetens the deal. When I rub out a coin I set the center aside so I can break it up and top load the Cavendish with a little fine tinder to facilitate lighting.
    That PS #400 is a straight up VaPr. Sometimes I add a little extra Perique but it's good quality all by itself.

jimjo1031, AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Butera's Golden Cake in a Calabrese smooth "Modorators model" pipe.
    DSCN0942.JPG

BamaT, jimjo1031, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Dark roast and Italian cream coffee with a Peterson System & PS Lux Navy Flake in the morning. Later on a drive to the countryside, Stanwell & PS Lux Twist Flake. [​IMG][​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

17. DesertTime

Very nice. That Peterson is unusual, but gorgeous.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Dennis. I picked it up at a local thrift store. Might have paid $20 for it. When I tried to figure out what the style is called I was shocked to see that I'd gotten it for a great price. I have yet to see a photo, sales brochure, or listing on any websites of one just like it. It fits well in my hand with the divots all over the bowl. If I see another System pipe, I'll be adding it to my collection!

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My pipe to work today. Stuffed with H&H Acadian Perique. Veddy veddy veddy nice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

This one?
    HH Acadian Perique.png

Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS and jimjo1031 like this.