Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

A pinch of PS701 added to PS312 for my Grand Duke and back to "Closure: Jack Randall #1" by Randall Wood from Kindle on my tablet..................

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No picture today. I packed a favorite Meer with PA for the ride to workm.

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 03192018.gif Dunhill Ready Rubbed in the Rossi Prince, with a cup of Community King Cake and Italian creamer. I was gearing up to start on a new jobsite, but got a text from the customer. So the project starts tomorrow. I'm sure I can find something to entertain myself.
    unsupervised racoon.png

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

PS Bullseye in a Stanwell 403. At a jobsite waiting for the customer to show up... [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

5. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

St Pat's day smoke. Peterson St. Pat's pipe and Old Dublin.
    DSCN0943.JPG

6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I like the stem treatment! How was the Old Dublin?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Somewhere in Colorado, the twin of this setup is soon to have it's inauguration.
    Thank you Chris! [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

BamaT, AGHisBBS and Erik Redd like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

And we are on....

[​IMG]

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Addendum to previous post; T. Cristiano Calibresi circa 2004 or so. Straight stem, diamond cut metallic band, nice thick walled briar. I gave the stem an Everclear rub down and passed a cleaner through for good measure. A quick pass with a dampened fuzzy stick up the shank to the well centered draught hole showed a little color from the precarbonized bowl.

The Capstan is cellared from April of 2013. On popping the tin, a rich deep plum note. The product is in the "just right" moisture content zone. Tightly packed under the heavy paper, the shag cut (?) lifts and expanded easily. Packed a 2/3's deep bowl and stepped out side. Smooth, definitely a plum to my senses. Have to pick some up next time I pass through the produce section. Light, tamp, & light and all the day's cares slipped away. Still somewhat have a cigarette timing habit - so I paused before I finished the bowl. Fixing to put on a jacket for the 60 degrees and light breeze under clear skies. Delayed gratification / second half begins now!

BamaT, AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

I also cleaned up the pipe. 2/3 bowl slow burned for about 32 min.....

Same observation on Capstan. This tobacco exhibits typical plum/fig aroma of aged Virginia. Smooth, perfect moisture for a new pipe. To those reading, the pipe I have is same make and model as what Rick is writing about.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Ribbons? Capstan is a uniquely cut tobacco in the ready rubbed form.

RyX likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ribbons! Shag is a finer cut.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. AGHisBBS

Thank you! The Old Dublin was very good, not overpowering, good balance between the Virginia, Orientals, and Latakia. Kind of like 965 but more "grown up". Recommended only if you like latakia.

BamaT, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

By more grown up, do you mean smoother? More full bodied?

Thinking about getting back into Latakia blends, at least to a degree. I’ve got a couple tins of 965, which I used to enjoy. May have to give Old Dublin a try.

Erik Redd likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 03232018.gif
    Morning pipe with a cuppa. Cristiano and Capstan as I prep for the days work.

I've got a tin of Peterson's Balkan Delight to dip my toes in the Latakian waters. Think I'll pick up a cob in case it leaves a taint.

BamaT and Erik Redd like this.
  16. AGHisBBS

OK it really wasn't a fair comparison. My tin of Old Dublin had been ageing for about ten years, of course it's going to be better than the tin of 965 I picked up recently. I really can't give you good advise on a head to head of new tins. Sorry if I mislead.
    My best advise here is if you find something you like, order more than you need, put it away, and you will be rewarded with much better tobacco in the future.

Bama Samurai, BamaT and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Breaking in a Jobey Compact 090 NOS from late '70's - early '80's. Crafted during the Webber Era, it's a small bowl just right for a quick smoke, or with a precious tobacco. Popped the seal on a tin of Peterson University for the occasion.

When Fortune & Chance come together to provide a pleasant experience, tip your hat & smile at the world! [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

18. Bama Samurai

How was the draft and the burn, so far? About to post the Cristiano I just finished.

RyX likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

I can't repeat this advice enough, especially for Virginia and Navy styles. Discipline and planning are rewarded in Spades in the cellar.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Free flowing, smooth. It's a well crafted piece. I didn't check the clock, but a surprisingly long time to finish a short bowl. Being a raw burl and non-carbonized I was being gentle.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

BamaT, AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.