Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

IMG_20180526_071637_1527333566441.jpg
    Some BRM in my Rossi Rustic Author while enjoying the morning before the heat arrives

AGHisBBS, Paul Turner, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 05252018.gif Got busy yesterday and didn't post my morning pipe. It's a twin of Chris's @Bama Samurai Thomas Cristiano loaded from a matching tin of Capstan Original Navy Cut.

3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

PHOTO_20180526_153243.jpg

I earned this bowl of Old Toby with a few hours of tough yardwork - planted 2 lilacs, 3 peonies and some raspberries after clearing the back of the yard.

This bowl did not smoke well, though - the tobacco seemed wetter, and it was harder to keep lit, and relighting made the flavor less pleasing.

AGHisBBS, BamaT, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Pack more loosely, perhaps? I've found that different pipes like different load density. It's all about airflow.

BamaT, Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I'll give it a try. I've been using the German method I saw in a pipe forum I'm in

RyX and Deeter like this.
  6. The-Pipe-Smoker

The-Pipe-Smoker Well-Known Member

One week ago (last Sunday) I participated in a competition in a beautiful mountain valley in Central Switzerland. Unfortunately there were only 22 participants. The date was a bad choice. It was long weekend of Whit Sunday, when most people take a short vacation. However, I enjoyed the 2 hours motorcycle drive and the rustic place and rustic food.

The smoking times remained very low in average. But it was fun, as always.

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  7. The-Pipe-Smoker

For today - Sunday afternoon - I have picked...

[​IMG]

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Like this?

BamaT and Tdmsu like this.
  9. The-Pipe-Smoker

That is what I have always been doing to stuff my pipes. This video explaines it in a complicated, or let's say, in a very extensive way. And why would this method be called "the German method"?

The essential is, to pack loose at the bottom of the pot, and pack denser on top.

What are your views?

BamaT, Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

When I'm looking for a "quick smoke" I've experimented trying to leave an open space below the tobacco. Compressing a pinch and screwing it into the bowl so that it expands and clings to the walls.

Usually I loosely fill to the top, and pack to half the depth. Then fill the remaining space and pack to 3/4 of 7/8 depending on the product.

Either way does require tamping during lighting, and again during consumption.

BamaT and Tdmsu like this.
  11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Yes!

RyX likes this.
  12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I think because Frank is German?

BamaT and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 05272018.gif Got inspired by the German references. Loaded the Jobey Stromboli with Germain's Brown Flake. It's a very satisfying smoke with a nearly cigar like flavor. TS Alberto keeps shifting the direction of the wind. It's brought some welcome cool breezes to SW Louisiana.

AGHisBBS, Tdmsu, Erik Redd and 3 others like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Yup!

15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The Gatlinburlier, in Gatlinburg, TN, says to load a pinch and press with the strength of a child. Add another pinch, and press with the strength of a woman. Lastly, add another pinch and press with the strength of a man. I don’t necessarily follow that exactly, what I do is add a fair sized pinch, then add another and gently roll in from the sides, maybe repeating one time. Following what you said, loose at the bottom and firmer on top.

Tdmsu, Erik Redd and RyX like this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

A99ECE0E-3C4F-4C9B-AD5C-B24D52EB8A30.jpeg
    Afternoon pipe, Partagas in a GBD Canadian.

AGHisBBS, Tdmsu, Erik Redd and 2 others like this.
  17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

We’re getting rain now from TS Alberto. Just started, Birmingham is at the Northernmost edge of the storm at this time.

Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  18. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

That’s a beautiful pipe

RyX likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you! It has the deepest rustication that makes for an easy grip.
    POTD 05282018.gif
    PS 312 Toasted Burley in the Chacom 115J bent billiard.

20. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I got up early this morning and went to the shooting range. That’s a Gefapip giant pipe, made in France, full of Lane’s Crown achievement. The pipe is bigger than my .25 acp. Hahaha. The zippo lighter, was one of my grandfather’s. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk