Your razor for trying a new blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Leisureguy, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I just realized this morning, as I tried a new brand of blade, that I have started to gravitate to the Merkur Classic head whenever I want to test a new blade. This morning, for example, I used the Edwin Jagger Georgian. (I know some guys think the EJ razors are overpriced, but I really like them a lot.)

At any rate, I believe that some of you have more than one razor. If you do, do you tend to favor a particular razor when trying a new brand of blade?

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

My reference shave uses a Merkur 34C HD Classic Razor. All new blade tests go to that razor first. If it passes that, then I go to the Merkur HD Slant Bar Razor.

3. CatMan

CatMan Member

I first try new blades in one of my Weishis. This way I can weed out blades that are not good for me. If it doesn't work in a Weishi, then it doesn't work, period. After passing this test, I put (a new) blade (of the same kind) in my Merkur Standard. If that's OK, then the ultimate test is the Slant. If it passes this one, I found a great blade. As always, YMMV. :cool:

4. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I tried a new blade this morning and was reaching for my Gillette Slim Adjustable but went for my Super Speed instead. On hind sight I should have grabbed the Slim. I know it bettera but have been trying out the Super Speed all last week so stayed with it.

5. I use my Feather popular, very mild so it lets you get use to a new blade.

Paul

6. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I tend to use my Edwin Jagger Faux Ivory Chatsworth DE.. Its a superior razor when it comes to balance and userability.. Its great looking as well.. :drool

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Treet Delrin, for this same reason......though I did have a Feather popular and enjoyed it very much.

Earlier this summer we had some guests stay in our apartment, and the gentleman was fascinated with my shavery. Gave the feather popular to him (as I think its user-friendly) with a cheap brush, some cream, and blades.

Which reminds me, I gotta ask for an update on his progress

8. minderasr

minderasr Member

I try new blades with whatever razor I'm using at the moment. Lately, I've gone back to using my Merkur Progress. In the past it was my '59 Gillette Fatboy.

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Also an excellent razor, maybe I should've added that; however, I seem to get a great shave no matter what blade I throw in the Fatboy :happy088

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

1950-ish SuperSpeed

11. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Merkur 38C...

It use to be the Merkur HD but the Merkur 38C won the battle between the two...

Enjoy your shave... :D

12. Htownmmm

Htownmmm Member

Whatever is up next in the rotation.

Marty

13. Interesting I don't like my fatboy. They seem to be very highly rated, anyone else not like them?

Paul

14. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I seem to get irritation when I use it at the proper aggression for my beard.

15. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I cannot get my Fatboy to agree with me.. I cannot get a good shave with it..

16. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Interesting... I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say they didn't like the "Fat Boy". But I guess since we are all "preferential" it's possible. After all, I like Merkur Razor Blades. Go figure...

And as always the object of the game is to...

Enjoy your shave...:D

17. MarSellus Wallace

MarSellus Wallace New Member

Three identical

I believe that the only proper way to test blades is to have three parallel set-ups. Hence, I always use the same three razors when I test blades: three Gillette Superspeed red tips (because I feel most comfortable with these). I load each up with a different blade and use the same set-up (TOBS cream) and routine (hot shower or towel as prep) on a 1-day old growth.

Up till now, the benchmark for me is the Swede. I'm currently testing the BIC platinum, the Gillette Super Silver and the Derby blades. I will soon toss out the Gillette Super Silver and replace them with Israeli Personna's.

18. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Perhaps it's out of whack. How's the blade alignment? Equal? Everything else OK mechanically?
    I do find mine a little bulky under the nose, other than that OK.

19. herzi

herzi Active Member

I test new blades with my Parker 22r. It's perfect for me.

20. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

It's always been Merkur HD for me until I got this new gold Trumper Warwick. Same cutting head as the HD but the feel and weight of the handle is just increadible. Definately my new "go to" DE.