Your razor for trying a new blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Leisureguy, Sep 8, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

How is it compared to your 38C then?

2. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

38C handle is too heavy, balance is akward. The Warwick blows it away. It'll probably be a long time before I pick up that 38C again... looks pretty on the rack though :D

3. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

MarSellus, I like the idea of the parallel set-up---plus you can deliberately not know which of the three blades you're shaving with. Do you use all three in one shave, or use them for three shaves in succession?

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I've noticed you can get a big difference in performance between passes 1, 2 and 3 sometimes.

5. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

I use my late '40s Gillette Milord first. Then my '54 SS.

6. fritz

fritz New Member

I tend to put it in one of my Slants. I figure if it won't work in the Slant, then I'm probably not interested. Then there's the famous slant "magnification" factor at work....

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Ya, it tends to do that doesn't it. Still, it's my workhorse razor so I make absolutely sure it works in that after I'm done with testing a blade in the Merkur HD 34C.

8. mantic

mantic U TOOB

My Progress (narrowly edging out my Weishi).

--Mark

9. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

Ok, you had to mention this razor. I thought I was done buying shaving stuff..Where would one go to purchase one of these gems?

Steve

10. MarSellus Wallace

MarSellus Wallace New Member

All three in one shave, half a cheek each (one reserve cheek:D). The neck is another, separate area to evaluate the quality of the blade on (harshness e.g.). Indeed, one doesn't know which blade is in the razor, hence no prejudices. Blind 'tasting' as it were...:D

I always use the same lather too, made with a TOBS cream. A consistent setup is the key to reliable testing...

11. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I got mine directly from Trumpers. They have been doing a 50% off on all their discountinued items, which sadly includes all the Warwick DE's.

I know where there are a few here in the US, but not quite as cheap. $110 for the gold last I checked.

12. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just stick with the HD..those sure are nice, though.

Steve

13. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I actually rotate through three:

Tech
    Superspeed
    Fat Boy

The Tech is mild enough that I know it's not the cause of any blade issues, but aggressive enough to give me a bit of bite. The Superspeed is the opposite, it tames any blade I've used in it, so I know that maybe the blade would be OK even if other razors make it bite too much. And the Fat Boy, if I can't get a good shave from my Fat Boy even with non-standard (for me) adjustments, the blade doesn't get a place of preference.

Of course, I go through three new blades with 3-4 shaves each to minimize the chance I am suffering from bad manufacturing techneek.

If the blade passes all three of these, then I feel good about using it in any of the razors I have. Otherwise, the blade might make the grade for one type of razor but not others. The ever-popular Derby has never made me happy in any razor, so it is out for life. I use Feathers everywhere, but really they work best in my Superspeed. And so on. And so forth. ::

14. barbarosa

barbarosa New Member

Merkur Progress

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Why use a special razor for a new blade brand? If you use one particular razor for this you probavbly won't be able to tell how it will perform in one of your mainstream shavers. Why not put it to work in one of the mainstream shavers. Of course I am assuming that you have on shaver reserved for trying new blades. I don't I put it to work in one of my Super Speeds. Of course its a bit dificult to not do this since I have approximatly one hundred blade samples. :happy036. That's 100% of the blades I have on hand, 80% of which were free. :happy036

16. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Mainstream shaver would be fine. I was just wondering whether, when trying a new blade, you guys generally went to one particular razor in your normal rotation. And I find---this is amazing---YMMV. :)

17. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Right now I am nuts about the Super Speed razors, I have two. A 50s and a 70s and bounce back and forth between the two. All new blades must provide BBS right from shave number one in both of the two Super Speeds. Often times I will exchange a blade between the two of them just ot make sure that the BBS in one of them was not a fluke.

18. JPOMP

JPOMP New Member

I use a Weishi or my Parker 22R and if favorable than I'll put the blades into my rotation with my Merkurs.

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    AS I only use one razor really, it would be my Gillette Ladies Pink Star for testing, and using, blades.

But technically, I don't test blades. Not since I found the Sharps. Don't need to test other blades. Which is good cause I have plenty of them, and don't care to have hundreds upon hundreds of blades laying around the house.

20. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

+1

and I use my HD to try out new blades!