Yuma Safety Razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by skyfox12, Jul 27, 2011.

1. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Just received my Yuma Razor from Best Shave last Thursday. The first time I tried it was with only 1 day's growth, and it did not perform that well. But I knew that since my facial hair was not completely exposed due to shaving the day prior, I knew to give the razor a second chance when there was more growth. So I skipped the weekend and started clean on Monday with a good 3 day's growth. Just about the best, closest shave I have ever received. That's comparing it to all of the other razors I have ever tried, including Gillette Superspeeds (including the Red Tips), Techs, and Gem Open Comb Micromatics and Featherweights. I used a Wal-Mart Wilkinson Sword, and did 2 passes, 1 wtg, and 1 xtg, with some touchups via buffing/pasting as per mantic's videos. It wasn't perfectly BBS, because that would entail going atg, and that usually ends up with redness and irritation. No redness, no irritation ensued with my 2 pass shave. DillyB is very much on the spot when he said it was a great razor for the money. I bought four of them, gambling that they wouldn't be duds. I got lucky. The greatest relief I found is that the head doesn't cave in the tighter you assemble it, as was the case with some other razors I purchased. I really didn't have to go ultra slow either, but would recommend doing so for a first time DE wetshaver. You do have to be mindful when assembling the razor with a blade because it does require minor adjustment when tightening so the blade exposure is equal on both sides. When properly assembled/tweaked, it will deliver an exemplary shave, and for $2.59 a razor, the value IMO is very hard to beat. It has now become my go to razor, and probably be for a time to come. Two thumbs up. Also, they shine up very nicely with a polishing cloth, polish itself had no effect on them for some reason, but that is just my experience. Highly recommended, takes about two weeks for shipment after you pay online.

2. jcwit

jcwit Member

I also am a fan of the YUMA razor, they give excellent shaves. Only complaint I had was the light handle which I altered by making a press fit brass rod fot the hollow handle. Improved the balance and handling IMO. Polished up with Flitz they look pretty cool.

For $2.60 I fail to see how they can be beat.

3. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I have a Yuma razor also , it's not a razor that i would recommend to a beginner, since there is some issue with getting the blade even on both side ,
    but it's a good razor to play with when you are a bit experienced at DE shaving.
    And as said above it performs better on a heavy growth of beard.
    Compare to a Yuma a slant is a mild razor.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Its an OK razor. It was much better than I expected for the price. At the low price, it is excellent. It will do a pretty good job. I did polish mine up as well and then it oxidized very rapidly. Reminded me of a piece of zinc.

5. dilly-b

dilly-b Member

Once you learn to 'drive' it, you will love it more and more. I recommend it even for beginners because it will NOT forgive ANY BAD HABITS!:D For the price, everybody should at least try it. Whenever I have stubborn areas that I can't 'get' with another razor - the Yuma is the go-to finisher - it gets everything.

6. The Yuma razor is made of Zinc, and therefore will oxidize quicker. If you can get past the horrid looks of this very humble razor (looks as if it came from a gumball machine), the shave is wonderful. Notice how the blade is bent over the lather plate much more than, say on a Merkur or other brand razor. This little change in the blade's angle, as it rounds over the lather plate, is what makes this razor shave so very well (the correct blade-to-face angle is already built into the design of the rounder arch of the head and lather plate. For me, its extremly light weight helps to keep it light against your skin.

Shaves wonderfully... looks horrendous. Shave bliss: Yuma paired with an Astra Superior Platinum blade