The US West Coast Bunny Injector Pass-Around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rufus T., Feb 20, 2016.

1. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

:bounce017: Welcome to the US West Coast Bunny Injector Pass-Around! :bounce017:

I’m proud to announce that I’ll be helping with the Bunny injector pass-around for the US West Coast. If you live in the US and live WEST of the Mississippi, your opportunity to participate will be through this specific thread. Here is how the Bunny pass-around will work. By participating you agree to follow all guidelines and rules below:

Experienced injector users will get the Bunny first, but all casual injector shavers willing to provide feedback are welcome and encouraged to join in. We're doing our pass-around this way to get helpful, experienced feedback to the craftsman responsible for the razor as soon as possible for potential future modifications.

Experienced Injector Users - shavers that regularly shave with a variety of injectors and are capable of describing distinctions between injector shaves.

Casual Injector Users - someone who has tried injectors and/or is interested in exploring them further. We don't expect to exclude anyone from this that wants to be involved, but we highly advise that if you've never tried an injector before, that you try to find a nice mild one to try for a couple weeks before the Bunny gets to you so you experience the basics before the Bunny gets to you.

How to get on the list:
    • Send me a PM if you'd like to participate. (Do not post your request in this thread.)
    • Tell me if you are an Experienced or Casual injector user.
    • Please toss a sentence in your PM on why you fall into the category you chose.
    • Send me your home mailing address. It will only be seen by me and the person preceding you on the list.
    • Advise me of any period where you may not be able to do a 10 day trial ( i.e., a one week trip to Hawaii is planned for the week of blah, blah, blah)

Experienced injector shavers should PM me by February 28. All others by March 6.
    I will devise the routing plan for the Experienced injector shavers first and in a way to move the razor around as quickly as possible. Once that is completed we will begin the pass-around for the Casual injector razor users.

Pass-Around Rules
    (Your PM to opt in, is your agreement with the rules below.)

• Shave as often as you like but please forward the razor after you’ve had it for 10 days. If you don’t like it or are done with your evaluation early, no hard feelings – really! But please send it on sooner to make the wait shorter for your fellow shave fanatics.
    • Your price of admission (aside from postage costs) is to please post comments about your shaves. What works well, what would you change about the Bunny, and what you don’t like, are all useful comments. Any and all ideas are welcome. You can post for each shave or do a single, complete post for the time you tested it. Please log your posts in this West Coast Thread.
    • It is your responsibility to contact the next person to confirm their decision to participate and also confirm their address. Mail it to them in a box – not an envelope. Please be sure it is insured for $50 (usually included in standard USPS postage for a package this size) as you are responsible for the razor from the time you receive it until the time the next person receives it.
    • A tracking number must be assigned to the shipment and you agree to PM the tracking number to me and to the next person on the list when you ship it.
    • Prior to shipping the razor, you also agree to disinfect it and to send it with a blade loaded. Do NOT send the razor on without a blade loaded.
    • After you receive the razor please let us know that you received it with a post on the thread.
    We recommend that you sterilize the razor when you receive it and replace the blade. The mild comb (MILD) is highly recommended for your first shave. After that, please experiment with combs and blades as you see fit and let us know what you learn.

As this is a shaving forum activity we want to accommodate all who want to try them. After all that is part of the fun.! We do not know how many want to have a try with them. If there are a lot it may take a while to get to you. I hope you will understand.

Let's have some fun and enjoy the opportunity to enjoy a unique piece of craftsmanship by a very talented and generous TSD member who does all this in his spare time!
    Thanks for sharing your talents with this community @twhite ! :happy096:

Cheers!
    RT

--------
    I will soon begin to post and periodically update the names of shavers to be part of the pass-around. If you've tried to PM me but don't see your name on the list, contact me in a day or so but at least by the 28th. The posted list will not be the order of delivery, as I will devise the route to flow through the West in the most efficient manner once all users are identified and charted.

Future posts on this thread should just be reviews of the Bunny Razor from users;
    comments / discussion with each reviewer; announcements of sending / receiving the razor between participants; and, other developments as the pass-around proceeds.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    wristwatchb, Hirsute, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Heads up the razors have been mailed.

Tom

Billyfergie, BeShaved, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  3. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

The Bunny Route

For personal planning, here's the updated route as of September 4.

Using the Chief Bunny's (@twhite ) preference of:
    - Experienced Injector shavers and then Casual Injector shavers,
    and
    - using geography based on its starting point - Seattle.

I've charted that the Bunny will make a round trip circuit as follows:

States - north to south:
    WA - Rufus T. (2/23 - 3/5)
    OR - Billdog2 (3/7 - 3/14)
    CA - Spidey9 (3/19 - 3/28)
    MO - thevez2 (3/30 - 4/9)
    CO - Bama Samurai (4/11 - 4/15)
    TX - JR Reyes (4/18 - 4/30)
    TX - DaltonGang (5/5 - 5/22)

States - south to north
    LA - Ryx (5/25 - 6/5)
    AZ - ob1page (6/8 - 6/27)
    CO - whiteboy_cannon (7/1 - 7/14)
    MN - lloydrm (7/17 - 7/26)
    ID - Ram57 (7/28 - 8/13)
    CA - Beardbgone (8/19 - 9/3)

OR - Hirsute
    WA - MattCB, The Other Donald,
    CA - jmudrick
    Rufus T.

In order for Test Shavers to gauge when the Bunny will arrive to them...the Chief Bunny has suggested 10 shaves per user. This is not required and Testers can send it off sooner. But I'd plan for about 2 weeks between each Tester to account for 10 shaves and travel time.

Shavers are asked to clean/sanitize the razor PRIOR to shipping to the next recipient. Please forward the USPS tracking number to me and the next recipient after you’ve mailed it. When you confirm that the Bunny has arrived, I will send you the address of the next recipient as the schedule may change as latecomers potentially come aboard.

Thanks to all for your patience in waiting for, what I'm assuming is, a once in a lifetime chance to participate in such a unique opportunity!

Don't forget to post a unique photo if you can of the Bunny as it visits your town!

Bunny in California with @Beardbgone

Next stop - Oregon with @Hirsute

On Deck - to Washington to @MattCB
    In the hole @The Other Donald
    Just added! - Back to California to @jmudrick
    Last Stop @Rufus T.

--------------
    Participant List - US West Coast Bunny Razor Pass-Around
    (as of 9/04/16)

Experienced
    @JR Reyes
    @feeltheburn
    @DaltonGang
    @billdog2
    @RaZorBurn123
    @Bama Samurai
    @thevez2
    @spidey9
    @The Other Donald
    @Beardbgone
    @jmudrick

Casual
    @MoAllen
    @PLANofMAN
    @RyX
    @MattCB
    @whiteboy_cannon
    @Hirsute
    @ob1page
    @ram57
    @lloydrm

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Be advised, participants are encouraged to add a link to this page in their signature.

(For instructions on adding a link to your signature, CLICK HERE)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

The US West Coast Bunny has arrived!

A few photos to show Tom's attention to detail, not just with the razor but also the packaging - just for a simple pass-around!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456278318.778414.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456278332.218039.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456278348.625173.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456278363.533937.jpg

And a size comparison with a couple other injectors -
    Schick Type E2, the Bunny and PAL Adjustable

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456278546.624082.jpg

6. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

February 23, 2016
    The US West Coast Bunny has arrived!

After carefully reading @Billyfergie multiple shave reviews of his use of the Bunny, as well as those by it's Creator (@twhite ) I chose to use a Schick (China) blade and the 'Mild' comb for the first shave. I lathered using Mitchell's Wool Fat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456284209.569152.jpg

I had read reviews regarding loading a blade in this razor and was a touch apprehensive. The loading slot for the injector key was extremely tight. As I used the slide to load the blade it felt a bit 'blocked.' Instead of trying to force the slide to load the blade, I carefully jiggled the key slightly while applying easy pressure to the slide and the blade glided right in. I think the key was ever so slightly below the blade bed of the razor. By lifting it up just a tad, the key and razor were perfectly aligned for the blade to slide onto the bed.

But while slowly sliding the blade out of the key and onto the razor, the leading edge of the blade seemed to slide down from it's alignment position just prior to reaching the blade end guide on the razor. I pulled the key out. I gently placed the remaining blade end onto my tile sink countertop while I also used my fingernail to slide the blade up to the level of the guide. The blade made a satisfying 'click' sound. I looked closely with a magnifying glass and noticed a perfect alignment without any noticeable damage to the blade.

All the above took about three minutes and was easily accomplished, by taking care and not forcing anything.

The head of the razor is nothing like I've used before. I'd say it's closest to a Repeater, which I just happened to use for a month straight in January. The blade spring has a much higher profile than the Repeater. I tend to use my Repeater nearly perpendicular to my face. But the copper spring height of the Bunny seems to have been calculated to provide the optimal blade angle so I just went with it and the angle seemed to work well.

Another noticeable difference was the bulk added to the comb area due to the desire to have three changeable combs. With all the above, the form factor is noticeable different. It will have standard injector shavers scratching their head a bit figuring out how to approach it. But as Billy has offered - though we will tend to make comparisons, this razor needs to be assessed as a different approach to injector shaving.

I usually do a two pass shave unless I have a two or three day growth. So XTG and ATG today.

Using the built-in 'angle finder' I purposely tried to hold the razor as low on the handle as I could. The center of gravity is closer to the head of course so by holding it low on the handle it reminded me to just let the design, razor and blade do the work as I steer it around my face. The razor / blade combo was not silent on most strokes but, it was not the Velcro-ripping sound that other injectors are known for. This was a much softer sound and face feel.

On both passes, I also worked to not do too many repeat strokes. Just to focus on coverage and technique. It got a bit dicey as I got around my trouble spots - chin and corners of the mouth...where I developed a few minor weepers. But I'm sure that in time I'll find the best approach with this razor.

In summary, this shave was as good or better than any first shave I've had with any razor. Twelve hours later my face is as smooth as can be with just a subtle feel of growth coming back in the usual places. I'm sure that I could do a one-pass tomorrow if I wasn't so keen to continue the analysis using multiple passes.

I'm really looking forward to my ten days with this beautiful instrument!
    Thanks so much Tom!
    :happy096:

Cheers!
    RT

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Rufus

Excellent write up. I will be taking notes on all observations. After the pass around gets to several more victims testers I am hoping to see some pattern on how it performs. The good,bad and ugly. That will help me to improve on the next iteration.

Keep the observations coming.

Tom

8. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

With all the work you put into this Tom - we owe you our honest experiences, all the while you know that we are just in awe of what you have done and continue to work on!
    :smiley respect:

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

B-V4! :)

10. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Don't anyone read too much into my first review. The only 'tweak' I can think of is the blade-loading mechanism. It would simply require a refinement in production - not a full-blown new version.

I'm still at BBS 12 hours later! :happy093:

11. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Is it mandatory? What is the reason to provide a link, when , if I read Rufus right, everybody will know the route he is laying out and we`re always in touch with Rufus and the next person on the list. With all due respect, I am very low tech. Please bear with me. Thanks.

Bill

12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Bill It is not at all mandatory. I am just happy I have volunteers to test my razor. All that is mandatory is you give an honest review of the razor.

oh yah and have fun.

13. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

You're good Bill!

Marverel, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  14. billdog2

Whew! I`m just barely pc literate. The tech revolution just flew by me as if I were standing still. Don`t worry, I always have fun. Just glad I`m still kicking around. With respect.

Bill

15. billdog2

Not according to my wife(haha). Thanks.

Bill

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great review. I'm eagerly awaiting my turn.
    I'm with Bill. I'm a little low tech too.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

@billdog2 I apologize Bill. That sounded very official and sort of mandatory on my part. I had the idea of having those folks who are participating to make it easy for nonparticipants to see our messages. In no way are you required to do anything I suggest!

18. billdog2

Sir, NO offense was taken, I would like to count you as a friend, trying to help your fellow members, with respect.

Bill

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Bill,
    Whatever works for you will work for us. I'm always here if you need any help.
    Kerry

20. billdog2

See, Kevin, what did I say about the members of TSD. Thank you Kerry.

BIll

Marverel, Rufus T. and Billyfergie like this.