Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Perhaps some cedar wood to mask the tea tree.

J.R. likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Maybe, I will try it next shave and see how bad it is. It's strong in the bottle, but it may be OK. I do like the rest of the mix I made.

3. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

After a couple uses of the version with tea tree oil, the smell isn't an issue at all. Really like it!

Tdmsu and Sara-s like this.
  4. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Any ideas on the best way to store it? I made a similar version I kept in an amber bottle with a cooking oil spout. After about a month it started growing something at the bottom; a mould perhaps. I'm going to try it again but maybe I need a tight lid instead of a spout that exposes it to the open air? Any thoughts?

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The amber bottle is a good idea. But I agree that a closed top is better. Perhaps a bottle with a pump would be good. Also, you could add a little Vitamin E as a preservative.

Spud and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Buckles

Buckles New Member

What is the best bottles for storage?

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you are using a scent, I like dark bottles (amber or blue) as many scents are light-sensitive. Plastics are probably best, as your hands may be slippery, when you are using this. Some kind of pour cap or pump is also useful.

8. ejmolitor37

ejmolitor37 Member

Yes Spud you will want a tight seal of some kind on that botte. Exposure to air will reduce the life span of the oil and thus make more work and expense for you in the end. Cheers

TheManWithNoName and Sara-s like this.
  9. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Spud, I don't know if you've found a storage bottle you like, but you might consider a bottle like one of these (if you're still looking for one):

AmberEyeDropperBottle.jpg

You can purchase this bottle here.

AmberPumpBottle.jpg

You can purchase this bottle here (same site as the one above).

This site has different sizes if you don't like a 4 oz (120 ml) bottle (the size I linked to). And they do sell plain cap bottles, which you can find on this page, if you don't like the dropper cap or pump cap. These bottles are pretty cheap, and even cheaper (less than $1.00) if you purchase 128-199 bottles, though I suspect that might be a few more than you need.

There are a variety of different sites you can purchase amber bottles like these. (I've seen them sold on Amazon.) I just chose this one because it was one of the first sites to come up when I did a search for these, and the prices for are really low—even if you're not buying them in bulk. Good luck finding a bottle you like.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Robyflexx, Spud and Sara-s like this.
  10. TheManWithNoName

You make a good point about using plastic bottles since you'll have slippery hands. If you drop a plastic bottle, that's much safer than dropping a glass bottle (obviously). But it's worth noting that oils can absorb some of the chemicals in the plastic, so in that respect, a glass bottle is better. This is why it's good to have your cooking oils in a glass bottle—as chemicals from a plastic container get dissolved into the oil adversely affect the flavor and make it less healthy. Of course, we're talking about PSO's, so flavor really isn't an issue. But absorption of chemicals from a plastic bottle is still something to consider, nonetheless.

Sara, I really liked your recipe for a PSO on page one of this thread and it's what I used to make my own PSO. Thanks for sharing that with us. :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Spud and Sara-s like this.
  11. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Much appreciated, thanks. I'm using an amber glass bottle with a basic plastic cap. It's a little messy but air tight. I'll use it for a while and see how it goes.

TheManWithNoName likes this.
  12. TheManWithNoName

It's slightly less convenient than having the dropper built into the cap, but you might consider purchasing an eyedropper from your local pharmacy or grocery store. You can find one for somewhere around $1–$2. That might help make things a little less messy for you. Anyway, I'm glad you found something that's working for you. Please let us know if you find something you like better.

Spud likes this.
  13. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I needed something to keep my Williams moist, so I figured a pre-shave oil was what I needed. I have castor oil, and didn't really want to bug my landlady for some of her olive oil, so I thought...what would be a good thing to thin that stuff out and maybe give it a bit of fragrance?

Aqua Velva Musk.

I used a small motel mouthwash bottle, filled it about 2/3 with castor oil, and thinned it a bit with AV, adding a little until I thought it might be the right consistency. Then put a new Shark Super Chrome in my post-war Tech Fatty. I still need to thin it just a bit more, but it actually worked pretty good. I wetted the spots I needed to touch up with just a little water on my fingertips, and rubbed until my skinned slicked up. Still need to work on my technique on my trouble spots, but this is the closest shave I've gotten there yet, and the only place i got a couple of real light weepers. I think adding a bit of olive oil will do the trick, though.

swarden43 likes this.
  14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

never tried pre shave things but I do have a bottle of sweet almond oil, gonna apply that to my face before I lather

15. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Being new to DE shaving I'm going to give this a try. One question though, do I put water on my face then the pso then the lather or just pso then lather?

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

PSO first.

TheManWithNoName and Robyflexx like this.
  17. ob1page

I'm sorry but I haven't had any coffee yet so I'm not awake...pso then water then lather or no water at all? Thank you also for the recipe

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I use PSO everyday and I wet my face, apply the PSO then wet it again, then lather. :)

TheManWithNoName and ob1page like this.
  19. ob1page

Thank you for the info. P.S. I'm getting concerned for my wife. I just told her I needed to go to Sprouts for some grapeseed, castor and essential oils and her eyes rolled around in her head. This has happened a lot recently. I may need to get her checked out

RyX, Jorvaljr and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

She's gonna be doing a lot more of that believe me. :happy102: :sad027:

Jorvaljr and ob1page like this.