How to lather shave cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Will, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

Disclaimer: I just put the cream on the brush and lather on the face but here is an easy/fool prof way to do it. I even used a boar hair brush. :D

First soak your brush in hot water
    [​IMG]

Let the water drip out of your brush
    [​IMG]

Leave it a little wet but not dripping wet
    [​IMG]

A dab of cream
    [​IMG]

Put in bowl with a few drops of hot water
    [​IMG]

Swirl and pump
    [​IMG]

Until you get something that looks like this
    [​IMG]

Lather and shave baby!
    [​IMG]

2. herzi

herzi Active Member

Superb Will. Thank you.

I usually put a small amount of cream in the left hand and swirl with a wet brush there. Then I go onto face. Works also great.

Jim O, jgreenepa, MObigfoot and 2 others like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

all my shaving creams are from tubes, so I put a couple of dabs on both cheeks, and another dab on my chin, I wet the brush, and lather up. I think this method is the best.

Jim O, falconhal, Mike-R41 and 8 others like this.
  4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Very nice, Will! ::

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Dang, that is some nice looking lather there :happy005

What brand / type of cream did you use? Taylors Lavender? :)

6. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Will, congratulations on making such great lather with a Burma-Shave brush. Just goes to show that good technique is the main key.

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Steve, I couldn't agree more! I really don't think the brush makes much difference at all - at least for building lather. I have, or have had, a variety of brushes; from the $35 BBB to the $180 (or so) Tulip. I've used them with creams and soaps from Proraso to TSD to D.R. Harris to Mitchell's. Of course, Trumpers and Taylor creams. Even Williams soap. I get a potful of lather, no matter the combination. Every morning.

The difference in brushes, to me, is the appearance, the feel of the brush in my hand and most importantly, the feel of the brush on my face. But as for building lather, you could probably do it with a pad of steel wool. :eek: Hmm, maybe I'll give that a try! :D

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Sure is pretty.

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I just couldn't resist! :D Ok, it's not as good as Will's - and no, I did NOT try to apply it to my face! But I believe I made my point.

Gentlemen (and Ladies, of course), I give you Taylor's Lavender cream whipped up in about 30 seconds with a pad of very coarse steel wool (bet 0000 would have been even better, but I didn't have any)!

:cool: :happy097

Attached Files:

Jim O, Puma, MObigfoot and 6 others like this.
  10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Are you going ahead with next step too.. and apply it to your face with the steel wool pad? :rolleyes:

MObigfoot and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Michael, you have too much spare time :rofl

Douglas Carey and Radiotube like this.
  12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Michael, Will, I like those photos!

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

When I do use creams......this is how I roll, as well.
    That said, I do rub it in a bit with my fingers to form a "prelather" before going at it with the brush.

BamaT, Wildfireman and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Ah, the challenge is on. I just happen to have some 0000 steel wool I use for my straight restoration, so I'll have to give it a try and report back!

15. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

Go ahead and use the steel wool, that is what you pay $$$$ for at a salon...

EXFOLIATION (or is that DEFORESTATION?) :happy102 ( I crack myself up sometimes.)

16. OmegaEdge

OmegaEdge New Member

I noticed in the instructions it says to "swirl and pump" my question is what do you mean by pump? I normally just swirl like I am mixing heavy cream to make whipped cream.

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

pump is just that..pump the brush up and down in the bowl...like a butter churn. It introduces more air into the mix

18. oxcrew

oxcrew New Member

The matic videos might also provide a good explaination to newbies who are looking for a good example of how to make a good lather

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    They do, and they have their own sticky around here somewhere, but the forums are here to teach, learn, and expand on subjects, which is exactly what mantic and the rest of us use(d) them for.

Mike-R41 and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. Will

Will Nevermind

Also more water in the mix and more cream to the brush.