Types of aftershaves

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Will, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

Alum Block
    What is it? It is a solid block/rock of Alum and Mineral Salts.
    How to use? Wet with cold water and rub all over wet face.
    Pros = all natural, makes skin feel tight and smooth.
    Cons = a bit drying and if you get any near your mouth area you are going to taste it, not plesent tasting.

Examples: Alum Block, Bloc Osma

Lotion
    What is it? Usually an alcohol or Witch Hazel based aftershave splash type.
    How to use? Splash on wet face.
    Pros = cleans and tightens, heals razor burn, and has cooling effect if you add menthol.
    Cons = could be drying or harsh for some skin types. Can burn like lava if alcohol based (I like the burn :D).

Examples: Aqua Velva, Old Spice

Milk
    What is it? It is usually a hydrosol based product with a milky consistency between a Lotion and Balm.
    How to use? Smooth over wet face.
    Pros = lighter then a balm and usually full of good stuff. No alcohol burn
    Cons = could feel sticky on some.

Examples: DR Harris, The Shave Den Aftershave Milk

Conditioner/Gel/Balm/Balsm/Skin Food (they feel the same to me but some may say different).
    What are they? They are thicker aftershaves meant for moisturizing usually low or no alcohol content.
    How to use? Massage in over wet face.
    Pros = heavy moisturizing and my even have SPF protection also the lack of alcohol.
    Cons = could be too much for some skin types may even be counter productive for oily skin. More likely to contain Parbens.

Examples: Anherb, Nivea, Trumper’s

Witch Hazel
    What is it? Hamamelis Plant Hydrosols with very low alcohol content. For relief of minor skin irritations.
    How to use? Like a Splash.
    Pros = all natural and low alcohol content good for sensitive skin.
    Cons = dose not have any other goodies like glycerin or menthol, can be drying. I would recommend using a Balm with it if your skin can take balms.

Examples: Thayer’s, Dickinson’s

Talc
    What is it? Is a mineral composed of hydrated magnesium silicate.
    How to use? Rub on hands and rub on dry face, you can also use a barber’s neck duster.
    Pros = “dims face shine as it helps to hide nicks and blemishes”.
    Cons = may react to skin; breathing may make you cough or sneeze violently.

Examples: Pinaud, Borotalco Roberts

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Thanks, Will! ::

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Anyone care to add more to the party?

I had to have missed some. ;)

4. razoir

razoir New Member

Nice run-down of the types--thorough

5. gman41

gman41 Member

Cream or balm here

even before I began posting and reading here I never found liquid, alcohol based stuff any good. Something always more healing seemed in a cream or balm to me.

6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Post Shave Moisturiser or generic moisturiser to the balms section?

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Please correct me if I am not correct, but this is my understanding, two types: Balms and splashes. Splashes tend to be more liquid types that you splash on to your face, while balms are more like gels that do not really splash on to your face much. Bees like the balms on my face so I tend to go with the splashes much more so.

Please correct me if I am not correct.

8. omegapd

omegapd New Member

You are correct sir! (said in my best Ed McMahon voice)

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Well alum certainly doesn't fit into those two categories. Does it?

The point of Mottern Man's post was to help people understand the terminology companies use for their products.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. Teiste

Teiste New Member

The only ones that I think that you could be missing is pure Aloe Vera gel and pure Jojoba oil(but some milks and balms contains it on its formulas).By themselves works really good,alove vera is wonderful for hot days and jojoba oil(its not an "oil" but its called that way) its great for really dry skin.The cons are how they smell(not very pleasant,specially the pure Aloe Vera gel)

LevelupShaves and dinatali like this.
  11. gman41

gman41 Member

Side effects

Alum just sounds bad for you...like a chemical or something. Would be most hard or difficult to market these days.

12. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

My skin is not particularly sensitive, but i do seem to have a problem every time I shave, with what seems to be ingrown hairs, but acts more like infected pimples? Is this a bacterial problem, that can be fixed with a alcohol based aftershave to cleanse and disinfect? Should I be using a more moistureizing aftershave like a milk or balm?

13. rickboone

rickboone Member

This is just me. Someone else may have something better. First thing I'd do is not shave for a little while if at all possible. Use Tend Skin to treat the problem. Then, when you do shave; proper prep and maybe just two passes. One if presentable enough. Just for couple of weeks until your face rids the problem. As far as an aftershave at that point--witch hazel only. Alcohol too drying and gels, etc have irritants that you may be reacting to. Also, some can clog pores which create pimples. An alum block is suggested as well.

14. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

Which is more "Drying" Alum Block or Alcohol?

15. rickboone

rickboone Member

I don't find the alum blocks drying. Alcohol is. Alums are an antiseptic naturally. Help prevent other problems.

16. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

Me? I like alcohol and methol. I like the burn after the shave. :cool:

17. noxar

noxar New Member

Thanks will, now I know what type is my after shave

18. TSOE2001

TSOE2001 New Member

Great post. I never thought about all these options. I'm going to try most of them just to see what works for me.

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. longhittersju

longhittersju New Member

Is it ok to use a balm or lotion as well as a talc block?

Once in a while I get what seems to be a clogged pore on my jawbone and/or neck that swells up and doesn't go away for a few weeks. Usually it ends up having a little infection in it and acts like an ingrown hair. Any idea what may be causing this and how I could prevent the unsightly blemishes?

20. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I'm going to assume you meant alum block, and yes that should be fine , many folks will rinse their face after the alum and before the balm or splash.

Have a look at these two videos from Mantic and see if they may help.

How to deal with ingrowns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJzk4QL6iME

Maintaining The Neck For Shaving
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K58bekTP3nY