Old Spice AS vs knockoffs

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by OS Mariner, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Bullterrier

Bullterrier Member

Just to explain-
    "Have a butchers" means "take a look" in Northern English language!
    Sorry for any confusion
    ;-)))))

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The original most of us are talking about is the vintage stuff, made in Shulton New Jersey. Proctor & Gamble screwed things up, when they bought Old Spice.
    I do hear the UK version is very close, in scent. I've yet to try it though.
    The stuff we get in the USA smells nothing like the vintage Old Spice.

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

oh wow...I never knew "Shulton" was/is a town.

4. Paul Turner

I tend to prefer the British way-"have a look". I mean, "take" a look sounds like there's a look and you take it away.

5. DaltonGang

Sorry, Shulton Company, in New Jersey.

Paul Turner likes this.
  6. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I have the current OS Classic from USA and the Indian OS Original, none of them smell like the Vintage OS but if I had to choose I prefer the scent of the American classic vs the Indian. Now if I would again have the vintage OS along with the Classic current OS they would both be in my rotation because the current OS Classic is " THAT GOOD" even when pinned to the Vintage Original OS, different in scent? yes, similar? yes, on par with quality wise scent vs the Vintage Original OS? HECK YES!

Buy the current Classic OS and don't even bother with the Indian one, pharmapacks have them dirt cheap big 6.7 oz bottles....

BigMike likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    We pay about the same price, but the American bottles only contain 125ml.
    I don't care for the plastic smell that leeches into the current OS, which is one reason to go with the Indian stuff. Another is Old Spice Lime (or Fresh Lime) is not available in the U.S.

8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Im Yet to catch on any sort of plastic scent being mixed with the cologne in any way... I pay here for 188ml bottle less than $6 http://www.pharmapacks.com/products.php?product=Old-Spice-Classic-After-Shave-6.37-oz#.VvUNknnmqUk

9. OS Mariner

OS Mariner Member

@PLANofMAN , would immediately pouring the new OS into vintage glass bottles make a difference in the plastic smell to you?

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yes. Decanting it into glass does improve it dramatically within a month. Most things are improved by a switch to glass.
    If you can't smell it, you can't smell it. Most people can't taste the difference between soda bottled in plastic vs. glass either. I happen to be one of those who can.

RyX likes this.
  11. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Once I finish with the India OS bottle which is glass I will pour the American OS in it to see if it makes any difference.

Someone mentioned the UK OS is similar to the Shulton one, where is the UK OS made? if you say its made in India then no it don't smell like the Shulton I have the Indian one and no dice, I even prefer the American classic over the Indian. As people say YMMV, and I do like the American classic scent

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You'll need a tiny funnel. I use the little brass ones from Amazon that are sold for doing cologne decants. When I bought them it was about $5 for a three pack.

13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

thanks dude, ill buy one when indian cologne is coming to an end

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Sorry to ask this here but does the TSD store have anything that smells like the original Old Spice?

15. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Don't know, but if you're looking for the same scent, get some Avon Spicy. It's a perfect replacement. It's vintage too, but very plentiful and cheap.

gorgo2 and ob1page like this.
  16. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Avon brisk spicy I've heard is even more like OS

gorgo2 and ob1page like this.
  17. DaltonGang

I have both Avon Spicy, and Brisk Spice. Both are very very close to Shulton Old Spice. The Brisk Spice is stronger smelling, harder to find, and more expensive(usually).

gorgo2, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Truth..
    image.jpeg

OS Mariner and ob1page like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Well, there it is about Gramps, right on the bottle!!!

20. Paul Turner

Sadly, that may be the result of companies that want to try new things, or compete with others who want to do that. ..things get screwed up.

Blangaz1 and ob1page like this.