Dog Toys

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DDuckyMark, Mar 24, 2016.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

My fiancee and I have just picked up an Emotional support animal today. She is a 1 year old lab/hound/american bulldog mix with loads of energy. The only problem is that we don't have the dog toys to wear her out and nowhere we can let her off lead to let her run around outside. I have planned on running with her some on my days off work but I don't think that will entertain and exercise her enough.

Right now she has a stuffed bone pillow and a tennis ball.

What dog toys have you used, made or found that held up well and kept your dog entertained inside? I'm just not sure what to get for her since its been o long since I've had a larger breed dog.

Ivy dog.jpg Lavender Dog-Dog.jpg

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Tennis ball. Chew bone. Bed. Water bowl. Food bowl. Leash and collar.

Everyone looks very happy!! Blessed.

3. ElectroMike

ElectroMike Active Member

Congrats on a new addition and enjoy!

To keep the dog busy, get a rubber Cong from a pet store, put some peanut butter inside and let the pooch go to town on it! Depends on the size and how deep the PB can be shoved in, it can keep the dog busy for good 30+ minutes.

6"-8" Antler pieces can also keep them busy. Any other "food" type of a play thing generally does not last long with larger breed dogs. For toys, every dog is different, you may try tennis balls, water bottles, various size toys with squeakers, let the dog tell you the favorite one!

To tire a puppy may take some time but if there is a dog park near you, I find that to be best, since the dog can run, sniff and play with other dogs, 30-45 a day at a park may tire the dog for hours.

RetLEO-07 and Tdmsu like this.
  4. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

this....although my current dog will not fetch, he still would chew on a tennis ball and flip it up in the air then pounce on it....keep lots of chew bones/raw hides.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  5. DDuckyMark

This dog has a futon, tennis ball, stuffed bone, round cake pans for food and a ceramic water dish. Hand braided lead and a lilac purple harness. She loves fetch vut we only have one place we can let her run and its the humane society dog park. I don't want to G too much since they use that to socialize their animals for adoption and they don't use it if someone else is in it. She seems to have some claustrophobia and I'm almost positive someone beat her when she was very young. She rides well in a car but will whine, pace and claw if you shut a room door. She also huddles to the floor if you raise your voice or make a fist where she can see it. Despite this she still has growled at people who walk up to us until we tell her that its ok. She will also growl at the same person everytime she sees them and we have to tell her every time that its ok and not to eat the neighbors. Its great for my fiancee and its helping her feel secure going out of the apartment despite her PTSD.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I think your new family member will be great for your finance and visa versa.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ARGH and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. Omelmad

9. Omelmad

If you can watch the video it shows my dog Playing with the ball. You put some candy in it and adjust the whole for the candy so it's a challenge but not to hard.

It will keep the dog busy a while and help her get a bit tired =)

The duration of the playing is tied to how tasty the treats are haha

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Paul Turner and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. DDuckyMark

I've looked at those. I was worried about how fast the dog would chew through it. It looks like you have a dog comparable in size to mine so I guess they last all right.

Omelmad and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Omelmad

She actually doesn't try and bite the toy. It took a few tries to get her to understand how it works, but she doesn't try and eat it. I think its made of material thats not easy to dig the teeth into.

Edit: I dont know how other dogs react to this ball, maybe your dog will tear through it. If you try it, I hope it works out well!

Plus we dont keep it out all the time, we bring it out and when she gets tired/tired of it and leaves it, we pick it up and put it away. There are different sized of the ball so one could pick the one he/she thinks suits their own dog. I think you should try it, its a fun way to activate the dog.

12. Omelmad

One thing you can try is to hide candy all over the house. Make it a challenge and then let the dog find them =) I do that sometime at home and during the summer I do it outside in a dog park.

The dog sits at the gate inside the dog park, and I go around and place candy here and there. Then I allow her to go find them. BELIEVE me, 1-2 rounds of that and your dog will be done =P especially when its hot outside. But if its to hot, either bring water or a spray bottle to help your dog to cool down. We dont want to hurt them =)

Edit: plus its free

13. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Kong with a milk bone wedged in.

Long hike/walks. You don't have to run a dog but a 30 minute or longer walk usually gets mine out of gas for a good while.

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice dog, Mark.

15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm not a pet guy, but I understand from friends that the best dog toy is a young boy with too much energy.

BTW, bonus points for daring to pair camo with a bold floral print. :rofl:

brit likes this.
  16. DDuckyMark

That's not the only small child. Jen has another son(7) and a daughter (10). If I can get mine I have 2 boys (6)(3).

17. richgem

Then, you re all set. :)

18. richgem

Nice looking beast... i wonder if he d give out the printer email for some doggie snacks.

Omelmad likes this.
  19. Omelmad

Thank you, she is beautiful.

She Would sell all of us for some sweets =P

Queen of Blades likes this.
  20. richgem

Hmmm.... that can be arranged. :signs136: