Feather blades durability

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Avi Doron, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Avi Doron

Avi Doron Member

To all that are experienced with Feather blades:
    1) How many good face shaves should I expect from Feather blade?
    2) How many good face + head shaves should I expect from Feather blade?
    3) Would it be better for newbies to replace blade before its time in order to reduce unnecessary friction?

Thanks in advanced,
    Avid.

2. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

Avid,
    First of all I see your a newbie! Welcome to the Den and good luck in this new adventure!
    I'm about half way thru a 100 pack of Feathers so I have some experience but everybody's beard is different so keep that in mind. I get 3 shaves with 1 blade but I can feel a bit of tugging on the 3rd one. I don't shave my head ( It fell out all on it's own! ) so I can't comment on that, once you have some experience shaving you'll get a feel on how often to change your blade. Take your time and do a search for the 30 day challenge on this site.

AGHisBBS, Fred Hill and Avi Doron like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Nobody can answer that question. Only your experience can. My beard is likely different from yours. I get at least three, three pass shaves with a Feather. You may or may not depending on a number of factors. Buy a few packs and use them; that's the only way to know.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I found that I liked two three pass shaves from feather blades. they could be used further, but I thought quality of shave was diminished.
    if your looking for longevity, I'd suggest you try persona labs. they seem to last much longer,ymmv, of course.
    oh and hello welcome to the shave den.

5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm going to try a Feather next in my Blackbird. I hope to get at least 10 shaves out of the blade.

AGHisBBS, Fred Hill and Avi Doron like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm still on my first pack of Feather blades. My favorite so far. In a Gillette 195 set at #4, my sweet spot, I get as many as 5 three pass shaves. I haven't pushed it passed that, but like Troy's experience they seem to keep cutting.
    I'm not a head shaver, on your own there.
    As to tossing a nearly used up blade, get you a 6 (or more) sided die to keep count of how many uses from the blade. I rotate a couple DE's and it's easy to keep track.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

7-10, before they go downhill fast, on Feather Blades. By 10, they are usually pretty unusable, for me, with a lot of tugging.
    If you want longevity and sharpness, I would go with the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows. I usually get 30 shaves out of each, before any tugging. At about 20, they very slowly degrade, in sharpness, but still they are smooth.

AGHisBBS and Avi Doron like this.
  8. Avi Doron

Avi Doron Member

In the second shave (face and head) I took I defenetly felt difference. Due to I'm just started to shave with DE razor, I wonder should I replace the blade already or continue with it. I'm not experience enough to distinguish dull razor from bad technique...

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

So change the blade and see if it's the blade or you!!

AGHisBBS and Avi Doron like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

What razor are you using? If it's adjustable, dial it down a notch. Also, make sure your lather is slick, not necessarily fluffy.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  11. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Why add more confusion to the issue, just change the blade. You can always put this blade back in if it's not causing the problem. There is a saying represented by "KISS" that applies here.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den, Avid!

I only use Feather DE blades. I get three two-pass shaves from each one. When I was learning to use a DE razor, I replaced the blade after two shaves. Blades are cheap, so I replace them before they degrade noticeably. YMMV. That's just how I do it.

Good luck!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    4 shaves from all of my blades, including Feather. First shave with the Feather is the roughest. 2-4, smooth. Some gents strop their new Feather blade on some denim before the first shave. It does work; I tried it. (Just "shave" some old jeans, both sides of the blade)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I have gone 3 two pass shaves with my go to blade, the Feather, but 2 and done is my normal, for a great effortless shave.YMMV

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

It Just So Happens: Today was my "SHAVING-TEST-DAY!" I shaved w/ a "Feather Blade", today...& 'honestly' made 4-passes, in 4 different directions. I under-layed my usual Shaving-Soap with "Shave Secret," on purpose, just to see if it would be 'contributory' to the "ULTIMATE-RESULT" I was seeking. I use HOT WATER. The "Feather Blade" I used was Feather's regular DE Blade, with the 'Blue-Feather' wrapper over the blade. I use my Gold, "Silver Star Razor," (Circa 49/50's) which is, in reality, in 'EXCELLENT' Condition. (Remember; THIS WAS A TEST of "SUPERIOR-SHAVING," if such a thing exists, for me, ONLY!) I let "Shave Secret" soak it's 'beard-softening-affect/effect' for about 45 minutes; before I went in; hoping for an 'ULTIMATE' Safety Razor Shave on a 72 year old face & wire'ly-beard! My technique today wasn't any different than usual; with the exception/acceptional addition of that "4TH-PASS," which I generally don't utilize. I used "Royal Copenhagen" as my after-Shave/Cologne; & applied it twice, while wet, to my face. 45 minutes later...., Yea..."This Old Man...," He Played 4; He surely want's to shave some more; with a knick knack Paddy-Whack, give that man a "FEATHER!" He'll shave in all kinds of weather! hah; hah, hah...., I LOVE IT, SO!:git:I "saved-the-blade" for my very NEXT-SHAVE! Whatever The Weather, I'll Use That "Feather;" & give-out the result's; no matter; WHATEVER! :bang:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Feather's are the only DE blade that I give 2 days. I like to use the Feather in a mild razor (like a vintage Gilette) for the first day and switch to a more aggressive razor (like my Ikon Tech) for the second day. YMMV.

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. vadimk

vadimk New Member

I also don't get very good longevity with Feather blades. First shave is a little harsh, second shave is great, but third shave starts to get tuggy. Makes it hard to get a consistent feeling with the razor--every day is different.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

Brilliant... I'm instituting the die method tomorrow.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  19. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

I have found that hand stropping the feather blade ( about 4 times each side) makes that first shave a lot smoother, as usual YMMV!

20. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

I would have tried this had I read your post two weeks ago. I often think Feathers are too sharp. But I thought I would try one in my Rocket HD. It is blade and razor perfection IMHO. Perfect shave now, from the first through the fifth and still going strong. I have a whole new appreciation for Feathers, because of this most perfect TTO razor. I find Feathers to be too sharp in my Red Tip Heavy. In that, the Astra is perfect.

PLANofMAN likes this.