Aristocrat, Sheraton, & Senator: Gillette's TTO Open Comb Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol neither would I.

AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep, its a Sheraton in disguise!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. Herm2502

I'll keep you in mind. It was sold by a member on TSN for $60. Couldn't resist.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I know the feeling.

AGHisBBS and Herm2502 like this.
  5. Jorvaljr

I would like a senator to go with my Sheraton .

AGHisBBS and Herm2502 like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If you are rich enough, anything's possible.
    [​IMG]

brit, AGHisBBS, DaveL and 2 others like this.
  7. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Great article Plan of Man I love information about Gillettes I think I've read everything about King Camp Gillette and Herm very cool razor, great photo

brit, AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    After a couple shaves with my Sheraton, I would class it as somewhere between a super speed and a red tip in aggressiveness. The shaving angle is very steep, with the handle almost parallel to the skin. On an adjustable, this might be rated at a 4, possibly a 5.

(Edit: this was with a Feather blade).

If you find a super speed too mild, and a red tip almost too aggressive, you ought to try one of these TTO OC designs.

Other shave reviews are welcome.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    brit, AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. Jorvaljr

I thought the same thing. A medium aggressive razor. With a personna blue it was medium i felt it more aggressive with an Astra sp

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I should have mentioned that my review was based on using a Feather blade. A smoother blade might tone the aggressiveness down a bit.

brit, AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  11. Herm2502

I need a gold plated Senator to go with my rhodium plated Sheraton. I'm so confused...

AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Here is my Sheraton. 1937 I believe.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

brit, Redfisher, macaronus and 6 others like this.
  13. Jorvaljr

I wonder if there is someone out there that can replate these gold sheratons in the same technique Gillette used vs just a gold replate. I'm diggin the orange gold look to it.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's easy enough, just use luthier's (solvent based nitrocellular) lacquer over the gold plate, then wait 50-70 years for it to change color (probably caused by exposure to UV rays. I had a NOS gold plated razor from 1947 that didn't show the orange pigmentation).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  15. Herm2502

I believe Chris at RazorPlate does just that. I believe he takes the razor back down to brass, next plates it in nickel, then plates in gold. I think he is meticulous about following Gillette's technique. But @PLANofMAN is right, it won't be orange.

brit, macaronus, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    ...and it wouldn't be Gillette's technique either. Not for these early models. Sheratons were just gold over brass. That's why so many of them are 90% brass.

Though to be honest, I wouldn't do a replate of one of these unless it was gold over nickel. It's much more durable. As the pristine condition of most Senator razors can testify.

I'm not a big fan of gold or chrome plated razors. Rhodium, stainless, and nickel are more to my taste.

Edit: the orange coloring could be added to the lacquer before application, if one wanted an immediate antiqued look.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    brit, AGHisBBS, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  17. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Active Member

I have a Senator that I enjoy in my rotation but have been searching for a OC Aristocrat because I have heard that the head design & shave are somewhat different than either the Senator or Sheraton........anyone have both? Do they differ enough to make much of change in the shaving experience????

PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

It looks like the price on these razors has been bumped up quite a bit online. Some are going for $400!

AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I assume you are talking about the OC Aristocrat? I wished I'd picked one up a few years ago when you could get them for $120 or so.
    The head design differs slightly between all three razors, at least until the Sheraton started being produced with the Senator design heads.

The heavier weight of the Aristocrat's handle will make the razor feel more aggressive, all other things being equal.
    There are two different head types for the OC Aristocrat and three for the Sheraton.

Bear with me for a moment while I update the original post.

Edit: ...and updated to include information on both Aristocrat head styles and all three Sheraton head styles.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  20. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

The guitar folks thought of that. They offer tinted nitro to match necks that have been around since the 50's:
    http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/fennecam.html

brit, tntsl and PLANofMAN like this.