The Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Jayaruh, Mar 26, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've got it in my signature now!

Jayaruh, Spyder, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I did the same...you inspired me Perry! :thanks:

Jayaruh, Spyder, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I want to jump in to this whole cold water shave thing, KINDA. I have read so many people's stories; I think it must be like being chosen by the Veg.. . I don't have any issues with my shave, but I LOVE a cold invigorating face freeze shave/soap/shower in the summertime. Not going to claim any rights to a signature badge, but I will be giving it the college try here, soon.

Caveat: I live in Northern MN, and honestly, when it has been below zero for months, even the concept of a cold shave... I swear I would grow a beard, and dry shave my clean up edges with a straight.

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

On the other hand, if you always use tap cold water, then you may not be deprived of luxury. Even bottled water would allow a normal shave experience.
    FWIW, I live in CO, and the water tap runs at around 34F in the dead of winter. Now that I am used to it, it doesn't occur to me to use warm water.

Jayaruh, Zykris, jimjo1031 and 4 others like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

Except honestly, I work outside year round, and some evenings I will stand in the shower and run my water heater dead cold just trying to warm my core when I get home. Even right now when it is a balmy 20 degree March evening, the thought of stripping out of my Carhaarts and having a cold shave about makes my berries shrivel. If I can't have steamy in January, you can call me Grizzly Adams.

SILKS, jimjo1031, brit and 5 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

I wear overalls daily too, know what you mean. Hot Bath, Cold shave after is the best for me.

jimjo1031, Rufus T., Spyder and 2 others like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Do it your way brother! Your shaves should be enjoyed your way... images.png

8. PickledNorthern

I am going to try it, but I'm just saying, I don't even like to use soaps that give a hint of cold in the winter. We'll see what happens, but I kind of see you guys like the dudes who do the polar plunges and jump into pools sawed through the ice in the winter. Not sure you aren't all a bit nuts.

Besides, I am a pretty hot dude with a beard. Just ask me.

jimjo1031, Spyder, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

I've just seen enough people tout it, that I have to give it a serious trial to make sure I'm not missing out on something.

10. Robyflexx

I would like to follow you on this as I'm sure the rest of us would. Will you post here? Maybe keep a log here or something. :)

11. PickledNorthern

Hell yeah. I kind of figured I would do at least a week of it, and then go from there. Here's the deal: When the ice comes off the smaller lakes, and I can at least get my kayak out to go crappie fishing, I will call it warm enough to man up and go for it.

12. Robyflexx

:happy036: This is going to be fun! I also love fishing BTW! Crappie make for some good pan fish! :happy088:

13. PickledNorthern

Kinda derailing, but what is a big crappie down south? Around here, I try not to keep anything under 8-10" or so, anything going into that foot to fifteen is killer. Sunfish we pretty much put that 7-8" minimum whenever we can.

I always wondered if they got bigger in the warm water.

14. Robyflexx

We have a 10" bag limit but length aside I know they get to two pounds here maybe bigger. :)

Spyder likes this.
  15. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

You both inspired me.

16. Robyflexx

Our group is growing! :happy036:

17. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I'm reading that a lot of people get significantly less irritation. Can anyone explain why this might be?

jimjo1031, Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Robyflexx

Warm or hot water makes the skin tender while cold water makes it taut, it also stiffens the whiskers making them easier to slice clean off. As always YMMV. :)

19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Click HERE for a link to an interesting article about cold shaving and what it purportedly does for your beard and skin. As Robert mentioned above YMMV. I found the info in this article pretty interesting!

20. Bama Samurai

I also believe exactly this. Cold inhibits inflammatory processes in the skin, preventing irritation from manifesting, and hardens the surface of the hair shaft.

jimjo1031, preidy, Joef and 4 others like this.