Sam Seong/CJB

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DDuckyMark, Apr 6, 2016.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have had the CJB for a little while now and just today I got in the Sam Seong so I decided to do a short comparison.

My first thoughts looking at these razors is that the finish quality is better on the CJB. I can see some machine marks on the Sam Seong and the edge where the blade edge is looks and feels a bit rough. The Sam Seong is slightly heavier, longer and wider from spine to edge.

Loading a blade is very injector like on these razors. The blade loader is a lot like the injector. instead of having a key it has a post and a shelf. the post fits into a hole at the tip of both razors and the "blade" of the shavette rests on the shelf. You then open the jaws in whichever way that razor works and slide the blade in just like injectors slide a blade in. The CJB has a spring and you pinch the spine to open it. The Sam Seong has a plastic clip that locks the blade open or closed. A spare clip was included in case of breakage.

The CJB has a solid shelf that the spine of the blade rests against where the Sam Seong has a few little posts that the spine of the blade rest on. If the blade gets a bit crooked going in then it hang on these. I'll know after a few weeks use if this becomes a problem.

The rubber on the handle of the Sam Seong is a softer rubber then the handle of the CJB. I'm expecting it to have a better grip. The handle is a tad longer as well but it doesn't affect the balance since the head is slightly heavier.

I'm really terrible at reviews so now I'll just throw up some photos and hope you can understand what I've written. If you want any pictures of any particular part of either razor I will do my best with my sadly lacking photography skills to capture what you want.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll add to this as I use the razors more.

Drygulch, Keithmax and NCoxSTL like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

So no spring inside the Sam Seong? Everything depends on the plastic clip? Am I understanding and seeing that right?

3. DDuckyMark

Yes the clip fits inside a track that is tapered. In the closed position the clip forces the "blade" of the razor tight against the actual blade. The tracks are tapered so they are deeper on one end. No spring. In the open position it is slightly more open then the CJB squeezed open and in the closed it is tighter then the spring on the CJB can make it. Its really difficult to move the little plastic clip into the full closed position. There is one longish screw holding the hinge together along with a brass pin. The clip just sits in there while you put the screw together. If you were worried about the durability of the plastic clip then I'm sure you could have one made out of metal for very cheap. I could probably make one in a day or two with a few machinist files and a chunk of steel. Its very simply made.

I can try to get better pictures if you would like.

NCoxSTL and gssixgun like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Now to show my complete ignorance :p Which is which ???

These both use Feather Blades right ???

NCoxSTL likes this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Definitely. I actually thought about buying one of those when my CJB spring broke. Finally decided to just go all in on the Feather SS. You've got me wanting to try one now. ENABLER!!! Let's see, that would be PSAD. Pain Stick Acquisition Disorder.

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sam Seong on the top, CJB on the bottom. Yes, both use Feather AC blades, or Kai and a few others. They are basically Feather AC clones with a few differences.

7. DDuckyMark

The shiniest one with the black handle is the Sam Seong and the matte finished one with the grey handle is the CJB. Yes, they both use Artist club blades.

8. DDuckyMark

Its so shiny I'm having trouble taking pictures. Lots of glare. It may take me a bit to get the right angle on it.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

No worries. It's nice to have shiny razors to mess up the picture!

10. DDuckyMark

[​IMG]

You can see the lack of spring, the clip in the track and the posts that I think might be a problem if you don't have the blade loader perfectly straight.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yeah, different system altogether. I kind of like the idea of no spring, as that seems to be the weak point in the CJB. However, the plastic tab bothers me for the same reason. As you mentioned earlier a metal clip seems like it would have been a better choice.

12. DDuckyMark

Here I have a few more close ups of both razors opened up with a blade laid in place to show where it sits better. A minute or 2 to upload them.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  13. DDuckyMark

The Sam Seong opened close up
    [​IMG]
    The Sam Seong opened up showing blade placement
    [​IMG]
    The CJB opened close up
    [​IMG]
    The CJB opened up showing blade placement.
    [​IMG]

gssixgun and NCoxSTL like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well I have to say I like the look of the CJB better but that's probably just an aesthetic thing. I do agree with you, though, that blade placement could be tricky with the posts as opposed to the solid edge. Some test shaves will help sort that out of course.

15. DDuckyMark

Until today I always hand loaded blades so It wouldn't have been a problem. I have the try a blade sampler blades that come in cardboard sleeves and didn't know you could load from the (for lack of a better word) injector. If it hangs up then I'll just hand load like I have for the last month and a half.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I tried injector loading both the CJB and the Feather SS. I just hand load because for me it works better anyway. Maybe a bit riskier to touch the blades like that but I'm ok with that.

17. DDuckyMark

I'm not sure how the Feather SS works but the Sam Seong seems easier to load with the injector because you don't need to squeeze the "jaws" open. The post things worry me but I'll find out if its an issue a few weeks after I start using it. 2 or 3 blade loads should let me know if I purposely angle the injector slightly trying to make it hang. I would test it now but I don't want to have a bunch of blades loose and floating around.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Loose AC blades floating around? What's the worst that could happen? :signs131: Yeah, that could be a very bad thing. LOL Looking forward to the reviews and I've still avoided Ebay.

19. DDuckyMark

The width of those posts is the difference in "blade" width between these razors. The Sam Seong is wider, and maybe 1/4 inch longer. The thickness of the spine is the same and the part of the jaws that grasp the blade seem thinner on the Sam Seong which should allow a shallower angle on some smaller blades like the Feather ProLight.

20. DDuckyMark

I'm thinking of doing a quick test shave with it before I set it down and finish my blade focus on the CJB. I'll get to try both the Dorco blades and the Sam S. razor. eBay isn't the only place to get them. I got mine from a Den member.

NCoxSTL likes this.