Any Pocket Knife Folks Here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have had a pocket knife since I was a young boy in Northeast Texas. I fondly remember the quite days when my Daddy and Grand Daddy taught me how to sharpen a knife using a small 3 1/2 inch whetstone. My every-day-carry is a Buck 301 (USA made). A great, old time knife with excellent stainless steel blades. I just finished sharpening it to "shave-the-hair" sharpness using a Dan's Soft Arkansas Whetstone. I use it from opening letters to whittling walking sticks. I have my Father's pocket knife which has to be 60 plus years old. It is a Craftsman which I believe was made by Case. It has a carbon steel based blade. While holding a great edge and easy to sharpen, it is prone to rust and staining (patina).

I have a number of other knives:

Case Trapper with Chrome Vanadium blades/Amber Bone handle
    Case Canoe with Chrome Vanadium blades/Amber Bone handle
    Case Medium Stockman with Chrome Vanadium blades/Red Bone handle
    Buck 371 (excellent fit and finish/China version of the Buck 301) with Stainless Steel blades/wood handle
    Buck 389 with Stainless Steel blades/wood handle

The Case Trapper and the Case Canoe are my Sunday going-to-church knifes. No whittling. They are very nice, quality knives.

Do you have/carry a pocket knife? Use for what? How do you sharpen?

I plan to teach my Granddaughter how to whittle, sharpen a knife, and play Mumblety-peg.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I carry a Swiss Army Tinker everywhere. I got my first one back in about '73. I am on my third one.
    tinker.jpg

Lancre, LSUfanBR, waffen and 5 others like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I also have carried some kind of knife since I was a young boy. In my job knife carry/use was common. I have a serious case of KAD(knife acquisition disorder):). My EDC since retirement is a Spyderco Chaparral.:)

wristwatchb, RyX, GatorJoe and 2 others like this.
  4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I carry a pocket knife daily. It's used for just about everything from cutting apples for lunch to boxes or most other chores. I pick up a new one every year or so and semi retire the old one so I have a box of them. My current knife is a SAK bantam that's going I three years now. It has the standard blade plus a bottle/can opener and a flat blade driver. It's paper thin so it disappears in a pocket and does not look dangerous so is socially acceptable. Great for opening electrical boxes and other chores. I keep trying to talk myself into a SAK farmer. Maybe for Christmas.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, RyX, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've been carrying one for decades. I have a leatherman now and have been carrying that around all over the place.

I once used it to cut a sheet of plywood that I couldn't fit in my car at a Home Depot parking lot.

Hey, you always have to be prepared.

wristwatchb, RyX, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  6. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

I carry my kellam hm10. I use it for absolutely everything I find an excuse to use it for :D I love a scandi grind

[​IMG]

macaronus, Enrico, Pilotcld and 8 others like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    For future reference, I think Home Depot will cut it to any size you need with a wall saw.

My EDC is a Swiss army classic in the pocket, and a Kershaw Leek clipped to the pocket.

45auto, wristwatchb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I always have a #6 Opinel in my pocket.

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I loaded up the van that day with about a dozen sheets of plywood and I was down to the last one and just couldn't get it to fit. If I recall correctly, I was in a pretty foul mood that day. I was buying material for a home improvement project that was going bad. That leatherman made me feel much better as I got out all of my aggressions. It was good for the soul!

Avalon, waffen, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I EDC my ESEE Izula. I have several folding pocket knives but prefer a fixed blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RaZorBurn123, 45auto, waffen and 7 others like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've been carriying a SOG fielder for the last few weeks. It seems to be a nice knife.

12. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Very similar to my Victorinox Swiss Army Soldier, but maybe thinner based on your description. Nice knife.

13. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

My latest carry is a Leatherman Wingman. Before that was a Kershaw Cryo.[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

My Spyderco has been clipped on my pocket for the last 15+ years!

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

15. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I can't carry a pocket knife into work but they give me these as often as I ask for them.
    43442_s7.jpg

When I'm not working I have a leatherman wingman or a kershaw leek. I have a box full so sometimes its different but those are my most day knifes.

16. GatorJoe

I've got a larger collection of pocket knives than razors: Case, Victorinox, Benchmade, Buck, Gerber, Al Mar, Spyderco, maybe some others I can't recall. But I carry my 15 or so year old Spyderco Dragonfly most of the time. Pre-911 I used to carry it in my pocket on flights. Those days are gone.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Have a Case sowbelly in my pocket as I type.

I've always carried a pocket knife. Carried a Camillus stockman for the longest time.
    'Bout two, two and a half years ago I was down in the basement and came across the Kutmaster stockman my Grampy gave me when I was 9; that was back in '71. Since finding shaving items in the wild has become darn near nonexistent, Gramp's knife sparked the fire of a new hobby.
    Since then I've picked up a few more, giving 22 in my collection.
    The majority of those are stockmans; I like the blade options. For me, the Case medium stockman is the perfect size.
    Case is the brand I have the most of.
    I have a 10 Dot and a 9 Dot Case stockman.
    Found an MOP Case pen knife at an antique store that I couldn't pass up - $8. Value is $70, give or take.
    A matching pair of Queens get their share of pocket time - a stockman and a gunstock jack. Absolutely gorgeous bone.

CV or stainless? For me, if the knife is from a reputable maker, I don't care.

As for sharpening, I'm working on my skills on the Smith's tri-stone. That's how my Grampy did it, that's how I want to do it. Boy, could he get an edge. My brothers and I would let him cut our fingernails with his pocket knife. Wish I could have spent more time with him, but, alsas, being an Air Force brat only gave me that one year with him. I cherish the memories.

Carrying a fixed blade is not an option since I work in a school and need something discreet. And the single blade tacticals just don't do it for me, but that's me.

18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like this one!

image.jpeg

wristwatchb, waffen, Paul6506 and 3 others like this.
  19. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Have always carried a pocket knife since I was a boy as well, have a small Gerber now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. GatorJoe

Kershaws are nice knives. One year for Christmas I gave my sons and my son-in-law Kershaw Chive knives. It was the second time I gave that knife to my son who loves it, uses it daily, but seems to keep losing them. Lost the 2nd one too and texted me sadly about it.