Lady Gillette vs Flare Tip SS or Tech or Slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmarlow, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jmarlow

jmarlow Active Member

Hi All,

Just talked my wife into giving shaving with a DE a try. I'd like to get her a Lady Gillette of her own, but also thought that possibly she might could get a feel for it by using one of mine before we invest. I know that there are some variances, even within the same family of razors, but... Can anyone tell me, which of the following, might be closest compared to a Lady Gillette in terms of how they shave?

• Flare Tip SS (1954)
    • Tech*
    • Slim Adjustable (1961)
    *I'm at work on break at the moment, but can look up the date codes to let you know what the tech is as well if need be, once I get home.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info.

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I don't know how it compares but my wife loves her Fat Handle Tech.

3. jmarlow

jmarlow Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Hoping my wife will love DE shaving as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

With the Slim you can adjust it to shave like the Lady.
    I'd say 5 +/- 1.

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I too will suggest going with the slim. Set it no higher than a 3 and that might give her a good indication of how a Lady Gillette will shave.

BeShaved and jmarlow like this.
  6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I agree...set the slim low and give it a go.

She can watch videos on youtube of ladies DE shaving. The pressure is the big difference, as well as maintaining a good cutting angle.

I hope it works out. If she gets onboard, you'll be on lucky dude.

BeShaved, jmarlow and DaltonGang like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Keep in mind that she might like the slim so much that you might end up having to buy another slim for yourself.
    :)

jmarlow likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yup, a Slim set on 5. My wife loves her Gillette Starburst. I have two in her rotation, one is always in reserve, cleaned, and loaded with a new blade. That way she doesn't have to put up with a dull blade.

jmarlow likes this.
  9. jmarlow

jmarlow Active Member

Her wanting my slim is the main part that concerns me about her trying it out. Lol.

Jim99 likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Should she choose your Slim, then you might consider a FatBoy?

11. jmarlow

jmarlow Active Member

Would love a FatBoy, but finding a good one in my current price range might be a little tough. Lol.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Aside from the Bay, try Etsy.

jmarlow likes this.
  13. jmarlow

jmarlow Active Member

Will definitely give those a look.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. jmarlow

jmarlow Active Member

Also, thanks everyone for the feedback.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Flea markets. antique & thrift stores. I've purchased three decent user grade units; Two for $12.00 each, another for a five dollar bill. Make the rounds and visit everyone. Ask questions of the vendors. Leave your phone number for folks to call if they come across something later. Then make the rounds again a month later.

jmarlow likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm not sure why everyone recommended the Slim. The 1954 flare tip uses the exact same head as the Lady Gillette. The only difference is the handle. Wouldn't it make more sense to use that?

jmarlow likes this.
  17. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

If you need something just ask I'm starting to run out of room

twhite and jmarlow like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My wife told me how she used to sneak and use her dad's DE razors when she was younger.

jmarlow and Robyflexx like this.
  19. jmarlow

jmarlow Active Member

Thanks again for all of the advice and help everyone! Think I just had my problems solved however. Happened to be doing a little bit of work at a flea market this morning, and spotted a small tote, with a Lady Gillette visible. Looked a little deeper in the tote to find a Slim and a 40's style SS in there as well. There were some Dollar General brand blades and and old electric razor as well, but not nearly as pumped about the other items. LOL. I hollered and asked the owner if the price (was super cheap) that was on the tote was for everything in it too, and it was. On top of that, she told me that it was 1/2 off. So I said, "I'll take it!" :)

Now, to try to contain my excitement through the rest of my day, until I can get them home and clean them up. They seem to be in good shape, but need to be polished and cleaned. I'll try to get some before and after pics posted when I can. Next few weeks are going to be crazy with work, which includes some travel and a shift change once I return. Yippee!

Linuxguile, Jim99, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  20. jmarlow

jmarlow Active Member

Well, at the moment I'm not real sure to be honest. From what I've been watching on eBay, they're definitely selling for a good chunk (to me anyway) right now. Which is a little more than I can justify currently for a good shave. Not that I wouldn't love to have one in my collection one day, just not quite ready at the moment. Thanks for reaching out though.

Robyflexx likes this.