Favorite Brushes and Why...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Skinny Rogers, Feb 28, 2016.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Two-Band Finest. Almost as soft as a Silvertip, but with much better backbone.

Another good choice might be one of the Simpson's Duke line of brushes in 'Best.' Their Best is equivalent to most other manufacturer's Silvertips. The Duke line are over-stuffed brushes, with dense knots. That gives them more backbone than a normal silvertip.

A high quality boar will be pretty soft as well if you soak it before shaving, but still retain a good amount of backbone. Check out Omega or Semogue.

...or you can stick with Synthetics. Certainly the cheaper option. If you are happy with them, I don't see any reason to pressure you to start trying other types. That can be an expensive rabbit hole.

2. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Not the gentleman you asked, but...
    I recently purchased the Maggard 24mm synthetic. Backbone is great, IMO, and nice and soft.
    I also recently received a brush with an Ubersoft knot. This knot, IMO, has the density, particularly when used to face lather, that makes it feel very much like some of my favorite badgers. Nice and soft, as well.
    If you prefer synthetics, those two are good bets to try.

White731 and TheManWithNoName like this.
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Got these boar, badger and synthetic expecting my first horse hair brush any day now. Epsilon large knot by Vie-long fan top.
    image.jpeg

4. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation, Mike. It's much appreciated. :)

5. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I have not splurged on a really good badger so I can't compare it to anything I have but right now it's hard to beat that razorock monster synthetic

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've owned the Stirling Kong and I didn't like it. 26mm is just too big of a brush for me. I sold it, and then had to pick up a RazoRock 26mm for my fiancée. Apparently 24 is not the best size for legs. :)

brit, White731 and Robyflexx like this.
  7. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

This Panta Rei in black Manchurian badger is huge and decadent:
    [​IMG]

But this Brushcraft HMW is mt current favorite.
    [​IMG]

My all time favorite was this good old Plymouth ( with the red handle) with a TGN silver tip knot, but I allowed a Plymouth collector to talk me out of it. My eternal bad.
    [​IMG]

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Mike, the Plymouth was stunning. I can understand your regret in letting that one go.

Robyflexx and entropy1049 like this.
  9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Anything with a 22-24 mm 2band finest. Currently my favorite brush is a rare prototype Zamboolie wood handled brush from New Forest with a TGN 2 band knot.
    [​IMG]

10. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

This little restore is my favorite brush at the moment. Comfortable handle and the two band is a wonderful face lathering brush.

[​IMG]

11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The Vie Long Epsilon Model GC13900/3 horsehair shaving brush is my fave. The tips of the knot are super soft, yet the brush has plenty of backbone. It lathers creams and soaps like crazy, and lathers in a mug or using face lathering very well indeed. For me, it is a one brush does it all kind of thing. Not only that, but it only costs about $40.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

You know I own two beautiful horses can I make my own brush

whiteboy_cannon and PLANofMAN like this.
  13. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Ok well I haven't really had any contribution to this thread so I'll start this morning.

I'm going to list my travel brushes first.

[​IMG]

These are the 3 that I really enjoy that suit my tastes.

Ch2 synthetic

Bufflehead Buddha

WD

They range in size from about 28.5mm to almost 32mm.

Great backbone for face lathering.

Chubby style handles.

I need to get down to one as that's really all I need but they are all so enjoyable.

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

The last one on the right is by far my favorite, they're all lovely though Lance. :love055::love055::love055:

15. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Sweet set! What's that brush next to the Ever-Ready? I really like the knot and handle shape.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Thanks Rob!

You know the WD is quite possibly my favorite of the bunch. It has gotten the most travel time and face time of the 3.

When I ordered that one from Larry all I told him was 30mm synthetic with whatever color handle compliments the fiber.

I also told him to set at the loft he felt was the best as he knows the knots better than I do.

He def delivered. The burgundy handle matches the tips of the fibers.

Very cool brush.

Excellent value for the money.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yes. You should probably go with a mix of mane and tail hair.

whiteboy_cannon and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre L for me ... ideal trade off between size, softness, and scrub.

19. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

That is my wolf whiskers brush with a 2-band badger fan shape knot. I believe the gandle shape is called the Juliet. Fantastic craftsmanship.

Jasman likes this.
  20. lance3114

lance3114 Member

A semogue 12- something, IRS my favorite because... It's the only one I have. Figured I would try a boar first and once it broke in I'm pretty pleased and never felt the need for anything more. Wanting to try a synthetic now though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.