Aristocrat, Sheraton, & Senator: Gillette's TTO Open Comb Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Mar 25, 2016.

1. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

That's the one I'll be looking for. Thanks for the info, I'm not well versed in the vintage game

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

image.jpeg
    Not at all, since November or so I've been on a injector/ repeating razor thing with other SE razors tossed into the mix. I'm probably going to go back to my very nice vintage DE razors for a time now just to enjoy the difference and .....well gee some of these old ones are frickin nice!

brit, Douglas Carey, Herm2502 and 5 others like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

That razor is beautiful!

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and Redfisher like this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I would agree but I am biased. Some of the British razors are as fine as they come really. The #15 Aristocrat is one of the best examples of real craftsmanship. I would have to look at the actual date but the big war had just ended.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Those Aristocrats are one sweet shave. Not real aggressive, nice and comfortable IMHO.

AGHisBBS, Jorvaljr and Robyflexx like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I completely forgot about the Gillette Executive. In 1958 and 1960, the Gillette Executive was a gold plated Fatboy.
    [​IMG]

brit, Douglas Carey, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  7. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

That's the one. I'll be hunting for it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. lesfield

lesfield New Member

The executive is like the Fatboy but I has a similar knurling to the Slim, and is set (mine is) more aggressive than the Fatboy.

Here's my original 1958 D3.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I see it now. I wondered why people said it had different knurling. It's not cross hatched like the Fatboy. Beautiful razor.

Douglas Carey and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. lesfield

lesfield New Member

Here's my executive / fatboy & slim for comparison.
    [​IMG]

Instagram: close.shave

11. lesfield

lesfield New Member

The knurling is deeper than the slim and is much better then both. The added aggression is also nice.... For me it's the best adjustable you can buy. Much better then my Futur.

Instagram: close.shave

12. Herm2502

Yep, but it's not quite exactly a Fat Boy, the knurling is slightly different. Here's my D3 disassembled and worked on my Cap'n Murphy and replated by RazorPlate:
    4-28-15.JPG

brit, PLANofMAN, Redfisher and 5 others like this.
  13. Herm2502

I was in Columbus, Ohio yesterday for a seminar. On the way back I stopped at an antique shop and low and behold there was a nice little 1937 Sheraton waiting for me. $20 (it was on sale) and it cleaned up nice. Not sure why the doors are "frosted" rather than shiny, but I like the look!

Here's before, there was quite a bit of green vertigre (sp?).
    Before 1.jpg

And here is all cleaned up

Sheraton1.jpg Sheraton3.jpg Sheraton4.jpg

brit, AGHisBBS, Douglas Carey and 8 others like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's because you are either down to bare brass, or the lacquer on the doors is completely gone. From the photos, I would say that you are down to bare brass.

Still a fantastic find for $20!

brit, AGHisBBS, Douglas Carey and 5 others like this.
  15. Herm2502

I think you're right. The darker lacquer it's obvious on the handle, but the doors are much lighter color.

brit, AGHisBBS, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Sweet find, Herm!

brit, AGHisBBS, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  17. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

I'm looking into getting a vintage Gillette. Probably a slim adjustable or a fatboy. More than likely the slim. What are you guy's thoughts?

Redfisher, PLANofMAN and macaronus like this.
  18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Only one thought: go for it! You can't go wrong with either. So, on second thought: go for both! ;)

Herm2502 likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I love how Shave Den threads always seem to wander off topic, usually in interesting ways.

You can't go wrong with either one. I personally like the Fatboy better than the Slim, as I feel it has better balance. If you prefer longer handled razors, you'll probably prefer the Slim. Both are excellent razors and warrant a place in any shaver's den. I prefer other razors, but have both and still occasionally shave with them. My black handled super adjustable, I gave away to my future brother-in-law. He deserved better than a super speed, but not quite up to the level of making me part with my Slim or Fatboy.

brit, AGHisBBS, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  20. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Both are capable. Preference between he two vary with fans on either side. The Slim can be bought for less on today's market showing hig values for Fat Boys.

brit and Douglas Carey like this.