Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's how I do it.

ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  2. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I just made the pso, 4 tablespoons grape seed oil, 2 tablespoons castor oil and 5 drops of peppermint essential oil. I figure if it needs more peppermint I can always add more. Smells great, I will be using this today for my shave.

Hodge, TheManWithNoName and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Super!! Please let us know how it goes.

4. ob1page

Fantastic! This was my third ever shave with a DE and by far the best. I added 5 more drops of peppermint, loved the smell. It was a little warm on the face but felt great, not at all greasy. The razor just glided across my face, absolutely no irritation or cuts with three passes. This stuff is amazing!

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am so glad you got a good result.

6. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

I make my own and use Grape seed oil, castor oil and glycerin. I also use Lavender essential oil for scent. Works great for me.

Robyflexx, Douglas Carey and ob1page like this.
  7. aqualung

aqualung Active Member

Too many pages to go through but my wife uses a really good coconut oil on her skin. Does anyone have any experience using that as a preshave. I imagine the downfall is that you will stink like the beach afterwards.

Terry Williams and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I haven't tried it as a stand-alone but i have a Dollar General Vitamin E oil that contains coconut oil and soybean oil. I use it as a pre shave and it works wonderfully. I have read many articles on the internet stating the benefits of coconut oil for skin. :)

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

When I reach for a pre-shave oil, its Sara's famous fabulous recipe.

10. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

Grape see oil, castor oil and glycerine. You can also add a little olive oil also. I add essential oils (your choice) for scent. Works great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

11. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

It only stinks if you don't like the smell of coconut. But, I am just reminded of Coppertone Suntan Oil from back in the day.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Love this stuff. My only difference from @Sara-s' recipe that that I use both grapeseed oil and olive oil and a little less castor oil. Along with lavender essential oil from the grocery. Works perfectly.

FYI, not all olive oil is the same. If you use something that is made outside of the U.S. there is no guarantee that it is 100% olive oil. Most store brands or oil manufactured for export in Italy or Greece contain canola oil (not that that is bad, just not all olive oil). It's so that the oil doesn't burn as easily in cooking. So, I get oil made here in California. A little more expensive, but it's 100% olive oil.

Robyflexx and ob1page like this.
  13. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I do one part baby oil to two parts castor oil.
    Castor oil is good at making slippery surfaces. Dirt cheap at any drug store or large health and beauty aid departments.

14. ob1page

I make mine with 2 parts grapeseed oil to 1 part castor oil. I then add some essential oil for a nice scent. Be careful with essential oils, some will negatively affect your skin. Also the strengths are different. In my 3 oz bottle, 10 drops of peppermint oil are plenty but it took 30-40 drops of grapefruit oil to mask the oil scent. Add slowly and experiment.

As for how I use it, I wet my face and apply a nickel sized portion and rub it in. I let it sit while I'm building my lather. When ready, I wet my face again and lather. In between passes I wet my face but don't reapply the pre-shave oil, it is still there, I can smell the essential oils. Good luck!

Hodge and Robyflexx like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

16. aqualung

aqualung Active Member

Worked out great. Made mine with 1 pt Castor Oil, 2 parts EVOO and several drops of Lavender oil.

ob1page, Sara-s and Robyflexx like this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also plan on making my own PSO soon as I am running out of what I have and don't want to spend all that money on something I can make for a lot less. I have seen on here about people trying to decide on what container to use. This is what I'll be using, empty e-liquid bottles that I saved up. Just clean them up, which ever way you want. I just put them in hot water with Dawn dish soap and shake them up, rinse and let dry. You can also buy them cheap at vape shops or online in different sizes. These are 15ml (1/2oz) and are convenient when travelling. Also good for trying out small batches of PSO to see what you like better, or just having a variety selection to use. Use a funnel to put the PSO in them. it'll be easier. There are different types of tips, but these should be just about right for squeezing some into your palm. Just an idea........ IMG_0502.JPG

ob1page likes this.
  18. jimjo1031

I posted the following on another thread, but forgot about this one......
    So, I finally got my supplies to make my own Pre Shave Oil, and just in time because I ran out the other day and really felt the difference without it. I saw many recipes using a ratio of 2:1 or 1:1 Castor Oil to Grapeseed or Olive Oil, but wanted to keep it on the thin side and not too thick. This is how I mixed it: One cup Grapeseed Oil, 1/2 cup Castor Oil, two tablespoons Vitamin E oil, one tablespoon Glycerine and about 25 drops of Sweet Orange essential oil. Worked out really nice without feeling too oily or greasy with a nice orange citrus smell that went together well with the DIY shave soap I made.

RyX, ob1page and Sara-s like this.
  19. atbcrash

atbcrash Member

I want to try this out. I have all the ingredients to make the oil. Does it matter how much essential oil I use. Will more affect the way it works?

ob1page and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. jimjo1031

you don't want to use too much essential oil. just try using the amount I did and just see how it smells after it's all mixed. if it needs more, just do a little at a time. I just went by how strong it smelled, I did a batch with more in it cause I like orange.