My initial thoughts on the ATT razor/R 1 baseplate

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spud, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Hello all.
    I don't usually write reviews on here, as I think the YMMV factor is so important that anything we write is usually subjective. When I do write, it's the "Coles Notes" edition.
    I used my Above The Tie Atlas razor with the R1(closed comb) baseplate this morning. I also have a H1(more aggressive) but since this was my first time shaving with the system, I have no idea what that shaves like.
    On Monday I nicked myself badly with a Wilkinson Sword blade and I'm still healing so after reading about how aggressive the ATT can be, I was nervous. In fact, before even trying the razor I had myself convinced I was going to be sending the H1 back in exchange for a M1. Most bloggers were saying the R1 was so much more aggressive than the Merkur HD, etc.
    I put this razor to my face and it was like handling a surgical instrument. It's difficult to explain but it just feels so precise; the machining is just so perfect. I don't understand "tight tolerance" or anything like that when it comes to stainless steel but this thing feels so precise. If it were sharper, I could take a gallbladder out with it.
    The shave was very nice; not as aggressive as I expected, almost perfect in fact. My neck is always tricky but I did three passes with only a bit of redness and superficial weepers on one side. I'm thinking that could just be inexperience with the razor. BTW I used a brand new Astra SP blade; my go to. I used Proraso White pre shave cream and the Green shaving soap.
    I honestly don't think I ever got that close on my jawline with no irritation. Also, I didn't open up the existing nicks.
    All in all I like this razor. Not near as aggressive as I expected. I'm already thinking the M1 plate might be too mild. I'll try the H1 in a few day after I break the Astra in with a couple more shaves with the R1.
    Anyway like I said, these things are subjective but I think my ATT Atlas will be one of my main razors. I could tell you about the knurling and how beautiful the razor looks but there's lots of videos and photos on the internet for that, although when I held it in my hand for the first time, I understood what everyone was talking about. Thanks for reading.
    Jeremy

kdkelly, 45auto, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nicely done Jeremy! ATT is top notch gear!!

Bill G and Spud like this.
  3. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Nice review Jeremy...sounds like a precision instrument. Look forward to your updates...

4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Great review. Have you tried any other high end razors?

Spud likes this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great review Jeremy.

Spud likes this.
  6. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

No I haven't. The ATT is the most expensive razor I've never purchased. I did buy a Barbaros TR1 from Turkey. It was $160.00 US. It's a nice stainless steel razor but much more mild than I was expecting. My other razors (# 17 of them) are vintage Gillette or the Merkur, Muhle $40.00 - 70. CDN range. I'm in the dog house for this one! With the extra base plate it was $258.00 US. I had to promise, no more major spending on razors!! I'm not even ordering the Voskhod blades I want until things blow over.
    How about you? What's your take on the more expensive high end razors? Are they worth the extra money? So far I'm thinking this Atlas is going to be worth it.

Hodge, Robyflexx and Jorvaljr like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Jeremy, thank you for such a wonderful review and for taking the time to do so. I'm very happy the razor worked so well for you and that you're pleased with your purchase. :)

8. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I would certainly like for some comments about the modern stainless razors. Now that @Spud has given the green light in his thread. I would love to get into the stainless game, but not sure where. What I would like to here is comparisons to vintage since that is all I know. And I like Jeremy will be in big trouble when the deal goes down. Seems ATT has them to sale. Nice review Jeremy

Spud, clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Thanks. I expected stainless steel to not be as pleasing to the eye as chrome but I was surprised, as the satin-like finish is quite nice. I think once I get it dialed in, it's going to perform very well for me.

Bill G, Sevenbark and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Precision is the operative word here. This razor is the poster for precision. Everything is so "exact " if you will.
    When I looked at the blade sticking out I thought it would be to aggressive for me but it doesn't feel that way. Usually with any new razor I'm marked up quite a bit until I get used to it but I had a very good shave for my first attempt. I'm optimistic this will be a great razor for me.

Rusty blade, Sevenbark and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

@Spud Jeremy the satin finish looks very elegant. :)

Spud likes this.
  12. navy mac

navy mac Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100% but when I tried the m1 plate I was actually surprised at how clean it was. I use both but usually the m1 when I have a rough shave the day before from either trying a new blade or razor. Great piece of gear you have keep up the great shaves

Sevenbark, Spud and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I own a Pils and a Mongoose and although I like them, it is difficult to justify the cost. They are manufacturing marvels and precisely hold a blade though, thats for sure. I wish there was a way for us to try these high end razors before dropping a bunch of dough....kinda like demo clubs at the pro shop:D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Sevenbark, clint64 and Spud like this.
  14. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Like when you go into a store and there are samples on the shelf with a "try me " sticker on them. A disadvantage with online shopping is you can't see any of this stuff until it arrives.

Sevenbark and clint64 like this.
  15. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

I used an R1 for over a year as my GOTO DE. Beat everything that I used.
    Smooth and efficient. This is truly a different category from the vintage DEs ( that I have tried)....

Fast forward... it was supplanted after a year + by the Wolfman WR1SB.
    Made by a local chap here. Smoother and more efficient for me.
    The attention to detail and finishing craftmanship was the bonus along with supporting a local guy.

It ruled supreme without contest (for another year) until I discovered injectors.... that is another story....

Sevenbark and Spud like this.
  16. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I shaved with the H1 plate tonight. It was far more aggressive for me. I will give it another try but I doubt I will be keeping it. The R1 will be a keeper though.

clint64 likes this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Since you like the R1, you might consider exchanging the H1 for the R2. Of all the ATT plates I have tested, the R2 was my favorite but then again I do prefer OC razors.

Spud likes this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm an ATT fan boy too. The slant did not k for me but I enjoy the H1 H2 R1 and R2 plates.

Spud likes this.
  19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I was thinking either the R1 or the M2. The M might be too mild though. Do you find much difference between the R1 and the R 2? I wouldn't mind trying an open comb.

20. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

What was it about the slant you didn't like?

Sevenbark likes this.