Does anyone use ordinary bar soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by white_feather, May 29, 2013.

1. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

At this point, most soaps are really detergent with some sudsing agent in them, (because people won't use them if they don't have suds.) Because they aren't soap, soap; they may not make lather like we prefer. That said, if it works, go ahead. "It's your shave. Use the soap your way."
    (The "It's your shave…" slogan is copyrighted by @swarden43 Ltd. Used with permission.)

2. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

I recently compared ingredients on a bar of Palmolive Classic bath soap to the Palmolive shave stick. Its about 75% the same. I tried lathering the bath soap with a brush. The lather wasn't bad...didn't feel slick though. In a pinch I wouldn't be afraid to try it with a cartridge razor.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Sure in a pinch I've done it when traveling. Just would not work for me on a regular basis. Hey I'm not insulted just my 2 cents worth. Besides. As always in this business. YMMV (and if it feels good do it). Cheers.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I usually use creams or soft soaps. Any recommendations ?. I tried van der Hagen once and it was not for me

5. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

It works Ok at least for me in a pinch. The key is to use more product. Dial is the one I've used and as long as you work it into a thick froth it'll do the job OK. Admittedly it's not Tabac but it will work.

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I will not use bar soap for shaving. Way too many great shaving soaps out there. I do use bar soap in the shower though.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Mike I'm a Stirling (4) and Route 66 (1) guy. I don't have alot of soaps just stick to my tried and true.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've used bath soap (bar soap) way back in the day. Only because I hadn't shaved at home and had to clean up before roll call.

9. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

GatorJoe likes this.
  10. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I hear ya. I stick with nivea ( German) or Speik

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  12. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I used motel soap Friday night, with a Polsilver in my black Contract. Worked just fine.

Bama Samurai and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462152431.282450.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

If you think regular bar soap worked just fine I have to ask what shave soap have you used in the past to compare it to?

15. '65 G-Slim

Williams.

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Likewise.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Explains everything.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  18. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

What are your tried and true ? Always looking for new stuff to try. I use St James mandarin and patchouli, Speik, or Nivea , Dreadnought vanguard synthetic, and my own machined titanium safety razor of my design.

ninjack likes this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm not a soap connoisseur like alot of folks here. I like Stirling due to it's slicklness and will use it until gone, and then buy a replacement. I did try the Route 66 due to the hype here and really like it. I currrently use R66 Barbershop. Stirling Barbershop, Gin and Tonic, Sharp Dressed Man and Bay Rum. Sharp Dressed Man is my favorite. I will proably find a replacement for the Bay Rum when it's gone.

20. '65 G-Slim

Ivory Soap works well, too. But, I reckon it's one of those things you have to try enough of to get it to work right. Irish Spring has a more pleasant aroma, though. Smoother than Lava, too.