Old Spice AS vs knockoffs

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by OS Mariner, Mar 12, 2016.

1. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

It is. Spicy is the 95% solution, and Brisk Spice is the 99% solution.

2. Blangaz1

Blangaz1 New Member

Good afternoon fellas,
    I've only tried the current P&G OS and yes there's a similarity to the vintage Shulton but nowhere near as close to the Rubicon version made in India.
    Any slight difference between Indian and vintage may be put down to a slight degrading over the years.
    I've yet to try Avon Spicy. Looked on the bay but no joy as yet.
    The Indian OS Lime is ok. Can't compare to original Shulton version as have not had the pleasure.
    Just wish they'd bring back Burley.

Regards

3. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

I prefer the Family Dollar version. To me it is stronger than O/S. The longevity is about the same. For the price difference I will stick with FD.

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. Blangaz1

Blangaz1 New Member

I live in the UK so it's not available here. Can't find Family Dollar version on the bay either but I'll keep looking. I hear good reports.

5. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Most of my life I wasn't big fragrance nut, but one of the few I like best is Old Spice. It's the fragrance theme I picked to build my first old-school shaving kit around and is my "most days" scent that I like.

I can't believe I didn't find this interest sooner, but my Dad was not old school on shaving. I guess it just struck a chord with me and now I really like all this vintage shaving stuff. I intend to explore old fragrances I've never tried like Hai Karate or some of the odd English Leather scents. It's my duty as a man to find the ultimate shaving smells of manly history and report back my opinions to the shaving den.

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Tim there are many great old scents out there and I tried many of them back in the day. Keep us posted on your shaving smells.
    ;)

7. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

You haven't experienced anything until you can get your hands on some Braggi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

8. Blangaz1

Blangaz1 New Member

Love the old school stuff myself, veering more to the deep, rich, tobacco, woodsy, leathery scents.
    I've not tried these two yet but read good reports: Burberry London and John Varvatos Vintage.
    Looking for as close as damn it to the long discontinued Old Spice Burley, which is my all time favourite real bloke scent.
    And remember there's nowt wrong with the old school..... cos old's cool.

Sorry but I make no apologies for that.

gorgo2 and Paul Turner like this.
  9. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Old school will never go out of style

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Paul Turner and rustypixel like this.
  10. Blangaz1

Blangaz1 New Member

Defo mate! I've even noticed younger lads buying old school frags. Yep, the kids won't be fooled.

11. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Actually I do have an Avon AS that to me is a dead ringer for Shulton original Old Spice. It will be in the SOTD tomorrow, it's Vintage Avon Trazarra 1978 AS. I originally got it because the bottle looked cool.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. Woohog1

Woohog1 Member

I picked up a new bottle of OS today, for my Sunday Shave, and while I had a whiff of something similiar, it was for sure not the same.
    I have about 3/4 of a bottle of the "real" thing, both the as and the cologne. Back when they were still in the porcelain bottle. I'll pick them up next time I make it back to Orlando to see the folks.
    OS and brut are all dad used for years, so it just seems right to me.
    Plus the wife seems to like it as well.
    Shame that it isn't the same, but such is life I suppose.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The porcelain bottle isn't the telling sign of the "good Old Spice". You need to look on the back and see if it was manufactured by Shulton. The Shulton Old Spice was manufactured before 1993. Here is a link to identify what you have.
    http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Bottles/traditional bottles.html

Woohog1 and Jim99 like this.
  14. Woohog1

Woohog1 Member

Thanks for the link I'll be sure to save it, and next time I get a chance I'll look at the bottles and see if they are the "real" stuff or not.

15. Tim Spencer

Anyone know how to "reliably" get a "real" bottle of Shulton Old Spice? I'm skeptical of ebay and always paranoid that the seller is putting cheapie stuff in the bottle. I only buy the more 'modern' splash cologne gift sets that people put up for sale as it seems more believable that someone will sell the real deal of that (only 3 years old or so).

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just look at the sellers history, and you just have to trust them. I've many bottles of Shulton Old Spice, bought off of eBay, and haven't been burned yet.
    The way I know it hasn't been messed with is I have a couple of bottles that were NOS, never opened, and I put some of the NOS on one arm, and the newly bought stuff on the other. It should smell the same, even hours later.
    Just buy some, if you haven't tried the old stuff, you are in for a treat.

17. Tim Spencer

Like Mulder in the X-Files, "I want to believe". But my Skully sensibilities reasons there is likely fraud.

Like I said. If anyone knows a reliable seller they can vouch for and why, I would be willing to buy. But I want references.

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/301120019317?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&_mwBanner=1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    $30 + shipping. Knock yourself out. Shave soap, shave cream, AS, and cologne, and a hand hammered collectible tin. 26 years old. You won't find a better deal.

gorgo2, ninjack, Tim Spencer and 2 others like this.
  19. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I have a bottle of OS original which is made in Germany by Proctor and Gamble. This is the first bottle I've bought and it doesn't smell how I remember Old Spice, when my Dad used it many years ago. I'm not sure if I have a faulty memory of the smell.

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

does your bottle have "1938" on it, or "Classique"?