Anybody cut the cord?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by txskimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's the Diamond image TV antenna I have two and they work great! $15 @Joef @Surlyduck

Surlyduck and Troy M like this.
  2. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to look into this. Thank you sir!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Where did you find these for $15?

4. RaZorBurn123

eBay I paid $12.99 for the first one, $14.99 the second.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

I ordered them two different times. I use a 25ft coaxial cable and moved it close to a window.

6. Surlyduck

Surlyduck Member

That's pretty cool for a minute there I thought it was a directional. It seems like a simple design and for that price you are almost paying for parts only. Good find thanks

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

I've added Sling and I really like it, I'm watching baseball on FS1. I have Netflix and Sling for $27 a month. If you're looking for a good monthly service Sling may fill your needs.

Jim99, trey06dmd and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've been looking at sling and thinking that Sling, an antenna for ota broadcasts and Netflix should do it for me. Your positive feedback about sling is pushing me closer to the edge. I might try it.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

Jim, I'm sold on sling! I watch a lot of the shows I used to watch when I had cable, history channel, TNT, National Geographic. My OTA antenna gets all the local and a bunch of other channels.

Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I was in the sling website last night and it looks like a fair deal. I'm going to put up an antenna for the ota broadcasts and go with sling. Between that and Netflix and my Amazon prime, I should be good and I'll be saving $90 a month.

Hey, I can use that towards razors!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Cut the cord over six years ago and no plans on going back. I bought my own cable modem and a wireless router as well so I don't pay to rent the equipment for $6 or so a month for the internet.

I use a 6 ft or so old Mastercraft (I think) outdoor antenna mounted in the attic. That's hooked to an amplified splitter to my tv's and a computer that I use as a dvr. My tv's are not "smart" but I have media players with a terabyte hard drive on each one. They can access each other, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and the pc I use as a dvr.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Jim99 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

That's exactly what I'm saving!! You can try it free for 7 days.

13. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for college football season, I'd be glad to cut the cord. 90+ channels and we maybe watch shows on 10-15 of them.

RaZorBurn123, ob1page and Jim99 like this.
  14. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Netflix picture quality is hit or miss, but the best image is the one broadcast over the air in 720p or 1080i. Satellite,cable, and streaming all employ more lossy compression. So your 50" tv should look great OTA.

RaZorBurn123 and Jim99 like this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've heard the same thing about ota being better than cable when it comes to image quality. I tried an old set of rabbit ears yesterday and I managed to pick up 4 channels and they looked very sharp while I had the signal. I'm on a fringe area, so I will have to get a fairly robust antenna.

I think I'm going for it.

BigMike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

Very soon you'll be able add just the cable channels you want at a much lower price point.

White731 likes this.
  17. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Netflix quality shouldn't be a miss. If it doesn't look good either your connection or your equipment is to fault, not Netflix.

Robyflexx and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  18. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Too many "reality" cooking, DIY and crafts shows that the wife watches to completely dump Sat TV, have cut back to a very basic package though at less than $50/month. I also have an antenna that brings in 62 channels of which about 20 are worth watching, the rest are shopping, latino or religious. If the choice was mine entirely I'd go with Hulu and OTA and dump the subscriptions service altogether.

RaZorBurn123, ob1page and Jim99 like this.
  19. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Cut the cord... 2yrs back or so when we were trying to cut the fat out of our budget. We were paying for a bundle service of internet, cable, and phone. Cut it down to internet only and got a phone through Ooma. Pay $8 a month for netflix, use our amazon prime for a few other shows and the odd rental here and there.

Had to bump up the internet as we were hitting ou download limits and getting charged overage fees (we watch a lot of kiddie shows in the mornings and evenings).

Jim99 and ob1page like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have an OTA DVR called a Tablo that hooks to an HD antenna and streams live tv and recordings through my amazon fire TV sticks, that along with amazon prime and netflix is usually all I need. I do subscribe to HBO Now also, but only while Game Of Thrones is airing!

Jim99 and ob1page like this.