Too Many Soaps?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by GaryMartin, May 20, 2016.

1. GaryMartin

GaryMartin Member

My honey looked in my shaving soap drawer and asked me if I had enough soap. NO, you can never have too many different soaps!!! What do you all think?

Metro, SHAVEWIZARD420 and ob1page like this.
  2. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I won't be satisfied until I have every soap ever made

ninjack, Spud and ob1page like this.
  3. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

My soap addiction is becoming worse than my razor addiction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninjack likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

When you start to get hit by choice stress, you have too many soaps.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you gauge the size of your soap collection by the number of years it will last you...you might have too many.

At the OP, if your soap still fits in one drawer, you probably don't have too many.

ninjack, barbersurgeon and Hussell like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A person only needs one more soap.

ninjack, dangermouse, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Look at my signature line... It was my 2 years' worth of soaps that prompted it.

8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend says I have way too many soaps, but that is part of the hobby. Soap and aftershave is the majority of my den, but variety is the spice of life, and it is fun to pick and choose what you want to use each day.

JR Reyes and Spud like this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I agree to a point. Somewhere around 14 soaps is my tipping point. At that point I start to get analysis paralysis when trying to choose which soap to use.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's why I have them all in rotation and stick to it. If a soap isn't worth having in the rotation for whatever reason, it's not worth having - PIF it.

JR Reyes, Spud and Bobcat like this.
  11. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Im at about 100 soaps and still dont have enough.

12. SHAVEWIZARD420

Lol you are correct, it does get difficult to decide what to use sometimes, plus the smaller the rotation the more you can learn the characteristics of each soap.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Even up to a couple of years ago when I started kind of hard core down this path, it seemed that most soaps came in "puck" sized blocks; the creams I tried were mostly in tubes.

Now every darn soap comes in a half an ice cream pail sized bucket, and I have mixed emotions about it: the bigger tubs/jars are way easier to load out of, but I could fit twice as many pucks in my drawer, and God knows, I really didn't NEED an extra 25% of every flavor. (For God's sake, I am trying to work through them, not collect grams of them like they are precious metals. )

First world problems suck a rock, don't they?

mrchick, theFAT98, Spud and 2 others like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

I go through total spurts where when the choosing seems like too much (or any at all for that matter) stress, I just hit the random number generator. I do it with hardware and software.... It is pretty fun. Sometimes you will even roll a soap, that while you know you love it, it wasn't "in your mood". You end up using it, and ultimately ask yourself why you don't use it more.

Too cool..

ob1page, SHAVEWIZARD420 and swarden43 like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I can't remember when all of my soaps fit into a drawer...those days are long gone. :)

Halvor, theFAT98 and Spud like this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

The number generator is a great idea, like you said, it may remind you of a neglected soap, or a soap that may not have used in a long time.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

lol....feel like EVERYONES answer in here is correct...and @GaryMartin you answered correctly...dont think it is possible to have "to many soaps"... soaps are by far my biggest AD (really my only one now), and has pretty much always been that way.

theFAT98 likes this.
  18. PickledNorthern

This months's Thirty Day Focus generally speaking, was "May-Hem". A bunch of guys "randomized" everything in their den. This month has been bad for me to be fully involved because of work and traveling, but it was super cool. I came up with combinations I NEVER would have just made. (I used to do it with brush and soap, but this added razor and blade too..)

I highly recommend that anyone who thinks they have too much stuff, put it in a random pool to select their SOTD. You don't even have to use your whole den.

Something to think about.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and ob1page like this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

More than ten soaps would be too much for me. But others will get the scare of their life when they're suddenly down to ten soaps LOL.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

20. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    What you see is what I have; about eleven plus two tubes of cream further back. This is out of sight, out of mind from my wife so if I ever acquired more and it starts spilling to other areas of the bathroom, I'm in trouble. Anyway I'd like to use some of these up before I buy any more.