To buy a Mühle R41 (or not)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Eeyore, May 21, 2016.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My daily razor is a (rather mild) Schick Krona, with a sharp blade, e.g. Feather or Rapira Platinum Lux.

I'm also in love with the Fatip Grande (the new 2015 model, with the broader top cap), because it is great for those days when I only want to do a single or double pass. Compared to the Krona, it's very efficient (no surprise here).

The most aggressive razor that I own is a British NEW LC; I rate it definitely more aggressive than the new model Fatip, and I need to concentrate more to get a good shave than with the Fatip.

I'm intrigued by the post 2013 R41, and it's promised efficiency. But given that a new model Fatip seems to be as aggessive as I like, would it be a waste of money instead?

Of course, the only one who can really answer this question is me, but I'd be interested in your opinion nevertheless :)

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

It's a pretty aggressive thing, I wasn't comfortable using it so it went down the road. Some of the other guys here love it.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great razor. Not my first choice for a daily driver. I get the most comfortable shaves with it if I have 48+ hours of growth.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

For my face, I do a single WTG pass, and it's hard to beat the R41 for that. For my head shaves, I do WTG, XTG, XTG, and the Fatip is far more comfortable.

5. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

The R41 is a bloodbath, until you spend some time with it and even then are very careful. I like mine. It is a smooth shaver on a heavy handle. It took a lot of practice and blood. I would still not want to use it everyday. My daily shave is done with a straight.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. shoe13950

shoe13950 Well-Known Member

It will definetely let you know if you have good technique. It's an enjoyable razor to master. Enjoyable meaning it gives an awesome shave along your journey.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

If you like the Fatip you will like the R41.

8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I don't think you need the Muhle if you have the Fatip, but its always fun to try something new :)

9. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

The R41 is a wonderful razor but, as already mentioned, it will teach you to pay strict attention. If you give it a chance, it will bite you but, once you master it, it will get closer than any other DE razor I've tried. I found that after I felt comfortable using the Mühle, all the other growlers in my rotation seemed meeker by comparison.

10. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I absolutely love my R41, it's the only razor I use anymore. Like others have said it will bite you and your technique has to be solid. Riding the cap tamed it down for me, it's still aggressive but I'm getting irritation free shaves from it. I have mine on a Maggard MR5 handle and it's perfect.

Robyflexx, opsimath, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

More aggressive means "approaching open blade." This simply means less margin of error in technique, as @opsimath ,et al, have noted.

I humbly pose the question:

What would you gain by purchasing an r41, if the Fatip is producing near flawless results? It's pretty much guaranteed you'll like an r41, but is it worth the price of admission?

Want aggressive? Schick E or G, it's straight razors after that.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

If you have good technique it is definitely not a blood bath. I just had my first shave with one and it was wonderful.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Good question ... satisfying my curiosity, I guess.

Thanks for all responses; giving me something to think about.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Must be a technique thing! ;)

AGHisBBS, youngunn and ob1page like this.
  15. ob1page

You can just buy the head and use another handle. Satisfy your curiosity for a few dollars less. If you hate it, or it hates you, there are plenty here who will take it off your hands.

16. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

It is a great razor. It gives a very different shave to any of my other razors. I agree that its a good idea just to buy the head to try it out. That's what I did and never regretted the decision.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

opsimath, AGHisBBS and ob1page like this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Ahh yes, but the Mühle is available now with a tortoiseshell handle, and that looks pretty irresistible;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Slow Joe and ob1page like this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The curiosity bug got me so I had to pick one up (head only). Not a blood bath for me but it did take a few test drives to get a feel for it. Not a daily driver but she's in my rotation.

opsimath, AGHisBBS, Slow Joe and 2 others like this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Decision reached ... thanks all! :D

AGHisBBS, ob1page and Bama Samurai like this.
  20. ob1page

what's the decision?